Business Startup 101

Hello Veeky Forums,

I wanted to try something new amongst the plethora of shill threads and try and talk business with you folks. While we all have different things that drive us, I believe we all share an entrepreneurial spirit with the dream of ultimately escaping the dreaded wagecuck life.

If I had to guess, I’d say that a good majority of this board has hopes and dreams of owning their own business one day, but has no idea where to start. I’d like to see if I can help with that.

I’m going to start with this single thread and see if there’s any interest in covering some basic business ideas, how-to’s and hopefully help some of you formulate a plan to start your own thing, if you’re so inclined.

This initial thread will serve as a test to see if there’s any general interest on this board. If so, I may decide to follow up with more detailed ideas.

Please note I will absolutely not share (or attempt to share) and affiliate links for any software suggestions. In my next post, I will provide a few wallet addresses if you would feel so inclined to tip (although it’s certainly not expected).

Before we get started, I’d like to state that all of my experience has been with service based companies, so I won’t share any tips or suggestions in selling a product as it’s simply not my area of expertise.

As I stated in my first post, I’ll be providing a few wallets below for tips / donations, although please note that it’s certainly not expected. That being said, If you like what I have to share and want to donate, it may push me a bit closer to making future threads...

BTC: 15it2imqyfuzYogRDYq8VNbXGypxWLj6pc
BCH: 14rupjFgs66zAARQsTwg4vkdXWY3SwgpT6
LTC: LMTfGqmj4Nm9ZfExLZG9hk1DKTdmHWuf5T
ETH: 0x03c1cda9e9544540f654f86d5a7803c17407bd51

If you have a question, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Let’s get started.

We’re currently in an age where technology has never been more helpful and accessible. Literally anyone can register a domain, create a legitimate business email, create a presentable and fully functioning (desktop and mobile friendly) website, leverage a virtual phone system, and advertise a product or service for less than a couple hundred bucks a month.

My suggestion for any new business is to immediately identify what you can afford monthly. This will be the difference between starting with business cards as your primary (and possibly only) form of advertising and being able to take advantage of lead generation websites from the get-go.

To start, let’s talk must-haves and realistic costs.

>Domain: ~$15 annually through GoDaddy or similar.
>Website: Free - ~$10 monthly through Wix or similar.
>Email: ~$5 monthly through Google or similar.
>Business Telephone: ~$24 monthly through Grasshopper (no other recommendations).

To set up a nice website that functions well between desktop and mobile, a legitimate business email (never get a free gmail address for your business - nothing is more unprofessional than [email protected]) and a legitimate business telephone number that routes to your personal cell phone, you’re looking at about $39 per month and $15 annually. This is manageable for most anyone. And if it’s not, you can use the free version of Wix (or similar), skip the Grasshopper recommendation and just use your cell phone number as your business number (not recommended to do long term), resulting in a whopping $5 per month and $15 annually.

Congratulations. You now have ways future customers can contact you and learn a little bit about your business. Now how are you going to reel ‘em in? The options are endless, let’s talk basics that are cheap and/or free:

Business Cards: $8.50 for 500 through Gotprint.net (I personally prefer Moo or Vistaprint, but these are cheap and decent enough).

4”x6” Postcards: $25 for 500 through Gotprint.net (I’ve used these to stick under windshields, stick in door cracks, etc. Make certain that you consider your city’s and individual HOA rules with regards to handouts and such though to avoid any trouble).

Web Presence: Free. Make business profiles on Google+, Facebook, etc.. (AVOID YELP- NEVER GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MAKE A YELP ACCOUNT, I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH).

**This is all I’ve pre-typed for the evening.** As a parting thought, I’m going to provide you an (almost) guaranteed way of drumming up leads at no cost.

>Introductory Phone Calls.

Nobody likes making a cold call and even less people like receiving cold calls. Find a business complimentary to yours that may refer people to your business, and whom you may refer business to.

Your initial call will almost always be greeted by a “gatekeeper” - Someone who answers the phones, has no power, but who’s job it is to keep the higher ups from having to spend all their time answering calls from people who want to sell them things.

When greeted by the gatekeeper, introduce yourself as x with x&x company. Let them know you’re new to the area and you’re hoping to leave your information with someone within the company should they find themselves needing to use or refer a service similar to yours. Usually one of a few things will happen. The gatekeeper will either:

>Take your information and throw it away or pass it on to someone.
>Transfer you to someone that may actually care about what you have to offer.
>Ask you to send additional information via email so they may forward to whoever.

I always try and structure these calls to result in #3. Here you can write a nice message outlining what your service is and what you offer. In my experience, approximately 30% of these emails will generate a response and 5-10% of these emails will result in a request for an immediate estimate for an on-going project that your services could be used in.

I'll be interested to see if this conversation goes anywhere

As will I.

where can I get an ideas guy?

>let’s talk must-haves and realistic costs.
I get that these are reoccurring costs. But if you're going to mention things that are $288 annually, you might as well mention incorporation costs.

Also, state business licenses and state filings are also reoccurring costs, and can be expense if your state sucks.

OP establishing mobile ID..

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

There's plenty more things that can (and should) be considered depending on what industry you're looking into - it all varies. But the core components to getting someone to call your business in the first place is what I've included for now.

Forming an LLC would be ideal for a one man show, and considerably less expensive than alternative options.

Im launching a webstore that I WANT to pay taxes on, whats the process like for this if I do it through shopify (dropshipping). Is an LLC best for me?

> I WANT to pay taxes on
LLCs are pass-through entities. You're only going to pay taxes when you pay yourself.

Also LLCs are good for just about anything. If you're even the slightest bit worried about someone suing you, they're basically a requirement.

totally get where you are coming from, i work in sales and spend most of my time cold calling either visiting shops or calling people up to sell my product (i work in consumables)
90% of the time i am dealing with some shit kicker who may or may not pass on my information when i give it to them.
I have tried different sales techniques and a particular one I use is called the 'elevator pitch' which means explaining everything you can about the product and how it will benefit them in under 30 seconds. In this scenario i either get them or i dont, i am told to be as brisk as possible because it is a numbers game and I cant afford to slowly coax people to make a decision.

tldr; sales is tough

If you do not have an idea to start a business do not start a fucking business, having an idea comes before wanting to start a business not the other way around. To be truly passionate about something that's how it needs to happen. Just like the faggots who one day decided oh I want to be a computer programmer, and go to college for it. Naw you'll get your fuckin ass handed to you to all the people who have wanted to do that all their life and have genuine passion for it. Furthermore do not be another one of the fuckin faggots that bloat the internet with more garbage blogs loaded with affiliate links and the like.

>What kind of ideas are you looking for?
no idea, that's why I need one

Basically what said. If for some reason you get it in your head they you HAVE to incorporate, consider incorporating out of other states. Nevada (and Delaware, I believe?) is a popular choice.

The elevator pitch is tough. I was never able to master that beyond a 1-2% success rate at best.

There are lead generation websites that you can "purchase" lead information from in one way or another. The cheapest of these companies (in my opinion) is Thumbtack. Take a look at what categories thumbtack "offers" to people and see if any of those categories interest you. If so, do some learning, some practicing, free work for friends and family, take pictures, roll the dice and buy a few leads.

free bump for an actual Business thread

Aren't those really only useful to public companies? I hear that they're used, specifically Delaware, because of the laws that have been established over time around a ton of different kinds of business transactions. So you can basically know that the courts will not only know what the heck they're looking at, but they'll have a history to draw back on. So it can be a huge advantage to take your case to a court that you don't have to try and educate.
I don't know enough about other details like taxes.

don't forget that you'll have to register as a forgiven entity in the state in which you do business - if you're a primary registrant in a state you're not in.

My goodness I haven't in my wildest dreams expected an actual business thread where people can learn something.

>Please do go on

Sounds good, thanks