Genuine question to those genuinely religious, what makes you think your religion is the right one...

Genuine question to those genuinely religious, what makes you think your religion is the right one? If you'd been born elsewhere you're just as likely to be a muslim, sikh, zoroastrian etc

>what makes you think your religion is the right one?
Philosophy and history.
And I wasn't born into a religion unless you think atheism is a religion, I converted when I was 22 after doing research.
You realise that abrahamic and indian/asian religions have coexisted for thousands of years though right?
That line of thinking only has any merit or value when you consider eternal damnation though, not which is the 'right one'.

I have taken refuge in Buddhism after a long period of learning and practising the dharma. I believe that everyone should be exposed to the dharma, but it is not an imperative to 'convert' people belligerently.

Many different paths lead to the same mountain peak.

which religion my man

Buddhism is less of a religion and more of a way of life tbqh

I was deist/nominally christian until I converted to traditional Catholicism in my teenage years. Being born somewhere doesn't define your religious beliefs. It's like me saying that you're only irreligious because you were born in post-1960s Europe and grew up in an increasingly secular setting.

strict dogmatic thinking used to justify forced conversions and the like is a feature only of a select few systems of religious belief
even the central three people in your pic may turn out to bigger pluralists than you think
you are using the internet so you can interact with all manner of religious communities and as humanity is increasingly less separate the easier you can do it offline too
a person thinks his or her religion is the right one because he or she hasn't found a better path but the reason for that doesn't have to be geographical or linguistic

All but one of those religions are punished their entire lives

>beginning of time to 2016
If you don't follow our religion you are damned, if you do you'll be happy
>2017-2050
It's okay, all religions are great, just don't be an atheist
>2050-eternity
Allahu Akbar, kill all infidels.

Why are seculars so absolutely autistic?
btw truth doesn't exist, ideologue.

>what makes you think your religion is the right one?

by personally and scientifically testing every single teaching, idea and practice in it

t. buddhist

Fuck off and eat your avocados, dipshit.
>this is what nihilists actually believe

>I'm a loving, critically thinking Christian
>FUCK OFF I HATE YOU ALL BE DAMNED YOU KEKS GO DIE
What did he mean by this?

What did YOU mean by this?
He didn't imply either of those in posts.

in his posts*

Excerpts from a speech Swami Vivekananda gave at the 1893 World's Parliament of Religions in Chicago.

"As the different streams having their sources in different paths which men take through different tendencies, various though they appear, crooked or straight, all lead to Thee."

"Whosoever comes to Me, through whatsoever form, I reach him; all men are struggling through paths which in the end lead to me."

This is the idea that Hindu's hold towards other religions.

Kek

>Swami Vivekananda
dropped
kys

why? what do you have against based vivekananda?

There is no "right one". I've always found the very concept to be fucking retarded. Which animal is the "right one"? See how stupid that question is? Only jews push this "we have the right religion" bullshit, because forced hegemony is built into the cancer that is their war religion.

>Lives in the west
>Just happened to choose christianity because it's the "best"
>"Where you're born doesn't determine what you believe!"

I was born a muslim, was atheist when I was 16 now a muslim because of culture and tradition

the one that is deeply routed in western culture which has proven to be the best kind of culture in the world

>critical thinking
Humanist meme; has no place within Christianity. Isn't even possible.

WE WUZ VIKANGZ N SHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

I was born into an atheistic family, in my mid teens 15ish orso I concluded that I could not possibly know the existance of any deity with supernatural powers. At around 17 after deep contemplation I resulted in this and started believing in the possibility of a god:

Life is like a school, you learn allot, become wiser and as you begin to understand the suffering of your fellow man/woman you realize that a spark of compassion ignites.
If man was indeed made in the image of god then I'd say that god is the ultimate version of what it means to be human. God is wise, understanding, compasionate. Also I can't say I believe in god being some bearded cloud guy but that's no reason not to believe in god.
Therefore I prefer the term Spirit.

Now I tend to lean more towards a mix of native american, hinduism, toaism and buddhism. But I've never been properly educated into the meanings of half of these religions so I guess most of it is just me reading their texts and interperting it for myself.

My family absolutely ridiculed me for this but I don't care.

Buddhists and Sihks don't claim to be the only holders of absolute truth, they might think they're closer though.

>living on a mountaintop
>throwing thunderbolts
>fucking every qt on the continent

good choice user

Fucking hate people that say this bullshit. Buddhism has just as many articles of faith as any other religion: Karma, Nirvana, reincarnation, ghosts, hells (yes, plural), and Bodhisattvas. Stop giving Buddhism a pass.

They think they're close enough to justify killing Muslims.

the situation in Myanmar is that the Buddhists didn't take shit when the Muslims started doing what Muslims fucking do.
They don't claim that Buddhism justifies them either, just that they won't tolerate their bullshit.

Humanities was a mistake.

faith is an admission of weakness, you gave up thinking and settled for some impossible nonsense, you got tricked into playing someone else's game, now you rationalize it with concepts like tradition

How do I not get tricked into playing someone else's game? Asking for a friend.

I had a religious experience where a buddha or a bodhisattva told me Buddhism requires faith.

>Buddhism is less of a religion and more of a way of life tbqh
Only for watered down US consumption.

Went to a Buddhist's club in Uni wanting to learn more, because I thought that way.

it was like being ina christian bible study group.

So you went from christianity to another form of christianity.

>It's like me saying that you're only irreligious because you were born in post-1960s Europe and grew up in an increasingly secular setting.
This is actually sorta true. If I'd been born in 1400s Europe I'd most likely be a christian of some form. How devout is up for debate though.

This. If you're christian you have to at some point stop thinking critically and just accept things as truth. Otherwise you're just a pretend-christian play acting for your church buddies

>Being a world-wrecking sociopath who isn't even faithful to his own fucking family
>Western culture
Hmm...really makes you stink.

>thinking is good
t. Letzter Mensch

>Only jews push this "we have the right religion" bullshit,
In my country there's a very strong christian movement that is pushing for and against laws, based on their religious views (homosexuality is a sin etc). Implicitly, this means that Christianity is the objective truth.

Pretty much what others have been saying here is that there are different paths to the same God. I am a Christian and follow Christian practices etc but am okay with other religions because they are all just different paths.

However, I believe Mother Theresa once said something like, "All religions are the same but I like mine the best." Even though they are the same, I would still be uncomfortable converting to another religion or casually for example praying to Vishnu or sacrificing a lamb to Odin or something like that. They are all okay for someone who belongs to those religions, but I personally would feel uncomfortable doing those things

So the Aztec religion where you ritually cut people's chests with a knife and pull their beating hearts out to feed the sun god will lead you to God?

Christianity is a jewish religion.

*floods the Earth*
*sacrifices only begotten son and sends him to hell*

Probably yeah. As barbaric as it sounds to us now, they thought they were doing the right thing. And with God being the ultimate judge, if they were righteous in their actions and believed their freewill was doing the right thing then I don't see why not

Oh the jew god is worlds worse, but Zeus is still a fucking prick.

Mine is coherent in relation to what happens in the entire world, while most religions contradict their own dogmas. I wouldn't call it a religion though, it's more of a way of thinking.