All of human history took place over the course of ~250 generations

>all of human history took place over the course of ~250 generations

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgutei
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So... Our great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfathers started it all? Interesting.

I mean....it literally just hit me that it's already August this year. Swear to god time goes faster every year.

It's such a weird feeling when the timeline of history finally hits you and you understand just how immensely long and amazingly short it all is.

feels like we're finally coming to a conclusion, doesn't it?
exciting times

Yep definitely. Definitely for realsies this time. No way we could make the same mistake again..

I feel like that's not 250 greats but I'm too lazy to count.

Get used to it. You'll be 85 in a blink or two.

>Yep definitely. Definitely for realsies this time. No way we could make the same mistake again..
I don't know what you mean? you think there 's a way we can prolong the nonsense and continue for a few more generations before we go extinct?

People have been saying that for years

Imagine a timeline a hundred yards long. A football field. The beginning point of the timeline marks the origin of life on earth. The end point marks the present day. Starting from the beginning, the timeline goes on for a little over 86 yards before you get to the next dot: vertebrates. You're about the length of a city bus to the end zone before truly complex animals finally show up. We're not even to dinosaurs yet.

The first kinda mammalish looking rat things appear in the late Triassic. You are 16 feet from the end zone. Some high school freshmen in track can jump that far.

Apes show up. 2 feet left.

Anatomically modern humans. 3/16th of an inch.

The dog is domesticated. If you have an architectural quality ruler, you can measure off the last 1/32nd of an inch.

The last 1/100th of an inch of our football field, the length of a dust mite, includes all the time from the first farmers in Mesopotamia to the present day.

Remember, the days are long but the years are short

So... our great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandfather, Adam, started it all.

It's always fun to look up cosmic calendar by Sagan

every single history teacher gives that shtick

250 generations * 20(average time humans reproduce) = 5000, that's 3000 BCE.

100 generations * 20 = 2000 years ago or year 0.

reddit: the post

I wonder who has the smallest amount of generations of generations from 2000 years ago to today.

I know theres that guy whose grandfather was born in the 1700s so he decided to continue it by having a kid at 70.

You're thinking of these guys, actually living grandsons of the 10th US president.

A proper calendar would replace this bc ad shit with before and after the recording of dates starting around the founding of the Akkadian Empire in 2334 or 2270 BC putting us in the 4th millennium.

>if all of earth's history is compressed to 24 hours, humans have only been fucking things up for the last 3 minutes

It is quite amazing, especially how quickly people can propagate.

Example:
>Mary was born in 1777 in London. She spent her days sweeping the streets as a way of begging for money for her poor family. In 1788, at the age of 11, Mary with another young girl stole clothes. This included one cotton frock (fancy hat), one linen tippet (a scarf) and one linen cap. The girls then sold both the frock and cap.

>In the same year, another child reported Mary to an Officer of the Law who then found the tippet in her room. Mary was arrested and placed in prison where she was found guilty and sentenced to death. Luckily for Mary, her sentence had been changed to transportation to Australia for an 11-month voyage across the ocean, arriving June 1790 on the Second Fleet. Soon after, Mary was sent to Norfolk Island where she later had two children.

>Once returning to Sydney, Mary married Jonathon Brooker in 1809. They lived near Hawkesbury River and it was here that Mary raised her family of 21 children. Mary received her Certificate of Freedom September 1st 1812.

>At the time of her death, Mary had over 300 descendants. Today, she is considered one of the founding mothers of the early settlers to Australia. Her descendants number in the tens of thousands, including Kevin Rudd, the former Prime Minister of Australia.

I'm guessing those are the Gardiners as in Gardiner's island? They're the closest thing there is to titled nobility in the US

How does one have fucking 21 children? You have to have wide birthing hips, god tier immune system, and a propensity for fucking.

Not claiming to be one of those people, but my paternal grandfather was born in 1891. He served in the First World War.

I'm 55 years old, and met two men who served in the South African War when I was 14 or 15.

The spacing? Been typing posts like that for years. Didn't hear about "reddit spacing" until recently.

Do they? Well, good! I wish mine had. I didn't copy it from any where. I came up with the scale and went to work with a calculator from scratch. It's so intuitive though (how many things are related to the length of a football field?), I'm sure it's been done before plenty of times.

>Stole a frock and cap at 11
>Sentenced to death
Hence the saying, "In for a penny, in for a pound." If you're going to steal something in 18th century England, you might as well kill all witnesses, because it won't be any worse for you.

Average life expectancy for most people throughout the ages were around 60 if you ignore the premature child deaths and survive your teen years.

So 2000/60 would give roughly 33 generations for the smallest average estimate.

Nothing before human society existing matters, just like nothing in the universe outside of our Solar system matters (unless we find a way to cross the galaxy, but that is unlikely at least anytime soon).

Things before organized society and things beyond our own local system are merely trivia compared to our world.

Delete this

>I'm 55 years old
What brings you to Veeky Forums? What's your opinion on memes and Gen Z?

indsutrial england: not even once

But you're just in time for the coming race war.

It doesn't it just feels subjectively like it does for you because the older you get the less time as a percentage of your life a month or a year is. A year is a long time for a 5 year old, short for a 69 year old.

Time is a measure of change, and the older you get, the less that changes.

It changes a lot for you when you're old and all your friends are dying plus your wife

Maybe these last 5 or so generations.

Before penicillin, 40 was considered old age.

No.

This isn't true. Just look at the famous greeks-- Sophocles lived to be ~90, Plato 80.

My very great grand father had 34 children and lived in Georgia, he had 4 wives throughout his life and a huge house which still stands today.

According to the picture, she was extremely fuckable.
would populate a whole continent /10

Genghis Khan's elder brother lived to be old as fuck.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgutei
>According to legend, Belgutei lived to an unusually old age.Rashid ad-Dinclaims he died at the age of 110, while theYuanshireports that he was still alive whenMongke Khantook the throne in 1251, making him around 100, which would make him one of the oldest men on the earth, a fact made even more difficult due to the average life span of people during the time.

So instead of refuting him or adding to it, you criticize and offer nothing yourselves? Think about your life.

Fun fact: there are people whose grandfathers fought in the civil war

>sentenced to death
>later changed to living in Australia

Ahahaha

For the majority of people, life was quite a lot different from the life of the elites. A philosopher or a ruler did not have to spend his whole life in the field while living in much worse living conditions.