What even is American conservatism?

>Low taxes
>Decentralized and smaller government
>Stress on constitution and the values therein

Okay so classical liberalism, I get it that makes sense but....

>Stress on traditional Christian values and morality
>To the point where at least parts of it are part of government (some even want a Christian theocracy)

That doesn't seem classically liberal to me, not to mention

>Dislike to international institutions and law
>Still wants to be intervene across the globe and always works for "the west's" interest

Seems like a bizarre mix of liberal internationalism and isolationism

You got a core of classical liberalism with a lot of Christianity mixed in with hawkishness sprinkled on top. Seems more like a frankenstein ideology than a consistent worldview like libertarianism, marxism, etc.

Not a critique of their ideology as a whole or any of the beliefs that make it up, I'm just curious if I am missing something. Want to understand the geneology of their ideology more

Other urls found in this thread:

ibtimes.com/john-mccain-more-popular-democrats-republicans-poll-says-2574143
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wow, it's like Conservatism is not a legit ideology. Shocking!

this is all because of the Reagan Revolution. After Barry Goldwater got BTFO, and the republicans seemed like they were on the ropes, Reagan was able to consolidate ALL conservative types behind him. From fat cat businessmen, to hardcore Libertarians, to cold warriors, to evangelical christians, and even to dixiecrats who didnt like niggers in their neigborhoods. People give credit to Obama for running a good campaign, but hes shit compared to what Reagan was able to do. I mean just look at this shit. He had an even more brutal victory in the 84 election

the result of this though is that American conservatism is this sort of Crimea that you cant really put into one peg like you said, and I think all conservative types realize this, so they are hesitant to break apart and lose their power. But I do see stuff like Libertarians, and bible thumpers, and neocons and paleocons all hating each other

Fuck off
I don't speak for all conservatives (I'm a paleolibertarian) but I believe that government should play as small a role as possible in the everyday lives of people. I believe that social conservatism is the best way to run a society, but a socially conservative one that is forced by the government (Naziism) is one of the worst.

I'd say most conservatives want government out of the economic sense and at least a little government in the social sense, more so than liberals.

>Fuck off

What's the hate for? Did someone hurt your feefees?

Yup, lots of Trump voters hated neocons almost as much as democrats for example

this is why everyone hates you leftypol.

>>>/leftypol/
In fact, you fuck off too OP, this is not Veeky Forums related

OP, you're retarded. If you bothered to learn even the most basic political theory, you'd know that first past the post electoral systems encourage huge centrist parties.

That means that no, they don't have consistent political ideologies. (Try your same analysis to American liberalism/the line of the democratic party, you'll end up with just as much of a mess). You have two conglomerate parties that in a more proprtional representational system would have split off into several different sub-parties a long time ago but stick together because it's easier to work things out within their party than it is to try to each strive to win the overall elections on their own.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself, you uneducated morons.

Conservatism not being ideology is a stance held by conservatives, it's leftists who call it an ideology.

Republicans are not centrist in the slightest, right or wrong they are far to the right economically while democrats are mostly center right.

American progressives are pretty united in ideals actually. The bulk of them are secular, egalitiarain, and utilitarian. The only thing separating them is how extreme they are in going through with this. The mainstream democrat wants to relax the rigidness of the constitution a little bit to improve the welfare, the Bernie sanders type wants another new deal, and the SJW sees the classical liberal framework as just a wall to tear down altogether

>secular
black churches and islamic apologetics are not secular
>egalitiarain
unless you live in the countryside

>secular

Secular government is what I meant, obviously not all of them are nu atheist

>egalitarian

I will give you that many blue collar types just vote democrat out of a paycheck, but I'm referring to progressive ideology that forms the bulk of the party platform

>Republicans are not centrist in the slightest, right or wrong they are far to the right economically while democrats are mostly center right.
Try applying the logic of America as a polity instead of the world as a polity. Since, you know, non-Americans typically aren't part of the American electorate.

>American progressives are pretty united in ideals actually
And since the progressive party died in 1916, they haven't been relevant in some time. The Democratic party, while having some progressive ideals, is certainly not a progressive party.

>The bulk of them are secular, egalitiarain, and utilitarian.
Hispanic and African American votes are overwhelmingly Democrat and generally the voters among those demographics are none of those things.

>The mainstream democrat wants to relax the rigidness of the constitution a little bit to improve the welfare, the Bernie sanders type wants another new deal, and the SJW sees the classical liberal framework as just a wall to tear down altogether
Do you honestly think those are the only facets of the democratic party?

Even European conservatives look liberal by American standards.

>American conservatism is this sort of Crimea
>Crimea
lol. You mean Chimera

American conservatism the ideology or American conservatism the practice?
American conservatives are a unrefined coalition that have a jumbled bunch ideologies that are just confirm their basic ideologies (individualism, free market capitalism, conservative blue collar populism, social conservatism/centrism). Things like small government and such only conform to their already pre-conceived apolitical ideals. What they actually support is quite a departure from their ideals but their ignorance keeps them from knowing this, as well as the fact that they aren't necessarily a coherent coalition. This is not unique to conservatives at all, however their coalition is unique in American politics (in that its different from the liberal coalition, which is arguably more congruent with itself on base ideologies despite being more diverse).
American conservatism in practice does not espouse any of these ideals readily. Low taxes is probably the closest thing conservatives get to their actual ideologies, and even then they often fail to make these policies lasting or meaningful. For example, Reagan's tax cuts were quite temporary and his de-regulation of the financial sector contributed (along with Clinton and Bush Jr.) to the financial crisis in 2007-2008, which has permanently set back conservative free market theory in the eyes of many Americans. Additionally conservative presidents since WW2 have almost without exception have increased government spending and debt more than their liberal counterparts, often due to immense defense spending and their lack of ability and lack of urgency to actually reduce spending of any sort.
Isolationism has only recently come into the picture mostly because of the unpopular nature of the war on terrorism and because it became fashionable to blame the Obama administration for ISIS and the situation in the middle east in general. Furthermore, conservative policy is no more reverent of the Constitution than liberals.

Further complicating things are the constant double standards in regards to federalism and anti-federalism. Weather or not they support states rights or a strong fed figuratively changes each day. I remember the time Bill O'reilly had a fit when someone was arguing to him that the military counts as part of the government and contributes to the government being big.

I wonder how having the republicans control the entire federal government and majority of governors seats is effecting the republican party? Kinda feels like the dog that finally caught the car it was chasing.

American conservatism can be as...

>muh money
GOVERNMENT GET YE GONE

>social issues
SAVE ME GOVERNMENT

Liberal economically although with an emphasis on low taxes/tax cuts but socially they are pretty much beholden to the Evangelical church and the social issues they advocate; this also means usually a very neoconservative foreign policy as to emphasize the importance of Israel which the Evangelical base loves because MUH END TIMES PROPHECY. Personally, I'm right-wing but I find the adherence to Protestant doctrine; stuff like abortion I see as losing issues so it's why I'd never be quick to label myself a conservative, at least not an American style conservative. Not until its snatched from the jaws of the Evangelical beast.

Well your liberals are totally different than the liberals we have over in the Netherlands. Liberals are considered right over here.

Republicans had more power 12 years ago
Its really not that big of a deal considering they don't have a big enough majority to get much shit done

BABABA DING DABA BONG AND THATS WHY IT WORKS FELLAS

>posting that
Kys

>What even is American conservatism
The understanding that an overwhelming federalized, centralized government will negatively impact private growth and that it is up to states to determine and vote for what is best. Sure while some degree of federalization is needed in the long term it is bad for industry and it is up to the states to vote for the best for the nation as a whole.

Yes they do, it's just that now its republicans are divided against themselves with only a minority Democrat presence. It's why I'm wondering how the Republican brand is doing, it must be all fucked up right now in the eyes of the Republican voters. Did you know that in recent polls, John McCain is more popular with democrats than with republicans?

>Did you know that in recent polls, John McCain is more popular with democrats than with republicans?
Prove it.

ibtimes.com/john-mccain-more-popular-democrats-republicans-poll-says-2574143

>ibtimes.com/john-mccain-more-popular-democrats-republicans-poll-says-2574143
haha fuck you came prepared
I would say that this poll is in direct response to his vote against the repeal of the ACA and not overall Dem vs. Rep support for his voting record and support for him as a whole but I can't back that up so you got me there, but going by the Bloomberg and Economist articles against him for bringing the vote against the ACA to table I still say these polls are reactionary

Neoconservatism, maybe.

That's why its retarded.