Just finished reading this...

Just finished reading this. Impressive how a shitty destitute country managed to become a considerable power in a single generation just through the ambition of a few clever men. The moment they were replaced it all went to shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_clausum#Mare_clausum_in_the_Age_of_discovery
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_Portuguese_Empire#Present-day_countries_with_territories_once_part_of_the_Portuguese_Empire
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carracks_black_sword
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padrão
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirazi_era
pastebin.com/0kiyJ2U5
youtube.com/watch?v=v_2fyB4dj4U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm reading it right now. I'm Brazilian and we were taught in school that Vasco da Gama and Cabral were pioneering heroes, but it turns out that they were just complete thugs bullying Indians and Africans into "friendship," alliances, and trade.

So this must be how Americans must feel about Columbus when they find out how bad he really was.

Columbus isn't really like some American folk hero, Italian-Americans tried for a while to paint him that way - even pushing for the Columbus day holiday.
Even in elementary school they tell you more or less the true story, and its not as much as a common misconception as it used to be.

Finns have a saying: Hell belongs to heroes.

It would've been nice for the Portuguese to have been less morally objectionable, but this is how conquest had to be done, and what they had to do to break into the spice trade. Albuquerque himself, possibly the most bloodthirsty of the men in charge, said that the people of the Indies only respected force. Otherwise, the moment they would turn their backs they'd get betrayed.

But the funny thing is that this fervor wasn't all just for the sake of Portugal, it was for the destruction of Islam. I feel the world would've become a very different place if Portugal was a bit more lucky during these times.

The more I hear about the Finns the more alien they seem.

It's kinda interesting how one of the poorest Western European countries of that day conquered their way across Asia.

Kind neat and quite impressive when you look at the maritime aspect of it all.

Finns have a saying: benis belongs in bagina

I've hears that the phrase "I love you" more or less translates to "the one I hate the least"

Man ships of that period looked bizarre, what with the massive fore and aft castles. I always wondered how they stayed afloat when they were that top-heavy.

The planking and ribs grew thinner as they went up, they had ballast and a relatively low length to beam ratio.

What was the purpose? Was it just a transitionary kind of design from the fighting castles on Medieval ships?

Boarding would remain the main way of taking out ships well into the 16th century. The ship with the higher freeboard and castles generally had the advantage.

I just started reading it and a lot of it isnt sourced very well.

Can't find anything on the gigantic Dhows he's talking about.

Portugal had many great people, soldiers and intelectuals after and before the era the book covers

Da Gama was an absolute madman
Very cheeky

>conquered their way across Asia.
>Just sat on the shorelines of some areas where civilization existed while conquering island peoples.

>Da Gama

Just Gama. Da/de/do basically means "of" in portuguese.

Close enough.

Portugal's plan was to create their own Mare Clausum. By taking over the coastal regions around their area of influence they could prevent people from trading or navegating in "their" ocean without permission.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_clausum#Mare_clausum_in_the_Age_of_discovery

Well that wasn't achieved in Asia considering the Dutch booted them out of places there, Spain dominated the Philippines, and Portugal's presence in Macau is mandated in China.

Goa seems to be the only success story.

Columbus was worse, burned women and children at green wood stakes (it takes longer) and made the fathers and husbands watch, until they told them where "all the gold mines" were. Then he jacked off to the bible while he confessed his sins. Fucking Catholics.

They had other places along the african coast, the Arabian peninsula, India and Indonesia.
If you want a full list:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_Portuguese_Empire#Present-day_countries_with_territories_once_part_of_the_Portuguese_Empire

The dutch only came a century or so later and they were in good terms with the Spanish in the Philippines who also profited from the spice trade.

The Dutch empire in Asia was basically the (stolen) Portuguese empire, to be fair.

Crowley's probably my favorite pop historian. The only one of his books I haven't read yet is 1453 but that, Empires of the Sea and City of Fortune are fantastic. He knows how to tell a story; made me want to see a good movie about the Great Siege of Malta.

It was indeed achieved, but only for a century. And after the Dutch came in, the Portuguese came back and recaptured most of their territories.

Relevant map

Fucking sea jews

Anyone have any books/information about Portuguese in the Persian Gulf?

>Impressive how a shitty destitute country managed to become a considerable power in a single generation just through the ambition of a few clever men
t. every goddamn empire ever

>tfw we could thwarted Alberto Barbossa's ambition if we don't relied on shitty foreign mercenary who betrayed us for moortugal gold.

>Always wanted to read a book about Albuquerque, the man unmentioned by history
>Suddenly my favorite historian have written a book about him
I cried manly tears in that bookstore.

We know, but he's conventionally called "Da Gama" in English, unlike some other Iberians. Miguel de Cervantes, for example, is just "Cervantes."
It's very idiosyncratic, and you just have to know what the convention is for that person.

I liked 1453 a lot, better than City of fortune and probably even better than Empires of the Sea. It's a more focused story than either, and, while I love Venice, I think its political and economic history is more interesting than the military stuff. Thomas Madden's Venice: A New History is my favorite pop history of Venice.

Not at this scale, dumbass.

Vasco Da Gamas letters are a joy to read.

The guy just didn't give a fuck on his second voyage.

But even then he apparently still took in some Muslim orphans (who he made into orphans beforehand).

Bump

Why is a diminutive midget Spain hovering over an enthroned, larger Portugal? What did he mean by this?

There was a period of time where Portugal and Spain had the same King

Does he specify what kind of weapons and armor they used?

The book has a bunch of shit on how they started using pikes but I'm curious what they had before those.

The book mentions how at first they employed typical Medieval tactics. Noblemen on some cuirasses with two-hander swords, crossbows and very few muskets.

Vasco never specifically mentions full equipment.

But Crowley wrote in some passages that the large swords (not sure if he called them Two Handers or not) they used were a hindrance in the small nooks and cranies of the cities they attacked.

Can't re-call if he mentioned the crab sword and the parry dagger combination.

What was mentioned is as said.

Crossbows, Muskets, Metal Cuirasses, but Legs were unarmoured.

The book in the OP has a bit about it, but mostly regarding Ormuz.

Yeah I read that too but there are literally no footnotes in the book so I couldn't check it. The two handers aren't expanded upon either so it's hard to tell whether they are talking about actual greatswords or simple longsword.

The amor isn't mentioned in detail either so I found it hard to determine whether they were still wearing sallets or some newer helmets.

Does he mention bits and pieces of his equipment?

>Portuboos
Literally why?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carracks_black_sword

I like a good underdog, rags to riches story.

Quite an impressive achievement. I believe their discoveries and trade contributed a lot to the venetian downfall.
You can just imagine their REEEEEEEEEs when they heard the portuguese discovered a maritime way to india, which would end the trading of spices across land in large scale, which they dominated

A sword with the blade painted black
also
"It was also known by Portuguese soldiers as colhona (which in rude Portuguese means approximately “big balls”) due to the roundshape of the terminal plates, reminiscent of a representation of the testicles in a phallic symbol in the form of sword."

That's fucking badass

you're still taught in (((school))) that the Europeans were the good guys?

wtf I love Brazil now

I'm European and we're not even taught that.

Nothing that I can re-call.

Sorry, mate.

I myself as I was reading the book tried to look up the equipment, depictions of the Explorers but couldn't find anything

Which is especially odd considering that Brazil spawned the man who singlehandedly destroyed modern education, Paulo Freire.

there is nothing wrong with his methods on a elementary-level education
people just took it too far

Crowley mentions that the Venetians actively collaborated with the Muslims to stop the Portuguese from gaining the monopoly on maritime trade.

If I re-call correctly they supplied the Muslims with canons, engineers and spy reports.

Weren't the Venetians and Ottomans enemies?

What are sworn enemies when it comes to the smell of shekels?

these look relevant
Matthee, Rudi, and Jorge Flores. Portugal, the Persian Gulf and Safavid Persia. Papers presented at a conference in marking the quincentennial anniversary of the arrival of the Portuguese in the Persian Gulf in 1507, Paris, 2008. Leuven, Belgium: Peeters, 2011.
>A selection of papers from a conference in 2007 marking the quincentennial anniversary of the arrival of the Portuguese in the Persian Gulf in 1507. The table of contents is available online.
Matthee, Rudi. “Distant Allies: Diplomatic Contacts between Portugal and Iran in the Reign of Shah Tahmasp, 1524–1576.” In Portugal, the Persian Gulf and Safavid Persia. Edited by Rudi Matthee and Jorge Flores, 219–247. Leuven, Belgium: Peeters, 2011.
>Notes the limited nature of Safavid interest in the Persian Gulf and its trade during this period and suggests that the Portuguese also had limited goals in the Gulf, mainly an anti-Ottoman alliance in the aftermath of the Ottoman capture of Constantinople in 1453.

dis too maybe
Matthee, Rudi. “The Politics of Protection: Iberian Missionaries in Safavid Iran under Shah ʿAbbas I (1587–1629).” In Contacts and Controversies between Muslims, Jews and Christians in the Ottoman Empire and Pre-Modern Iran. Edited by Camilla Adang and Sabine Schmidtke, 245–271. Würzburg, Germany: Ergon Verlag, 2010.
>Notes that the missionaries “served as political intermediaries with the outside world . . . and their presence and activities created serious tensions among various religious groups with ties to the royal court—most notably the Shi`i clerics and the members of the Armenian community” (p. 245). There was also bitter conflict between the various missionary groups, often reflective of clashing agendas of the different European powers with which each was identified.

lmao who made this video?

They collaborated mostly with the Mamluks. But there were also many Venetian traders travelling in Portuguese ships.

All Portugal did in the Indian ocean was sink their competitors. The Dutch actually managed the large scale trade needed and regulated trading licenses.

It's some kind of series, this scene is apparently just to get plot rolling about someone smuggling gas-canisters or something like that.

Why didn't the portuguese ever seriously settle South Africa? I suppose it has to do with their interest in trade and extractive industries? after all, most of colonial brazilian history centers on the tropical northeast of the country because that's where the sugar was grown, only in the 19th century did it shift toward the arid and habitable areas of rio grande do sul which, i i'm not mistaken, has a climate much like nice parts of south africa

Portugal in face of their size, is one of the most glorious european countries that ever existed.

Ha, no. Not at all. What I learned in school was that the Portuguese were pretty nice to the Natives, either ignoring them or trying to befriend them, whereas Spanish and English were genociding them. And that the Portuguese settlers in Brazil were treated just a teensy bit better than African slaves by the European elite.

I believe it was because there was never anything to trade or exploit in the area so it wouldn't be a very profitable place to colonize. Portugal had a very small amount of manpower and it was already busy with Brazil + Africa/India. However it was loosely under portuguese control for sometime to the point where they even erected a Padrão in the region

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padrão

>A musket shot caught Abreu in the face, smashing his teeth and carrying away part of his tongue, but when Albuquerque ordered the injured man to be replaced, Abreu refused point-blank, declaring “as long as he had feet to walk, hands to fight, some tongue left to give commands, that whatever life left that he had he wouldn’t give up his post to anyone.”

>Albuquerque was hit in the left arm by an arrow that lodged in the bone; a few minutes later he was hit again, in the neck by a dart that penetrated his throat guard. Then a bullet caught him in the chest. He called out for the protection of Our Lady of Guadalupe as he collapsed to the ground.

>Manuel de Lacerda, was pierced just below the eye by a barbed arrow, which embedded itself too deeply to be removed. He snapped off the shaft and fought on with the ghastly stump protruding from his bloody face.

interesting

Didn't they all survive this one as well?

What were these people made off?

>This buthurt

Malaca, Ormuz, Ceylon, Nagasaki, Goa, Macau, Bengal, Moçambique...

Sounds like fucking klingon

This. They tried to take control over the trade routes by simply conquering the commercial hubs, but then traders just changed routes and left the Portuguese-controlled towns useless.

The Dutch at least pioneered a new trade route, direct to Java, which is how they managed to out-compete everyone else.

One typical example of Portuguese conquest, in East Africa.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirazi_era

>The "Shirazi era" refers to a period in the history of Southeast Africa (and especially Tanzania), between the 13th century and 15th century, when Persian city-states were founded on the eastern coast of Africa as well as on its islands. These Persian settlers were mostly from the Shiraz region, and the present day Shirazi people claim to descend from these settlers, though this tradition is disputed.

>The Shirazi Era came to an abrupt end with the advent of the Portuguese at the end of the 15th century. The Portuguese first raided and then conquered the Shirazi/Swahili cities, with the aim of controlling the trading routes in the Indian Ocean. In fact, they did not achieve their aim, as the fall of the Shirazi city-states actually caused trading between Africa and Asia to collapse and eventually extinguish.

Fernão Mendes Pinto - peregrinação (pilgrimage)

A first hand account of China and Vietname and siam, the discovery of Japan by europeans, the saint Francisco Xavier, the activities and modus operandi of the portuguese...

Bartolomeu Dias, cape of the good hope

They did.

I read quite a lot about wounds people sustained in this era and the medical treatment available. From what I gather arrow wounds to the limbs and face had a very high survival rate and it wasn't uncommon for soldiers to survive multiple throughout their career.

Gonna save this because it's autistic af

Does it come from /pol/, btw?

In the state of Texas the earliest English speaking figure that comes up on subject matter of the New world is Sir Francis Drake who was a pirate. He killed Spanish sailors with fire ships in order steal their cargoes of gold and sliver. He was a true pioneering hero for he should that new world ventures could be profitable to the English crown. A great many pirates followed in his foot steps, clearing the way for English settlement in the New World.

The textbooks do not cover the great many other things that Sir Francis Drake did in Europe like modernizing the English army.

so i've collected all the english works on portugal and the portuguese empire i can find in a single pastebin which i'll make some charts out of eventually
pastebin.com/0kiyJ2U5

the links in the beginning are to bibliographies i haven't formatted yet because they contain a shit ton more books.

Thanks user, that's pretty good

>Portuguese Discoveries.
>Continental Asia.
Ok.

It wasn't as if other Europeans visited there before Portucucks did. A certain Venetian explorer comes to mind.

In addition to being inhabitted by vast record-keeping civilizations, whose writings were already reaching westward by that point.

The rule is, it only counts if it's done by white people

made a first chart

np

>one of the poorest Western European countries of that day
It still is

It fact it wasn´t and even today call Portugal a poor country is somehow like delusional, since their are in the top 30 world wide rich/quality of life/well being. Only if you compare that "poverty" with Norway or Germany.

They are the poorest of western europe just like I quoted. Of course they aren't poor relative the to the rest of the world, they're europeans ffs.

Un estilo muy libre.

So Portuguese are White but Venetians somehow aren't?

Are you some special kind of retarded, you little racist shitheap?

Sounds like an investment pump and dump scheme desu. Eg a bunch of Venetian and Genoese bankers invest in Portugese shipping companies, pull all their capital after they've made enough profit and crash the economy, buy up more Portugese assets at bargain prices. Is this what happened?

Privateer not pirate

Marco Polo found jack shit, he used a know route, while the portuguese made maps of the lands they found, in many places it was hard due to ship wreackage, the portuguese didn't lie like his book he wanted to sell, AND THE PORTUGUESE MANAGED to bring back embassators while Colombo cuck didn't, stay mad

Saved

Roberto.

Crowely sure has a way with words. Some of his descriptions just make me feel like i'm right in there, feeling the sea breeze and smeel of rotting wood.

Rawbert

bump

Reading his book I always imagined a movie adaption with this as the trailer music.

A ship during a thunderstorm breaking through the waves, the camera slowly paning alongside it, showing crew from a bird-eye view a lightning bolt illuminating from time to time, a final lighting bolt illuminating the blood red cross as the camera towards the sail.

The Instrumentals hitting as the cross is seen.

Forgot the clip of course

youtube.com/watch?v=v_2fyB4dj4U