ITT: aesthetic historical weapons

ITT: aesthetic historical weapons

Magyar? Turko-Mongol saber?

I quite like the Japanese sword from the Russo Japanese war, bit of a saber and katana mix.

1. "AESTHETIC" IS A NOUN, NOT AN ADJECTIVE.

2. "AESTHETIC" IS SYNONYMOUS WITH "STYLE"; "AESTHETIC" IS NOT SYNONYMOUS WITH "BEAUTIFUL".

3. ATTACHED TO THIS POST: AN IMAGE OF THE BEST PISTOL EVER CREATED.

Close, Danube Bulgar saber from the 9th century. Fuckloads of weapons found in Bulgaria recently there was an exposition called "7000 years of warfare in Bulgaria" anything from stone weapons to German STG44s. I can post picture of the bladed weapons part of the exposition.

>Luger
>best pistol ever
Not even in terms of aesthetics.

That's very ugly.

You're very ugly you tasteless nerd

There is a really good paper on its use and development.
It's like "forsaken kendo, katate gunto jutsu" iirc.

This is stupid. Why did no one tell the man who made this that his idea was stupid?

Sword of Goujian.

Chinese ring pommel sword, modern replica .
One of the ancestors of East Asian swords.

Antique royal sword of Qianlong Emperor.

swords are lame. spears are cool

autism

The middle one is a long ass Viking sword

I don't think either of those was intended to be used, ever.

>german pistol

royal danish archive. bruh.

>Tyskland

It pays having a passing acquaintance with languages other than English, user

that's a polearm, not a spear, dude

also, here's my very own colt navy repro, best looking SA revolver in my opinion

Yatagan bayonets are aesthetic as fuck

>museums don't have things from other countries

t. neurotypical

Yes absolutely

Looks like a bad replica. It tapers near the guard and the handle wrapping is probably entirely fictional. The guard and the scabbard belongs to a Jian and I haven't seen a pommel like that until at least the Sui dynasty.

Here is an actual Han Dao.

Already did check

Long recoil is so fucking sexy!

I love Shermans because they remind me of Metal Slug

Why did bulgars transition from sabres to migration era swords so early on? The Byzantines and the Turks had no problem using sabres till at least the 13th century.

Actually the migration era swords were likely as payment for passage as there are no records Bulgars ever used them. There are even Varangian and true Viking swords found in Bulgaria. Basically what is known the evolution was like this

Sabres - VIIth to XIth Centuries
Arming swords XIth to XIIIth Century
Longswords/Hand and a half swords from mid XIVth century.

That makes sense. Know any books or video introduction to Bulgarian history?

About the weapons the majority of the books are in Bulgarian. There are general history books in English especially the relations between Bulgaria and Byzantium, or the war and defeat of the Latin empire. Just google books about medieval Bulgaria

Maybe this one is a bit better.

Here is another Han antique from Hangzhou museum.

Inca halberd

Abacus Sword.
Probably Qing dynasty antique.

Abacus....

Aghh, it looks very well made but it still suffers from the same mistake.

The problem is that Chinese blacksmiths are trying to make a STEEL Han Dao look decorative, when they were manufactuared by the hundreds of thousands for common soldiers. Bronze Han doss are very decorative and beautiful though.

The blacksmiths are aiming too close to later period swords such as this pic. It also looks too much like Korean/Japanese Ring swords with heavy studded pommels and thick hand guard.

Later Chinese daos had crossguards with thin but intricate flower ring pommels.

That one looks much better. It's simple and practical. Efficient.

Confucian gone wrong

jineta sword (moorish sword)

>no crossguard

Enjoy your severed hand.

one of the most underrated swords imo
probably because it is ottoman

Not all swords need a cross guard, it depends on the intended use for the sword. Viking swords had a mininal cross guard. OPs picture is also an example it was meant as a sidearm for horse arches and as such doesn't really need a cross guard.

Several reasons actually
First by the Xth century Bulgars still retained some of their original identity meaning their army was predominally horse based with the Slavs living in the empire providing the infantry. When the country got Christianized and the language stardartised and written in its own new alphabeth the population mixed up this the Bulgars became the Bulgarians and the army was slowly restructured until it was a mix between Western and Byzantine style equipment, hence the saber slowly gave way to swords of western design, however there are accounts of Bulgarian warriors from the 13th century who still used the traditional saber. That said the sword was ALWAYS a siderm for the Bulgars. First it was a sidearm of the horse archers then it became a sidearm of the spearmen.

How do you hold it?

Because it's not really a sword it's a sword shaped cleaver

Uh, planes and tanks aren't really "weapons."

Hi skall

pic related dates to 11th to 15th century switzerland. called by the people "Rossschinder", steed flayer. And indeed it is said in old manuscripts, that the swiss men armed with these weapons (don't know the proper english word, Hellebarden in german) would cut right through the armor of the enemy soldiers and slaughtered them like pigs, so to speak. if you're interested, look up Schlacht bei Morgarten, i think it was this battle that was written about.

The peasant slayer

Are there schematics of this available online?

More like elongated Falcata/kopis (both have related design), which is seen in other areas where Greeks lived for time, including India.

Aforementioned Indian weapon

This is brilliant.

I'm not a gun enthusiast, I don't even own a gun but this one looks like fucking sex in gun form.

is this to count how many you have killed in battle?

Closest I could find.

WW2 Chinese Da Dao.
Crude but sturdy and useful.

is this essentially a jian? or an ancestor of the popular known jian

Macuahuitl (Muh-Kwah-Weet)

Mesoamerican broadsword developed and used by the Aztecs. It was preceded by the shorter Toltec version of the weapon. A strong wooden club in the shape of a paddle was lined with razor sharp obsidian blades. The blades were described by conquistadors as sharp enough to "shave with".

Bernal Diaz describes an account where a single downward cut from one of these swords nearly beheaded a horse, only the flesh on the horses lower neck remained intact. In another instance a horse was disimboweled by a single slash, and died instantly. They came in one handed variants which had a wrist strap and were often used with a shield, and two handed variants as long as a european longsword.

There's just something really comfy about it.

looks like a 1950s kitchen appliance
comfy indeed

I want to fuck a wheellock

Wouldn't the barrel of the gun get blocked up with blood and guts?

Some pretty wheel lock pistols

uh? you first use the pistols at close range and then the pointy stick at even closer range.

José de San Martín's curved saber