"Philosophy is just opinions and food for thought...

>"Philosophy is just opinions and food for thought, that's why all philosophers don't agree with each other and often express different viewpoints."
How old were you when you grew out of philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aDD9dceI4b8?t=26
twitter.com/tkmiz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That quotation is philosophy itself.

no, its just thinking. there is a reason why not all thoughts are philosophical.

/thread

today when i saw sasha grey holding a philo book

>How old were you when you grew out of philosophy?
when i found out hot babes are better than reading Hegel

Philosophy at it's core is understanding the world and getting a solid basis of how the world works.
It can be a way of living, or life itself. There is more than one way, understanding the different ones and building your own where others can find themselves is the worth of philosophy lies.
Growing out of it just finding your own way but not making the effort understanding it and how it came to be.

what is the difference between thinking and philosophy?. can you think something that can be out of the philosophy realm?

To think is the way of archieving a philosophy. The broarder you can build the basis, the greater you are. Universal truth is what i strive for, understanding how we think, what decisions are. How we can free ourself, be more than we are.
If you have no more interest in others it may well be that you can create something of your own making. The early you notice this, the further you can go.
Philosophy in depth can only be written in depth if you dedicate your life to a certain point.
Hegel/kant and so on just created something new, using what has been. To be a philosopher doesn't mean just understanding it but striving to creat something new.

you dont answer my question at all.
>To think is the way of archieving a philosophy.
you can think something that don´t achieve a philosophy?.

Philosophy is just endlessly restating what Aristotle and Plato already said almost 2500 years ago.

Philosophers all disagree with each other because they deal with open-ended questions, and it's not like they begin with some single method with which they could all converge on a single answer. "What method?" is, after all, a philosophical question. It's kind of a quixotic endeavor, but whatever.

philosophy is just where people too stupid to hack the hard sciences make shit up to sound self-important. consider the amount of redundancy in philosophy - every tard out there has a different pseudo-latinate term for something and they waste their time arguing if any of them mean anything.

we have climbed to this point in civilization DESPITE philosophers, not because of them.

>we have climbed to this point in civilization DESPITE philosophers, not because of them.
Socrates invented induction
Aristotle invented the scientific method
Every major scientist before the 20th century studied philosophy and oftentimes wrote it as well (Descartes, Leibniz, Pascal, Newton, etc.)

Wow btfo

>Aristotle invented the scientific method
and why the scientific method is not philosophy?.

Sure, thinking literally just a means to an end. Understanding patterns, a larger picture is the way to go.
Thinking is not one dimensional.
if this doesn't suffice then fuck it, i hate writing on my phone. You are not meant for phil if you don't understand it.

Philosophy is an even "harder" science than geometry.

Who. Are. You. Quoting.?.

>Finnegan's Wake
>'s

lmao

>Sure, thinking literally just a means to an end. Understanding patterns, a larger picture is the way to go.
so. thinking becomes philosophy when have in it more tan one concept or can demonstrate that it´s about "the larger picture"?.
my suspiction is that thinking is inherently in that way, is inherently playful with concepts (one, two, about larger picture or about shorter). and philosophy is the monastery of that.
is the religion of the thinking. and because that everything you think is "intelligent" or question something you dont usually question, you think is something philosophical.
and i dont want to talk about modern philosophy and his language and cultural filter.

>Science is just opinions and food for thought, that's why all scientists don't agree with each other and often express different viewpoints

try again, Dr. Tyson

I must admit i'm not a conventional phil person, i like reading all kinds of phil and try not to undermine what people have thought.
Questioning isn't hard, finding another viewpoint, understanding something new is where the worth lies. You seem so determined to say phil is a huge sack of shit.

DO NOT REPLY TO SHILL THREADS

>You seem so determined to say phil is a huge sack of shit.
i say WHY phil is a huge sack of shit (to me)
if all i say is a lie or grandiose or crazyness... well, then i dont have nothing to criticize them.
dont personalize my post, don´t try to reduce to a raw emotion. in this case the emotion comes from the thinking.
or maybe i dont understand a shit your post.
anyway. why you think is not a sack of shit?

youtu.be/aDD9dceI4b8?t=26

I'll fuck your emotions raw.

Maybe philosophy is emphasizing certain thoughts and diminishing others.

I'm too stupid to get philosophy. I've read the classics, anything my philosophy teacher would recommend to me, but all I can think is: why are you complicating your life so goddamn much? What is the fucking point of all this? How does that matter?

Only things I managed to enjoy and get something out of were the ones where philosophy was applied to the real world, like the Meditations, or Leviathan.

Philosophers are in such constant disagreement because philosophy doesn't make gradual progress from some assumed foundation. All of philosophy's goals has to be achieved at once before agreement will happen. This is why it's challenging. Science would look pretty dumb too if it couldn't accomplish anything *until* it found its theory of everything.

It's not 'opinions' either, it's a strict discipline that must obey logical/mathematical rules.

Is that a good book?

I really like this image. It captures certain emotions I feel. Mind if I save it?

Please, go ahead. The original artist is tkmiz, a lot of their art deeply resonates with my soul too.

Here is a link to their twitter: twitter.com/tkmiz

Thank you user

>Philosophy is just opinions and food for thought
Set aside for the moment the huge unacknowledged supposition in the adverb "just," and consider whether the reality matches the stereotype. If philosophy is just inchoate "food for thought" and (presumably) baseless opinion (as opposed to fact?), then why the strong emphasis on logic and reasoned discourse? Most philosophy departments require students to take at least 3 courses in logic before they can be awarded a degree.

About 20 yo.

i now get why pol pot exterminated the "intellectuals"