Why have the byzantines become such a meme among suburban american boys (with the vast majority having presumably zero...

why have the byzantines become such a meme among suburban american boys (with the vast majority having presumably zero greek or anatolian heritage) the past couple years?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits
youtu.be/wnrTIyJVpVc?t=17m20s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't think they have?

What the fuck are you talking about?

I have noticed a spike in interest, but no WE WUZIN. I think its because Byzantium has been ignored and dismissed throughout most of the history of anglo thought, so they really aren't in the American historical consciousness or cultural lineage. So they're the type of thing only people interested in history will give a shit about so autist into that will become enamored with them

Aren't those Egyptians?

It's a reactionary response to the notion that Islam is gaining a significant influence in Europe due to the recent mass immigrations. That's why you see retards saying DEUS VULT and whatnot.

>"Under Greco-Roman rule, Egypt hosted several Greek settlements, mostly concentrated in Alexandria, but also in a few other cities, where Greek settlers lived alongside some seven to ten million native Egyptians."

They're Greeks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fayum_mummy_portraits

Not sure about America but here in Australia they didn't teach us about the Byzantines whatsoever in school. Comes as quite a shock to find out about it as you become an adult on your own research and likely that influenced many peoples opinions.

>why have the byzantines become such a meme among suburban american boys
You mean among Veeky Forums ? Because outside of Veeky Forums it is already increadible if someone even knows what the Byzantine Empire was

They're Sicilians*

No, the Roman age genetic results from Fayum prove that they were locals.

People don't learn about it in school so when they find out thst the Roman Empire survived for 1000 years longer than they thought it did they find it pretty cool
>Suburban American boys
What the fuck did you mean by this

This
Fuck off retard "suburban american boys" means what exactly?

this

triggered snowflakes

Same here, but we had a great Ancient History teacher who was into the British historian John Romer, learnt about Byzantium from him. In actual school we learnt more about Byzantium in Visual Arts than History.

Byzantine Empire was a huge joke and i'm glad we Turks and Latins destroyed that piece of shit.
Khalid ibn al-Walid also singlehandedly cucked that pathetic empire.

Byzieboos from paradox hames?

>it's an "Everyone I disagree with is an American" episode

youtu.be/wnrTIyJVpVc?t=17m20s
>byzaboos

FUCK BYZANTINES

Phokas did nothing wrong.

It's because it was (Eastern) Rome. Think of all the mystique Rome had and then consider that a successor state lasted almost a thousand years after anglos stopped caring, even reconquering Rome for a while after the magic 476 date.

I'm not a byzaboo but with all the Greco-Roman circlejerking in the popular imagination of history it's not hard to see how they develop.

Where are your sources? How does this qualify as high quality discourse?

saged

It's trickled down from the "late antiquity" fad that has dominated the academy for the last couple decades. They argue that 476, and the 5th century in general don't represent a discontinuity between the Classical world and the Medieval. Naturally, this involves focusing more on the Eastern empire than the smoking ruins of the West.

2/2 from Bryan Ward Perkins' The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization