Is learning Arabic pointless since you wont understand locals

Is learning Arabic pointless since you wont understand locals

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Standard_Arabic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bumping because wife is learning arabic writting.

She wants dat Arab dick

Took your sweet ass time didn't you? I was expecting that at least 15 minutes ago.

I live in Morocco and I can tell you that this only applies to Maghreb countries (Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco) since our spoken Arabic is mixed with vocabulary from a lot of western countries and is practically impossible to learn unless you talk frequently to the locals, that being said, standard arabic which most people learn is the main language used for literature, news media, jobs .. etc. in the middle east their spoken dialect is quite similar to the standard arabic with some changes that you would perfect within a month from watching their local movies or channels in general.
Either way Arabic in it's normal form is the most formally used by all arabic countries in their insitutions

learn Modern standart arabic, then you can learn the dialect of the country you're interested.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Standard_Arabic

im iraqi, i can pretty much 100% understand khaleejis, saudis, jordanians, syrians, palestinians, etc when they talk. I can 50/50 understand egyptians. I can't understand a thing of moroccans, its hard to believe they speak the same language.

>Is learning Arabic pointless

Yes. The Arab world produces very little in the form of written culture, nearly all of it religious. The classics of Arab literature, sparse tho they are, exist in numerous excellent translations. You would unironically be better off learning (((Hebrew))).

What happens in that grey zone between Morocco and Mauritania

Learning arabic is pointless if you're not muslim or at least don't want to study islam

Pretty much a point of conflict between 'em if I recall. Can't agree on who has territorial supremacy there.

Country invaded by Morocco that cannot fight back but some people still claim to be independant

It was a spanish colony and the berbers there don't want to be Moroccan. No country does anything meaningful to prevent Morocco from having it, tho. Dunno why it's always shown as independent in maps while others like them are ignored.

Isn't Egyptian Arabic supposed to be the most "conservative" dialect, aka the most similar to Classical Arabic?

If she's learning classic/formal Arabic than most Arabs (probably aside from North Africans) will understand her, but she won't understand them.

Quite the opposite

Oh really? Shows what I know.

They aren't berbers that live their.
Sahrawis are an arab tribe, bit their are a lot of othe berber speaking places in the maghreb mostly in the north, or spread across te maghreb.

Or never mind the whole magreb is berber.

Pro-tip: Various forms of Arabic, especially the most extreme (e.g. Moroccan vs. Iraqi or whatever) are actually different languages. The only reason they're all called dialects of Arabic is because of the huge religious prestige of the language. If it weren't for that, they would be considered separate, just like how we call Spanish, Portuguese, Galician, and Catalan different languages.

Arabic is useless per se, besides dialects.

There are no dialects in hebrew right?

Isn't MSA similar to the dialects of the Arabian peninsula. Also Yemeni and Sudanese Arabic are the most conservative. Yemeni Hebrew also happens to be conservative.

All countries on this map teach a standard Arabic in school that's used for everything other than everyday conversation
All Arabs that went to school will communicate using that language so no it's not pointless
Your wife should start reading Arabic poetry when she becomes fluent, it's really beautiful if you understand it