Why can't Japanese into Christianity? Why has every attempt to Christianize the Japanese failed, even in the modern day...

Why can't Japanese into Christianity? Why has every attempt to Christianize the Japanese failed, even in the modern day? My Japanese teachers are all ex-Mormon missionaries and tell me constantly about the futility of trying to convert them. Why?

youtube.com/watch?v=AqFYxpPghdo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U4mgZXylbIA
youtube.com/watch?v=rZXJH4Qe3Zk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbutsu-shūgō
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimabara_Rebellion
businessinsider.com/herbivore-men-in-japan-are-not-having-sex-8-15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they have superior intelligence

probably because they've been folded a thousand times

wtf dude there were millions of catholic converts in the 16th century

Cause they were fuckin slaughtered bro, they also closed off the country in part to halt christianitys influence.

What is monoculture.

In the days when Jesuits were making a concerted effort to convert Japan, there was a widespread belief that the Emperor was the highest of all gods. Catholics came strolling in and basically said "Our God is above all others" which is an anathema to the shintoism of the time. Hence a very negative reaction and forceful countering by the state.

some people don't like their culture being wiped out

Culture wipe out happens only in select circumstances and you can't really call it culture wipe out you know.

hearty kek

Good. I'd hate to see Christianity eradicate Asian spirituality though the Japanese don't seem spiritual at all. But if they did start pursuing spirituality, I wouldn't want them to pursue Christianity

Because they have they own culture and they didn't lose it.
>inb4 but muh American influence
there is a difference between importing convenient things and changing important aspects of the deep core of culture

>there is a difference between importing convenient things and changing important aspects of the deep core of culture

That happens all the time though. "core" parts of cultre always change all the time.

sure but it's a gradual thing, mass switching religion is something dramatic

And it's happened constantly in history. It's nothing special at all

Because Buddhism is a superior religion in all respects to Christianity.

Christianity can only convert the uncultured swines. In an area where a strong Buddhist culture is present, its almost impossible to convert.

Tibet, Mongolia, China, Japan, Sri Lank, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam etc.

South Korea has a strong Christianity support, but that's mainly due to the Confucian government suppressing Buddhism since Ming dynasty or so.

>South Korea has a strong Christianity support, but that's mainly due to the Confucian government suppressing Buddhism since Ming dynasty or so.

Christianity in SK also became a kind of anti-colonialist force against the Japanese, which is part of why it has a greater impact in Korea.

They're too smart for Christianity

>mormons
>christians

Because Christianity is a farce to justify crimes and hedonism under the premise that anything is forgivable if you say "I believe in Jesus as my personal savior".

Just look at current Japan, they're a lot more civilized, respectful and conservative than the west.

Because Christianity arose in the western tradition and has nothing to do with their cultural past. They only got westernized after WW2 and by that point Christianity had become a farce anyway.

Japan is more shintoist

*Laughs in Nanjing*

Because the Americans said so

They are Shinto

catholic missions converted loads of japs before their shogun banned it and massacred missionary priests and catholic japs.

Because they are soulless gooks

They don't want to become another Filipinos

>In the days when Jesuits were making a concerted effort to convert Japan, there was a widespread belief that the Emperor was the highest of all gods.

It's not a belief, it's a fact that the Emperor is a god.

youtube.com/watch?v=U4mgZXylbIA

>Buddhism
>superior to anything
yes I'm sure that's the reason why its the #1 religion in India today. Oh wait.

>that anything is forgivable if you say "I believe in Jesus as my personal savior"
Only moronic proddies believe that.

Too high IQ.

Notice how only off-brand Asians like Filipinos and south-Koreans are Christian?

Shinto is a 19th century invention. Japan has traditionally been Buddhist.

Brute force works against pacifism.

Hinduism is uniquely capable of absorbing the doctrines of other religions. What the poster said generally is true though. Keep in mind that much of SE Asia was Hindu before they converted to Buddhism.

Missionaries feared the yellow warrior

Also
>Mormons
>Christians

looks like mostly swine countries to me.

>China
Christianity has a large following in China actually. But then anything that even gets 1% of China automatically has a large following.

It is also heavily syncretized so Christians are still BTFO.

Can you provide actual sources to the claim about the dioceses and the number thingy?

There are more Christians than members of the communist party in China by now. Look it up. It is true.

>Hinduism is uniquely capable of absorbing the doctrines of other religions
So is Shinto, it's basically Buddhism at this point

>vietnam
>strong buddhist culture
>many of its inhabitants were converted the catholicism
>largest catholic population in south east asia after Philippines.

There's more X-religion adherents than members of the CCP in China. Doesn't mean shit.

Watch Silence then reply to this thread.

Japan is a swamp where nothing can grow

Great film
Andrew Garfield is shit though

on a side note, explain seppuku. how is ritual suicide supposed to be honorable?

It's the ultimate form of taking responsibility and has the added advantage of not wasting everyone's time with court proceedings

woah

Because being caputured is shamful, being exacuted as a criminal is shameful, being expelled from your social position is shameful

and if your family is also going to be punished because of what you did, killing yourself becomes a way of preserving your family's social status

I thought he and Driver did great.

Holy fuck the scene where the Japanese converts were tied to a stake and had waves crash against them was sickening.

youtube.com/watch?v=rZXJH4Qe3Zk

Go watch Silence, it does a pretty good job of explaining it. The Japanese have a fundamentally different worldview rooted in materialism. They cannot into an abstract singular God that exists nowhere but everywhere, in the sense the West conceives of it. They just look at the world in too different a way.

They are too intelligent to fall for a Jew cult.

>rooted in materialism

That is a pretty narrow minded description of Japanese spirituality. Perhaps you ment to say shinto does not see the material and the spiritual as separate forces but interlinked ones.

Buddhism would further see various spiritual and material phenomena as mere illusions or manifestations rather than as "real"

The assumption of a missionary is that they can change a society by changing the faith of as many people as they can. What they rarely understand is that a person's faith and spirituality is heavily dominated by their society, and unless every member suddenly converted and agreed to change society to better support their new faith, the momentum of a few conversions just won't compare.

Christians are taught that they converted Rome by being underdogs, by moving the poor and downtrodden with love until they reached critical mass and moved the rest of society by their example to convert as well, but in reality it was the other way around and random conversions were mostly incidental to more important missionary acts - establishing organized communities that could insulate itself from assimilation and suppression.

Buddhism is Indo-European. All higher religions are.

They're too fucking based

>americans

Aside from your conception of religion being stupid. Shintoism was profoundly influenced by Buddhism

To their credit they tried that. The first people missionaries tried to convert were daimyo and they wanted to establish relations with the imperial court before the realized the imperial court held no real power.

They set up port cities and communities in kyushu however since these entities often had strong ties to the countries the missionaries were from, they were not looked on favorably by the central authorities who "suppressed" them

t. Butt blasted subhuman

Missionaries get converts by targeting the disenfranchised looking for something they've been denied by circumstance. In a lot of places this means the poor looking for food and a community to protect and accept them.

But in Japan the disenfranchised want social capital, which Christianity offers very little (it goes further in South Korea, hence the greater number of converts there).

The archdioceses are bullshit but Nagasaki has always been center to Christian faith in Japan, since it was usually the first place western ships reached.

Why did Truman bomb Nagasaki?
Did he fear the Catholic samurai?

They actually got quite a few converts in the 16th and 17th century in Kyushu in particular, but they wound up falling out of favor and the shimabara rebellion morphed into a religious revolt so the Shogunate pretty much pulled a spanish inquisition on them, the few crazy bastards who didnt convert pulled a marranos
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbutsu-shūgō
they had basically merged and were practiced as one giant syncretic religion until the Meiji restoration forcibly separated the two, even today most Japs will have a Shinto wedding and a Buddhist funeral

Isn't Christianty a colonial infulence itself? I mean it the religon of the Americans who've pretty much taken over SK.

Your understanding of spirituality is entirely colored by your relationship to Christianity. The Japanese are about as religious as the average western pagan was, it is just that that religion, being paganism, does not entail any kind of personal spiritual connection with the divinity, so its members are not immediately recognizable as religious to people immersed in a Christian world view.

The concept of spirituality itself came into the west through the decline of traditional forms of paganism.

christfags were the worst. they literally preached the destruction of japan to the japanese. there were even christfag samurais.

+1

Anybody claiming that it was because of some fault in Christianity's philosophy is ignorant

It's absolutely none but the dutchies' fault. I'm glad global warming is happening because then the fucking weed apes might finally all drown to death

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shimabara_Rebellion

Dutchies are an ulcer on Europe's seaboard.

Chirstfag samurais are fun as fuck. They put the Fury in Zen Fury.

>south koreans are above japs by 1 IQ point on latest averages

Nippon spirit strong unlike chinese and Korean dog sheep

Lol
businessinsider.com/herbivore-men-in-japan-are-not-having-sex-8-15

It's the stinky amerifats faulth they forced americanism on Japan and did everything they could to eradicate Shintoism and Japanese Values

Buddhism is the cancer of the world brought on the Orient, Wuzong did nothing wrong

>shintoism
>Sucking on emperor's cock repeatedly is a value

The Emperor is s symbol, a personification of japanese race, descended from the sun.
But it's to esoteric for stinky foreigners to understand

>cucked by his own Vassals

Don't believe in God
Just live with Gods

So why would you choose Shinto over hundreds of other pantheons?

Kill yourself, faggot.

>b-but muh emperor!

t. Cultureless Korean american christfag

>choose Shinto
I choose nothing
I was born in the land of Gods and I'll keep living there
It's a normal thing for me

Sorry this post is for

>YANKKK DELET THIS

That's fine by me.

You are only Christian because you were born in a Christian country.

Ancestor worship is common in Japan, and ancestor worship is one of the oldest forms of religious expression, up there with animism.

I think that the Japanese see themselves as having an ethnic religion, and don't want foreign influence.

>japanese native religion has been invented in 19th century

Don't be fucking stupid. They're shinto-budhists.

Japanese people love Christianity and have a high respect for Christians. They just don't care to change their traditions. The first English speaking Japanese person I talked to in Tokyo went to a Christian school.

t. Guy who visited Japan 7 months ago

You just got BTFO. Own up to it.

Tell that to the Christians in China, India, Pakistan, Nepal, Malaysia, etc.

I've always thought most of them had a very superficial understanding of Christianity, basically it starting and ending at Catholic aesthetics. Just like with our yuppies and Buddhism.
Then again, my only experience with Japan is from vidya and animays.

Ancestor worship is not in the way of accepted Christianity, the reason Christianity got suppressed during Qing to begin with was because of the Pope saying ancestor and Confucian rites were absolute heresy.

Ironically, China might have been Christian eventually, considering it is very similar to Heaven worship in many cases, just replace Jesus with the Emperor, and the early Jesuits didn't breech the word of Jesus, only God. But Pope has to fuck it up somehow.

Japan elite is christian like our elite is jews.

Read Hegel on self-sacrifice during war. Same thing.

Japan's elite are all actual Shintoists, I thought. Isn't Abe part of some group?