"Isn't it true that we weren't cowards at Sedan?"

> "Isn't it true that we weren't cowards at Sedan?"
Post last words that makes you feeel.

Dying of illness, after giving away almost all he possessed:
>"Go carry this lance, unfurl this banner, and while you lift up this standard proclaim this: 'This is all that remains of Saladin the Great, the Conqueror and King of the Empire, of all his glory'"

>"Thomas Jefferson survives"
John Adams, unaware that Jefferson had passed several hours earlier.

>"Water"
The last request of the most famous alcoholic in American history.

>"You certainly can’t say that the people of Dallas haven’t given you a nice welcome, Mr. President." -First Lady of Texas, Nellie Connally
>"No, you certainly can't." -President John F. Kennedy.

>"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."

Stonewall Jackson

> Stand away, fellow, from my diagram

> Have I played the part well? Then applaud me as I exit
based

>"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
Union General John Sedgwick moments before being killed by a sniper.

> Pardon me. I didn't do it on purpose.

> I will hear in heaven
this one sort of made me cry

> France, the army, the head of the army, Joséphine.

His most famous words, but not his last. People often erroneously quote it as "at this dis-" for comedic effect. General Sedgwick was known among his men as a good and compassionate commander. It's sad that he's remembered today as a punch line. John Sedgwick's real last words, as recorded by General McMahon, were spoken to an enlisted soldier.
>"All right, my man; go to your place"
In the next moment, McMahon was toppled to the ground by his friend's falling, lifeless body, covered in his blood.

>"Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her ... Soldiers, fire!"

Marshal of the Empire Michel Ney

>"Don't be afraid."

>AHHHM GNNAAAA DAAAAAH PFFFFF

Truly magnificent

Im gonna cry
Why did Charlie Boy have to die lads?

"Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man."

I don't like him, but these were well chosen.

>Sophie, Sophie, don't die, you must live, for the children

Nappy 3 deserves a better consensus about him, he was shit at diplomacy and warfare but was the one to undertake a lot of economics, infrastructure and industrial reforms for France that were all really important for its development.

>"The battle is at it's height. Do not announce my death."
last words of the ultra bad ass Admiral Yi Soon Shin, he made his son dress up in his armour and carry on commanding the fleet and pretend to be him in order to keep their momentum going

forgot to include his nice statue

“Consider then, my brother and comrades in arms, how the commemoration of our death, our memory, fame and freedom can be rendered eternal.”
-Constantine IX, The Last Roman Emperor.

"The Strongest"
-Alexander the Great, in response to who should rule the empire.

Soldiers Do your duty
Straight to the heart but spare the face
Fire
Joachim Murat

Tbh, he was actually much better than you think at warfare. Mexico was a blunder, but only because the American civil war ended sooner than he expected.

The thing about 1870 is that by that point he was no longer an absolute monarch, and had powers similar to a mere president. He tried to enlarge the size of the army to match prussia, but the legislature blocked it. Then he tried to introduce reforms, which the legislature again delayed until they ended up only beginning a few months before the war.

If he had retained absolute power, 1870 would have been at worst a white peace and at best a minor french victory, though I doubt in either case he could prevent germany being united in some form.

I get pissed that his reputation is ruined by the people who used his defeat to empower themselves

"I have offended God and mankind because my work did not reach the quality it should have." —Leonardo Da Vinci

Can someone find exactly what his last words were? I saw s thread and it was really sad, he was being pulled from his desk saying "I'm not finished yet" feelsbadman

"June 3. Cold Harbor. I was killed."
Final entry in the diary of a nameless Union soldier, found on his body after the battle.

"Forward men! For God's sake forward!"
-Major General John Reynolds,Gettysburg,Pennsylvania

Dearest,

I feel certain I am going mad again. I feel we can't go through another of those terrible times. And I shan't recover this time. I begin to hear voices, and I can't concentrate. So I am doing what seems the best thing to do. You have given me the greatest possible happiness. You have been in every way all that anyone could be. I don't think two people could have been happier till this terrible disease came. I can't fight any longer. I know that I am spoiling your life, that without me you could work. And you will I know. You see I can't even write this properly. I can't read. What I want to say is I owe all the happiness of my life to you. You have been entirely patient with me and incredibly good. I want to say that - everybody knows it. If anybody could have saved me it would have been you. Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer.

I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been.

>Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow

Not last words, but:
"If I know one thing about serbians, its that they're only capable of one assassination attempt per day"
-Police chief of Sarajevo, 1914

>"I'm bored with it all."

t. Winston Churchill upon the recollection of his tumultuous political life

Constantine also supposedly said "The city is fallen, yet I am still alive!" before removing his imperial vestments, wearing a soldier's armor, and leading one last charge against the Ottomans.

nice
why is there something so endearing about grant

hopeful at least

>“I have much business that must be attended to of greater moment than your ruined garrison and this wretched country.”
>-Montcalm, on the Plains of Abraham

What is it about French generals? I only wish I could find the words of Davout or some of the other great marshals, who weren't given an execution.

Yeah, that's literally the single greatest last words ever uttered.

From what I understand, he was basically an alcoholic loser and a failure at life whom the war gave a strange and unexpected second chance because he turned out to have a talent for generalship.

I despise Augustus but even I have to admit, that's pretty based. Of course, with those ancient historians there's no way of telling whether it's real or made up.

>"Don’t let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, don't know how true it is though.

Excellent.

In the spirit of French quotes:
>I see you have made three spelling mistakes.
-Thomas de Mahy, after reading his death warrant

Probably apocryphal, but I like to believe it isn't.

"Where'd all them fuckin' indians come from?"
-Custer, Little Bighorn

truly inspiring

>priest is urging him to renounce satan so he may give him his last rights
"Now is not the time for making new enemies"

Bless his soul

I think he told some servants to wake him at half past three the bext day, but died in his sleep that night.

DON'T DISTURB MY CIRCLES!

>Genoa...Battle...Forward!

> If all the swords in England were pointed against my head, your threats would not move me.I am ready to die for my Lord, that in my blood the Church may obtain liberty and peace.

Kansha!

The French are a passionate and romantic people. Sometimes it's their downfall, but goddamn at least they have style.

I think Karl Marx didn't have any last words because he died while reading in his comfy chair when his family and Engels weren't there. But I also remember reading somewhere Marx bellowing on his death bed to some nurse or something that last words are for faggots who've not said enough alive.

>"The battle is at its height...beat my war drums...do not announce my death."- Yi Sun-shin.

One of the best generals and worst presidents in US history.

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
>Crowfoot

Frederick Barbarossa: *Gargle gargle gargle*

One last drink please

I wonder if he wrote it himself as he died or if someone searched his body, found the diary and finished it for him.

Faggot ass Nelson later copied him

the usual narrative is that he wrote it because he knew he would die.

I guess he had to die then.
Or it would ruin his diary.

>He died in the midst of the enemy, attended by Pescara, the Spanish commander, and by his old comrade, Charles, duc de Bourbon, who was now fighting on the opposite side. Charles is reported to have said "Ah! Monsieur de Bayard... I am very sad to see you in this state; you who were such a virtuous knight!"

>Bayard answered: "Sir, there is no need to pity me. I die as a man of honour ought, doing my duty; but I pity you, because you are fighting against your king, your country, and your oath."

Nah, Nelson's last words were, "Kiss me, Hardy". Or, "Thank God I have done my duty," if you don't want to believe he died with a raging gay boner.

>Albert Einstein's last words were spoken in German to a nurse that only spoke English
JUST

Who?

His last words were
>hitler was right Mrs. Nurse

>I bet they're going to give you shit for not being able to pass on my last words, haha.
What a faggot.

WE

WUZ

CUTE SMUG ANIME GIRLS

N

It's too bad that they removed this already

Yeah, it was cool while it lasted.

Fuck man, beautiful.

Me and my friend always poke fun of Carlos so this was hilarious to me. Still feel bad for him though.

>"After such a trip, a shower won't hurt."
Anne Franck.

Good last words, though in reality he was a mess of a person and not respectful by any means. I'd recommend the red prince to anyone interested in the end of the Habsburgs

Reminder that gas shower were a myth and that Anne Frank died of disease/starvation induced by war deprivation, just like each of the 500,000 or so jew that died in concentration camps between 1942 and 1944

I thought when got killed by duh battery acids

"Remember your oath, how dare you disgrace the republic with such... *gets stabbed*"

GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY FACE YOU ROMAN SHIT

Virginia Woolf

>Just don't leave me alone
>John Belushi

Poor girl just stepped on the executioners toes

>They are outside, this is the end commander, thank you, tell my family and my country I love them. Tell them I was brave and I fought until I could no longer. Please take care of my family, avenge my death, good bye commander, tell my family I love them
Last message sent by Alexander Prokhorenko after being surrounded by ISIS and calling an airstrike on his position.

"It is far more just to perish one for all, than many for one"
-Roman Emperor Otho, before killing himself to prevent further civil war

ow the edge

>"Thank God I have done my duty"

>tfw you will never be a royal marine on HMS Victory killing frenchmen and spaniards for King and Country

why even live tbqh lads

>Lord Nelson gets to Anglo Heaven
>Surrounded by fire and flames, he sees the shade of Cromwell, gibbeted for all eternity, and inquires about how such a fate may befall God's chosen few
>Alas, Good Sir, it has transpired that our faith, stoked by the perfidious Mr Luther, was in service of he most low, instead of that most high

"Go on, get out. Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough."
-Karl Marx, to his house keeper before the arrival of Friedrich Engels

10/10

>t. dirty Catholic Mick

Yeah. Right after he was seen visibly terrified before he even knew what's gonna happen to him (and Americans actually wanted him alive) and before he choked on his blood.

Didn't he have a throat cancer? He wasn't able to say anything on his deathbed.

>"I am just going outside and may be some time."
-Cpt. Lawrence Oates

Probably lying somewhere gut shot, knew nobody could get him out of there, but knew he had a little time.

alexander the great was literally autistic. I honestly don't how such an autistic little manlet is now one of the most well known names in history. Its disgusting

>Well, gentlemen, you are about to see a baked Appel.
Who: George Appel, executed by electric chair in 1928.

"God, don't let me die. I have so much to do."
- Huey P. Long

Funny because he was shot but everybody else dodged that bullet.