Famous Western warriors like those of the East?

It's somewhat common knowledge of famous Eastern warriors like Ma Chao and Yukimura Sanada, but how come I never hear of famous Western warriors, if there were any?

The only famous warriors I know are those of legend, like Beowulf or Lancelot. Sure, there's Leonidas and Aegis, but what about those away from antiquity? What famous knights were there?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digenes_Akritas
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiore_dei_Liberi
medievalchronicles.com/medieval-europe/medieval-germany/famous-german-knights/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

William Marshal

Guilliaume le Marechal

KDA 3000/1/hundred thousands

>inb4 historians said this and that without any prove wich means it`s not that high

El Cid

William Wallace

The Black Prince

William Wallace?

Vald the impaler might be another, though I don't know if he actually fought

Bertrand du Guesclin

Not sure if he "fought" but, Richard the 3rd

>I never hear of famous Western warriors
Because they were irrelevant outside of their countries.

>What famous knights were there?
Zawisza Czarny for example

so were the eastern warriors, but i'd figure western warriors would eventually become as popular in media for the same reasons

Not sure if it's too far north but, Harald Hardrada

I think we found the Weeaboo

Cú Chulainn you massive faggot

He said non-mythical, dumbass

Pierre Terrail

Spartacus? You couldn't even think of that?

>le if i point out my husbandos legacy is fake and gay first that must mean it's not true

dumb slavposter

Pierre Terrail de Bayard

Roland

Jean Le Maingre/Boucicaut

Pero Niño

He was more of a gladiator/show-fighter than an outright warrior.
Get your pathetic arse back to pol where it belongs, we do not assume peoples' nationality by the quality of their posts.

Pier Gerlofs Donia

east europe more like west turkey

The guy was litterally English you fuckwit

He fought at Barnet, and Tewkesbury before being killed at Bosworth.

>Show fighter
>Gladiators
No they really did kill each other

georg von ehingen is another somewhat famous one.

Sorry, I meant Richard the 1st, but yeah, Richard the 3rd too.

Yes, but it was a very play to the crowd type of killing each other, they were trained to make a show of most every fight they were in, rather than end it as quickly and efficiently as possible.

>but what about those away from antiquity?

Hercules

>It was a play to the crowd
Not in the way you're thinking , it was more about how many guys/large animals could 1 man kill

See

>What is google

I know Americans are divided but it`s preety funny to see some call everyone a dirty slav even though the only ones they know are Ivans from Russia who spit on them once and others be the whiteknights for every single thing no matter how much nobody cares about it on a Taiwanese online book store.

Non-mythical.
Read question, por favor.

Fine, I see your point.

Khalid ibn al-walid

Western, i.e. european

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digenes_Akritas

A bit more recent than the middle-ages but well.

Were Japanese swordsman popular in China?

This guy is a great example when it comes a warrior in the sense of somebody who actually fought, not (just) commanded.

You could also make an argument for some of the fencing masters, such as Johannes Liechtenauer and Fiore dei Liberi, although they are more duelists than soldiers.

Also he wouldn't have been referred to as Guillaume in French, as the Norman version of William is Williame.

Götz von Berlichingen

Mercenary who lost an arm in battle and had an iron one made in its place, all around badass dude

You forgot the most important part: He may have coined the phrase "kiss my ass", at least the German version.

Götz von Berlichingen

ah shit too late

Chinese swordsmen are popular in Japan, the Dynasty Warriors games are made in Japan

wasn't there a Centurion that also had a metal hand?

I wouldn't know about that, I know this guy's arm was fully articulated though

That and I think he's the inspiration for the character Guts from Berserk, the dude with a cast iron cannon-arm

They were frequently hired as mercenaries in the south. They were prized for their ferocity and contempt for death.

He was fairly Anglicised. One of the first of the Norman nobility to consider themselves a native Englishman.

No literary tradition exist in the west. Not during the medieval times because parchment paper was expensive.

Only in the east do we get cheap paper and printing technology revolutionizing intellectual discourses.

I don't even...

Godfrey de Boullion.

Gilgamesh

I'm Spartacus AMA

>King Arthur
>Song of Roland
>The Divine Comedy
>The Canterbury Tales
>The Decameron

Voreno and Pullo were real and they are mentioned by J Cesar in his Chronicles as great warriors

i've heard they were characters he made up

Constantine
In the middle of the party cleaving fockin' heavens to get off him

Diego García de Paredes is the best Duelist in History.
> Climb Fortress at night to open door from inside
> Get discovered
> Fight for 3 days against all the garrison at the top of the wall
> Both Armies cheering and insulting you from the ground
> Drop 3 Days and nights later due to sleep depravation
> In fury your army storms the castle
> They win
> Escape anyway by your own

>In the middle of the party cleaving fockin' heavens to get off him
what?

Commander that was a little too eager to dive in the middle of the battle line and murder everything he saw that defied Rome and Yahweh. His bodyguards would lose him at the start of a battle as he personally led the charge and would find him on the otherside of the field at the end of the day soaked head to toe in blood of his enemies.

I dont doubt that JC exagerated his deeds but considereing that his writtings were read on the senate out loud people will notice if he invented roman citizens.

Fiore de Liberi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiore_dei_Liberi

Richard Coeur de Lion

Bohemond of Taranto, his real name is Mark. They called him Bohemond after a mythical giant who whooped a relatively similar amount of ass.

A lot of the Normans that came to Sicily were huge badasses that wanted everyone to know.

Who the fuck are Mao Chao and the other fucker

He absolutly wasnt
He was a French noble born in England who couldnt speak any other language than French

Giovanni of the Black Bands

>From an early age, he demonstrated great interest and ability in physical activity, especially the martial arts of the age: horse riding, sword-fighting, etc. He committed his first murder at the age of 12, and was twice banished from the city of Florence for his unruly behavior, including involvement in the rape of a sixteen-year-old boy, Giovanni being about thirteen at the time.

nice guy

>who couldnt speak any other language than French

Well, according to the wiki he could speak both French and Latin
Not English though (not like he had a use for it anyway, I doubt he often talked with peasants)

>normans

He was french. Or italian, if you take birthplace into account. Then again, italy didn't even exist so he definitely was french.

What a faggot lol

Well, he spoke French and established a French speaking principality in the Levant, so he sure wasnt Italian or English...

Willy was probably the greatest knight that ever lived. Let me give you guys a rundown of how crazy he was:
>His first battles were often slogs were Willy could capture or kill more experienced opponents. Yet he often sent his opponents away, despite the promise of ransom.
>In a small skirmirsh, William's uncle was killed by Guy de Luisignan and he himself was injured and captured.
>Due to his reputation as an admirable chap and being a nice guy around, someone smuggled a breadloaf with fresh linen bandages and dressing in his cell.
>Finally, Eleanor of Aquitaine ransomed the yet young William because many of his former foes praised his prowess and honour.
>William would go on to win atleast 200 tournaments and very big competitions very well into his later life.
>He served atleast 5 kings and when he was on his deathbed, the templars inducted him into their order and he was buried in the temple church in London.

Other than that, Götz von Berlichingen is a cool guy. He told the Emperor go fuck himself.

>Original german:"Er(der Kaiser) kann mich im Arsche lecken!"("Tell the emperor to lick my butt!")

The whole quote has it's own name in german 'Götz Zitat' (Götz Quote), which is an euphemism for cursing.

>His father came from Normady
>Not Norman
What did user mean by this?

Who /tancred/ here?

>800% madman
>BTFO muslims
>call the byzantine basilieus a cuck to hisnface
>conquer jerusalem
>take a small force and smash the muslim forts
>tactically accomplished and able to go all out, just this once to kill personally

That said was probably even more legendary, but it runs in the family

not really a knight but what about the Viking at Stamford bridge?

Not bad, however

>Pierre Terrail, seigneur de Bayard (1473 – 30 April 1524) was a French soldier, generally known as the Chevalier de Bayard.

>Throughout the centuries since his death, he has been known as "the knight without fear and beyond reproach"

>At the Battle of Garigliano he single-handedly defended the bridge of the Garigliano against 200 Spaniards, an exploit that brought him such renown that Pope Julius II tried unsuccessfully to entice him into his service.[1]

>In 1508, Bayard accompanied King Louis XII against rebellious Genoa.
>In the battle that broke the back of the rebellion, Bayard played the role of champion and spearhead in the French assault; a breakneck cavalry charge up a mountain slope against a seemingly impregnable barricade, defended by a pike-phalanx of Genoese militia. The Genoese broke and fled before the furious charge of Bayard and the French gendarmes.
The Genoese broke and fled before the furious charge of Bayard and the French gendarmes.
>Genoa subsequently fell, and Bayard entered the city in triumph behind his king.[1]

>In 1510 the Duchy of Ferrara joined the alliance. Bayard was co-commander of the French contingent sent to garrison and aid the city and its Duke, Alphonso d'Este. During his eight-month stay, Bayard won the admiration of the duke and his wife, the lady Lucrezia Borgia.
>According to his biographer, "The Loyal Servant," (likely Bayard's archer and lifelong secretary, Jacques de Mailles) the chevalier fully returned Lucrezia's admiration; considering her "a pearl" among women. Bayard would return to Ferrara on other occasions to pay his hommage to the lady

>At the Siege of Brescia in 1512, Bayard led a wedge of dismounted men-at-arms against the defenders, himself at its tip. Several times the French assault was thrown back. Each time Bayard rallied the French forces and led them in renewed attacks. His boldness at last resulted in a severe wound to the thigh, but not before the defenses were breached and the French had entered the town.

>His soldiers carried Bayard into a neighbouring mansion, the residence of a nobleman, whose wife and daughters he protected from threatened insult. Bayard was charmed by the young daughters, who sang to him nightly. Before his wound was healed, he learned that battle was imminent at Ravenna, and he hurried to depart to rejoin his comrades. But not before endowing the two daughters with a thousand gold ducats each

>When war again broke out between Francis I and Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, Bayard, with 1000 men, held Mézières, which had been declared untenable, against an army of 35,000, and after six weeks, compelled the imperial generals to lift the siege. This stubborn resistance saved central France from invasion, as the king had not then sufficient forces to withstand the Holy Roman Empire.[1]

>Bayard was sent into Italy with Admiral Bonnivet, who, being defeated at Robecco and wounded in a combat during his retreat, implored Bayard to assume command and save the army.
>He repulsed the foremost pursuers, but in guarding the rear at the passage of the river Sesia between the towns of Romagnano Sesia and Gattinara, was mortally wounded by an arquebus ball, on 30 April 1524. [2]

Literally took a fucking firearm to kill this absolute madman

>Killed with a spear thrust in the balls after wrecking everything.

I cannot even fathom worse ways to reach Valhalla.

Spartacus lived in the 12th century

You forgot that he could remember besting five HUNDRED knights on his deathbed and was leading cavalry charges-and winning- into his 70s.

Alexander the Great.

None of this happened, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Charles Martel

>western

>how come I never hear of famous Western warriors

dunno, because you're an ignoramus?

Manfred von Richthofen
Erich Hartmann

Hartmann is legit fucking insane. the fact that they had to send fact checkers into the air with him in order to make sure he wasnt fudging his kill counts was ridiculous

medievalchronicles.com/medieval-europe/medieval-germany/famous-german-knights/
have fun.

the animator?

Lol from what dump do you come.
>What are chivalry novels.

>not knowing who Arthur Harris is
Kraut detected

Premier Bush.