What war(s) do you find the most interesting and why Veeky Forums?

what war(s) do you find the most interesting and why Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_DMZ_Conflict_(1966–1969)
amazon.com/Uniforms-Republic-Texas-That-Wore/dp/0764306820
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sumatran_expedition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sumatran_expedition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Coast_Expedition
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_expedition_to_Korea
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Modern wars because you can see footage and shit, not just shitty paintings and Hollywood recreations that completely butcher how insane and strange war really is.

Best wars are Iran-Iraq War and Chechen Wars in this regard. Just brutal fucking shit without any whiny Westerners to ruin with their shit-tier perspectives.

Hundred Years War.
Helped do away with all that pussy shit

I am not a teenager so I don't find wars interesting

you're real special aren't you?

small wars you probably never heard of
Chaco War for example
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War

The wars the ottoman empire fought.

I read Tintin when I was a kid, boy.

good for you

they forgot to remove their hands

Yeah, I read the old version of Tintin in the Congo.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War

Neat.

The Cold War.

2nd Balkan war because it really shows the stupidity if the Balkanites, and very funny too

>tfw to smart

congo civil war(s)

cod wars

top memes

was the cod wars the one where canada almost went to war with the european union?

top kek

the crimean war, because it was a total shit show and nobody learned a thing from it well they did they just kind of forgot what they learned a few years later

> nobody learned a thing
I disagree, there were hard earned lessons in combat medicine and logistics.
First modern operation with anesthesics, Florence Nightingale, etc.

Besides the world wars, all the portuguese conflits

there's a new version?
i thought they just stopped printing it

Shakushain's War for two main reasons,
firstly reading up on it it's so well described with all the major player's actions and motives it honestly reads like a film script,
and secondly, Japanese samurai fighting bow wielding natives is fucking badass.

Irish War of Independence for a multitude of reasons, partly the absurd level of villainy of the Brits (let's burn down houses and gun down children unrelated to recent guerilla attacks as retribution killings, that will show them!) as well as the guerilla warfare aspect and the general concept of fighting for freedom and the conflicting politics near the end especially. It's truly tragic but justified at the same time.

First Indo-China War, in particular the weaponry used by the Vietnamese and how you had a large portion of Imperial Japanese Army veterans dessert and never return home in order to aid the Vietnamese peoples who they found to be righteous is cause.

American-Philippine War since it's probably the least heard of major conflict in my country's history and quite seriously Vietnam over 70 years before Vietnam.
We also weren't saints in it too so the grey morality of it all makes it very unique when it comes to the typical American portrayal of American wars.

First Sino-Japanese war, Japan being able to industrialize itself from the era of sword in such a short time and take down China is very interesting and impressive to read on.

Boshin War too while we're on Japan's industrialization.

Then of course the obvious ones like WWI and WWII, the American Civil War, and the Korean War.

World War 2 and the Napoleonic Wars

WW2 has shitloads of info so I can never really run out of it

NW for the cool fashion and nice (if you can say that) battles to read. Though the old material is biased compared to newer stuff.

Cuban involvement in Angola.

Because wtf is Cuba doing there projecting force? They are supposed to be blockaded lol

Just found out about this one, basically Vietnam era Korean war en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_DMZ_Conflict_(1966–1969)

I'm just waiting for the cyber war.

>General Bonesteel
now that's a name

30 Years War because the variety of troop types. Last war too see large numbers of fully armored cavalry in the West. Early war troops look more like the last Renaissance, late war look more like the English Civil War. The politics are interesting and there's no shortage of battles as well as room for hypothetical battles. Many of belligerents.

the war of the seven goblets 789-801

WW1 by far

Komenda Wars, just because of how exotic it sounds

>set in the gold coast where europeans have trade forts
>wars between trade companies
>intertwining of european and african politics

Lately I have found the war of the pacific really interesting, i love to see how the consequences are present even today.
But the most interesting war for me is probably the punic wars

fun fact: the english civil war killed as many as the american civil war which makes it incredibly bloody for the 1600s

WW1 and the Korean war.

Punic wars
Wars of the Dadiochi
Dungan Revolt

Fun fact the Dungan Revolt and the Taping Rebellion killed tens of millions of people each and happened during the American Civil war.

I remember reading about american observers taking the lessons they learned from the crimean war and applying it to the civil war which happened shortly after

World War conflicts.

The all out bro down between the world powers to see who had the biggest dick. Can't even hate on it that much because it was unlike any other war and in that the war to end all wars.

You will never in this life time see millions of people mobilizing around the world to all fight eachother.

You will never know what it was like to be told war was all about honor and nationalism only to later realize it was the biggest inevitable mistake Human mind has ever made.

A war that was hundreds of thousands of years in the making.

You just can't simply best that.

Punic Wars
King Louis XIV wars and the Napoleonic wars
WW1 & WW2

So what books about Chaco War would you recommend?

When there is a battle of ideas and my specific interest is unconventional warfare
I find wars interesting, but also horrible and disgusting

that was the Turbot War

the Cod Wars were Iceland memeing on British fishermen

7 years war

le battles

>you probably never heard

Yeah because nobody cares about SA

Not many stuff in english. I have pic related and The Green Hell.
There´s a lot in spanish, including books by veterans.

the Russian Civil War
>multiple competing factions, up to 4 different armies fighting on some fronts
>the epilogue of WW1 that set the stage for the next 70 years of history
>interesting and down right bizarre characters on all sides
>losing side scattered to other countries to try and keep fighting instead of disappearing from history like most losers

Thank you, I will check it out.

alexander the greats battles.
he conquered everything

>he says while posting a picture from the Wars of the Roses

Got any books recommendations?

what's going on in this picture

Was Herge, dare I say it, "our guy"?

What kinda fun stuff do you see in the Chechen Wars?

Can you provide sources?

better than that, RAILWAY WARFARE nigga

I'm shocked no one has posted the Finno-Korean Hyper war yet

World War II, more specifically the Eastern front.
Napoleonic Wars.
French Wars of Religion

no, I'm a plebian whose history knowledge all comes from Wikipedia

Not really wars but I find pre-1900 US Navy/Marine punitive expeditions really fascinating, crazy how we used to just send a boatload of pissed, sea sick Marines to wipe out entire tribes for fucking with our traders, ambassadors and missionaries

>amazon.com/Uniforms-Republic-Texas-That-Wore/dp/0764306820

That image... Texan marines?

The Northern Crusades. They are always completely overlooked.

Also the Iran Iraq War

Cuba was big on trying to export the revolution. Cuba's involvement actually somewhat led to the independence of Namibia and the freedom of Mandela.

hmu with some links about it, senpai

Probably the Cold War.

it's funny how popular the Teutonic Knights are as stock Medieval soldiers despite this though

How the steel was tempered :^)

1932 Brazilian Civil War.
My ancestors were a part of it, the /k/ aspect is awesome and the ideals behind it were noble.

WW1 Western Front, because it is to modern warfare what printing was to Renaissance information.
It changed everything. Borders, politics and regimes, our perception of military hierarchy, technological advancements, propaganda means, field warfare, weaponry, you name it.

Highly recommend to anyone interested in the first real "feel out" of countries and empires of the possibility of the future of warfare in the 1900s-, check out the Boxer Rebellion.

It has all that is interesting of the old vs the new centuries and a hell of an interesting timeline.

>All major powers and empires get involved

>Qing dynasty in disarray/decline and being exposed to the entire world and Chinese learning their lack of control in the realm of global politics

>modern weaponry vs zealot peasants with hand to hand combat and close range weapons

>setting of pre-communist China and all it's glory

>espionage from all nations on each other and their expeditionary forces, German and American soldiers analyzing each others rifles and materials

>sets the tone for eastern asian politics for the next 40 years

East Africa in WW1. von Lettow-Vorbeck is a baws

Rhodesian Bush War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Sumatran_expedition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sumatran_expedition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_Coast_Expedition

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_expedition_to_Korea

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

>Initially deployed with the Asiatic Fleet, Daly soon found himself shipped to China in May of 1900 as part of a small contingent of marines charged with protecting the besieged Peking legations during the Boxer Rebellion. By mid-August, the legation's defenders had been driven back to desperate last-stand defensive positions centering around the old city wall. Along with a certain Captain N.H. Hall, Daly undertook to defend a solid position on top of the wall between the Ch'ien Men and Hata Men gates, armed only with a rifle and a bayonet. On August 14, Hall left the position to get reinforcements, leaving Daly alone on the wall. That night, Daly was subject to constant sniper fire, and single-handedly held off several charges by the enemy until Hall returned with reinforcements the next morning. For this action, Daly was awarded his first Medal of Honor.

The low-intensity parts of Balkan-Ottoman wars, particulary around Krajina in Croatia and Bosnia. It's like the Wild West but with Turks, sailing, Venetians and sabres.