The Illiad and Odyssey were the only 2 surviving books out of a 10 book Epic Cycle

>The Illiad and Odyssey were the only 2 surviving books out of a 10 book Epic Cycle.

I find this idea fascinating, what other tome of history or mystery are we missing?

We have lost a large amount of Classical Philosophy.

Chryssipus was considered one of the greatest philosophers of antiquity and has written a lot. We have no surviving texts of his.

A large part of the failings and uselessness of post-medieval Ethics are due to this.

The bulk of the writing was in the two books so we didnt miss too much. Also Homer as the "author" probably never existed. It seems far morelikely there were generations of oral story tellers and multiple authors trying to mash everything together.

>a monk should not laugh etc

I wonder if any of that is in the carbonized papyri from Herculaneum.

>The Archimedes Palimpsest is a parchment codex palimpsest, which originally was a 10th-century Byzantine Greek copy of an otherwise unknown work of Archimedes of Syracuse and other authors. It was overwritten with a Christian religious text by 13th-century monks.
AYYY LMAO

The Gilgamesh Epic, every couple years the find a new missing fragment.

Homer as the "author" almost definitely existed. Muh oral tradition theory has been debunked decades ago.

>tfw you will never read all the Boston
Why even live

B-but Christians preserved western civilization!!!

Western civilization is disgusting and needs to die.

Not sure if leftist or islamist

>Also Homer as the "author" probably never existed.
>this meme again

>mfw "Weak as men are now"

Somehow makes me sad to realized, even in Homer's time mankind was considered degenerated. Just think of the physique of the Achaean warriors compared to your average modern person.

Neither the Illiad (by Virgil not Homer) nor the Odyssey (by Homer) were books. They were songs/poems orally passed on for centuries before being written down.

>Homer's time

Or you know its just proof that nostalgia goggles are real and that idealising the past and crapping on the present is part of human nature.

What if you're wrong though? What if men really have degenerated for thousands of years, and in our age humanity has sunk to the lowest of low points, physically and mentally. What if the degeneration is a process that began thousands years before Homer and continues to this day.

They would most likely be mentally stronger, but physically weaker.

So?

Gives me the feels, is all.

Important parts of Tacitus' Annals are lost, documenting some parts of roman history we only have Suetonius' gossip of.

False, your'e talking out of your ass, I studied Ancient Greek literature at uni and the most commonly accepted view is that that Homer never existed as a person.

Homer's time (if he ever exited) were 750 bc, the physique and ideals weren't the same as classical Greece (500-400 bc)

"Degenerated"

Myceneans were usually like 160 cm (5'4) on average and were portrayed as of average build, not even as nearly as muscular as Classical Greeks

Well I teach ancient Greek literature at uni and i'm telling you he did.

>I studied Ancient Greek literature at uni

What's so funny

Epic, I really doubt it, you're most likely a clueless merryfat that learned about the Iliad from Troy

Thanks, religion of peace.

/her/ is literally leftypol at this point in time. I hope you are proud of yourselves and your worthless degrees.

Argonautica was probably part of it, as were the mythic cycles of Perseus and Belleraphon.The only book we know for sure was part of what you might call "the Mycenean Corpus" is the life and deeds of Odysseus' son Telemachus.

Homer may not have originated the story (since it was based on actual event, arguably it has no ultimate "author"), but the version we have is from one storyteller and we mat as well call him Homer.

Argonautica is a Hellenic poem wrote by Apollonius of Rhodes in the 3rd century bc

reminder that those events actually took part in Northern Europe

Homer was 10th century BC, the events he wrote about took place in ~1200BC and oral traditions are not reliable beyond a few centuries (cf the Lakota myth of their origins, contradicted by known historical events and taking place only 200 or so years ago).

Sure buddy, North Europeans didn't even have cities at the time so, no.

Actually Homer is Korean. His real name was Ho Meoyung.

Mycenae was a warrior dictatorship (an aristocracy), while the average shitmuncher was no bigger than his descendants, the actual warriors themselves, who feasted daily on meat and fought and trained nonstop, would have put the average football team to shame.

>Homer was 10th century BC, the events he wrote

Greeks didn't write anything in the 10th century bc, they didn't have the alphabet yet and didn't use Linear B anymore, there is no proof of him existing but most guesses say that the Iliad and Odyssey composed in the form we know today around the 9-8th century bc, the first certified time it was written times is in the 6th century bc

> the actual warriors themselves, who feasted daily on meat and fought and trained nonstop, would have put the average football team to shame.

Hmmm no, I'm talking about aristocratic burials and they were all around 160-163 cm tall, I don't know if they were built but from the paintings of warriors found in the royal palaces it doesn't seem so.

Obviously I'm talking about a lost Argonautica, not the much later version we have. The story itself has deep Mycenean roots, many of the heroes at Troy had fathers who took part in the Argonautica. Illiad has many references to Jason, this wasn't some story Apollonius made up.

>if you eat a lot of meat as an adult you will be tall
Are you retarded?

>Greeks didn't write anything in the 10th century bc

Hence "oral tradition". You're a bit slow, aren't you? Obviously i wasn't WRITTEN by Homer, who was famously blind, but from contextual cues it is possible to guess at the ind of society Homer himself must have lived in, and this is a Dark Age society, not an Archaic one.

You said wrote, are you retarded?

Yes that's obviously literally what I meant, there is no possible way to read my post other than to confirm that I literally and unironically think eating meat directly and necessarily makes you taller, I guess you're right I am retarded.

Fucking dope.

It's a figure of speech you dense fucktard.

Though Homer as a person most certainly existed, it is almost certain that he wrote down and oral tradition from mycenaean times.

No, it's not, learn how to express yourself properly, dumb amerifat.

>the actual warriors themselves, who feasted daily on meat and fought and trained nonstop, would have put the average football team to shame.
^^^^this is what you wrote. One half of your hypothesis is that eating meat daily as an adult (as a warrior) makes you taller. The other half is that training nonstop makes you taller. Honestly the part I left out is more retarded.

>I guess you're right I am retarded.
I'm glad we agree.

Wow we have a lot of actual autists in this thread

What if the other 8 books have lolis as main characters?

If you can't understand my very simple and clear posts, then I have no interest in talking to you.

Okay so you don't know how the English language works. That's fine, go be illiterate somewhere else.

They were tall on average for their times but they are rather short for ours, they were 5'7

>would have put the average football team to shame

>implying they don't

Leftypol with 5 "if africa good, why niggers dumb" threads up? Sure a small board that died out long ago in a site that isn't even searchable by google is the problem.

The post you replied tot was an obvious strawman, we want you out /Pol/.

>Okay so you don't know how the English language works
Tell me, for my amusement, how you think the English language works, then.

It's not my problem if you can't even write in your own language

the verb "to write" has a precise meaning

I want both of you danm faggots out of this board. /leftypol/ and /pol/ are killing this place.

You are a literal moron.

>the verb "to write" has a precise meaning

No, it has several meanings. This is why you are an illiterate, and why I'm not going to waste more time with you.

It doesn't. English is a cancer language.

Saying that Soviet Union did nothing wrong is just as bad as /pol/ shitposts.

It was worth waking up early on a saturday to witness your butthurt.

>sleeping

It doesn't, it's pathetic how stupid anglophones are and how you don't even know your own language

How embarassing.

The Illiad is Homer. The Aeneid was Virgil

Retard

tbf the Aeneid is Homeric fanfic so

"Homer" is probably one person, that wrote down and formalised a set of stories and legends that had been circulated for about 500 years in oral form. Parry and his studies on oral poetry in the Balkans basically prove its possible.

It could as easily be the founder of an oral tradition that was ultimately collected and written down centuries later, very much embellished. Attributing your text to an illustrious founder or predecessor is an old trope.

they were all midgets

Have you ever considered that maybe we are giants?

The average height way 5'6" but some were six feet or more. Humans are pretty variable.

>Or you know its just proof that nostalgia goggles are real and that idealising the past and crapping on the present is part of human nature.

The Illiad was written in an era called "Greek Dark Ages", after the "Bronze Age Civilization Collapse".

Most of the times when people complain about the degeneracy of their era, they are right.

The people complaining about the Hippies (Hippie apologists loved to spread this idea that people alwayd complained about degeneracy) were absolutely correct.

neither
>worthless
>paid for
Pick one, STEMSperg.
No kiddo, not everything you dislike is a strawman.

>one monk overwrites an old book
>christians destroyed civilization!!! reeeeee!!!

Except that things are continually getting better for everyone

Better is subjective.