Since the board is flooded with racist africa threads...

Since the board is flooded with racist africa threads, let's try and have a normal discussion about african cultures and civilizations, here are a few things i know about Africa (not my field of study but African history is something i read about a lot).

Africa and its abundance of resources:
>Africa has had a long history in trading it's resources, the biggest African empires (Mali and Ghana) where concentrated around the Ghana lake (great for agriculture) but also the west african gold fields. The need for centralizing the Gold trade is what made these multi-etnic empires possible.
>The swahilli city states in east africa also traded in gold, salt and ivory. A lot of states around the eastcoast of Africa where very active in indian ocean trade routes and with that expanded the old world web.

African climate and development.
>most of the bigger states in africa developped around the Sahel region, this is the best region in Africa for Agriculture (agriculture was even invented in this region without connection to other agricultural cultures)
>Africa is a huge continent so the climate differs enormously, still a lot of africa has a tropical climate. A climate in which agriculture, sometimes just isn't the best option. A lot of African societies stayed hunter gatherers until European discovery, (although we know of some tropical african states.)

Why did africa develop slower than states in eurasia?
>Because most of africa was cut from eurasia by the Sahara, the biggest empires we know where the ones connected to eurasia:

>The aksumite empire at it's time was a major superpower. Aksum was located in a major location for trade between the roman empire and india. -> connected through the Nile and the Red sea
>The Mali empire Best known for its ruler mansa musa who single handedly caused inflation in the mideterranean goldtrade on his pilgrimmage to mecca. -> connected via the berbers
>The Ghana empire, a huge empire in Roman and medieval times -> also the berbers

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X75COneJ4w8
unz.com/akarlin/ethiopia/
biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/09/135962
gnxp.nofe.me/2017/07/10/the-great-bantu-expansion-was-massive/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24901532/?i=2&from=/19425093/related
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Cont

African culture and literary tradition
>African culture consists mostly of oral traditoins some of which are amazingly complex and have strong overlying themes that you don't often find in western literature
>favourite of mine would be the epic of sundiate which also has historical value because it tells us of an alexander-like figure who founded the mali empire on the ruins of the Ghana empire

African history itself:
>Studying African history is not that popular and pretty hard, there is an amazing lack of written sources but that also means there is still A LOT to discover.
>in current Africa there are not a lot of historians, so we do not have a lot of local voices to hear or give an opinion.

What do you know about the history of African cultures?
>Are there parallels to eurasian cultures?
>Do you know of intresting African literary traditions, Figures or states?
>Why do you think a lot of Africa adopted writing so late
>Is there someone with a degree on African history on Veeky Forums?

i guess Veeky Forums really is /pol/ with dates

Both make fun of Hitler's low IQ?

WE

WUZZ

KANGZZ

AYOOO

Documentary series by African historian Basil Davidson; I've only seen the episode on Kano (the King and the City), but it gives me a good impression of the rest of the episodes, so I will link it here: youtube.com/watch?v=X75COneJ4w8

>bwaaa no one cares about Sub-Saharan Africa, its the Nazi's fault!

It's fine for people to not care about Sub-Saharan Africa, but you can't post a thread talking about it without /pol/ shitting it up instantly.

One really important thing I think most people fail to realise is how small the population of Africa historically was.

Estimates of historical populations are pretty sketchy, but the Roman empire at its height would've had several times the population of sub-Saharan Africa.

Black genocide is real, preach it.

>from top left, clockwise
no, yes, hell yes, no, hell yes, yes

can someone tl;dr me about Ethiopians? There are lots of them at universities, and they generally do very well for themselves considering their country is dirt poor and their neighbour the Somalis are generally the scum of the earth. How come some of them have an almost Asian-like approach to education and good jobs?

Ethiopia is the most populous country in Africa, so lots of people to choose from?

I dunno, but they do have a very long literary tradition and their cunt was remarkably stable, it was ruled by a single dynasty for about a thousand years until the Derg took over, which was a commie military junta.

>what is Nigeria

Ethiopian give decided to make a plan with education. Because most were failing they decided that school fees were free UNLESS YOU FAILED. So parents began pushing kids to do well academically. Source - student of history and anthropology in Africa

WE

wuz namefags?

That's some damn nice carrot-and-stick action. I'll remember that if I become a despot.

Ethiopia has a long tradition of being a Christian nation, IIRC they were one of the first nations to adopt Christianity. Also a pretty long and bloody struggle with Islam.

Medieval legends and stories about Prester John often revolve around Ethiopia.

le ebin XD XD XD

Thanks! Will watch!

>Ethiopia
Abyssinia you mean

I'm pretty sure Ethiopia is quite rich

>what is Nigeria
The largest economy of Africa.

Ethiopia isn't that big of a shithole either, this is Addis Abeba the capital

How does this meme even make any sense in this context?

Aksum you mean

Not so much these days, but it was in the past and probably will be again.

Did your phone autocorrect country To cunt?

Just a habit from other sub4chans.

Genuinly interested, is the country not destabilized by all the wars nearby?

Most of the destabilisation is from different ethnicities within that want to split off and form their own countries. One country, Eritrea, already did manage to split off.

Nice thread, OP, sorry about all the shitposters. Going further back in African history, I'm quite interested in the Bantu Expansion. It reminds me a lot of the Indo-European expansion in Eurasia, except probably even more genocidal. It's clear that much of current Bantu territory was populated by "Pygmy-like" peoples who did not contribute to the genes of the current inhabitants of those areas.

I found this an interesting read on modern Ethiopia, especially given that I can't recall seeing the country in the news for anything other than famines and the African Union war in Somalia. Seems there's some reason for optimism now.
unz.com/akarlin/ethiopia/

Eh, they were probably just absorbed into the population back then, with some massacres here and there but not proper genocide. That goes for both Indo-Europeans and Bantus.

jaja yeah, We were africans" yup

Except we have actual genetic data now. Indo-Europeans almost totally wiped out the prior inhabitants of Britain, for example.
>We use these observations to show that the spread of the Beaker Complex to Britain was mediated by migration from the continent that replaced >90% of Britain's Neolithic gene pool within a few hundred years, continuing the process that brought Steppe ancestry into central and northern Europe 400 years earlier.
biorxiv.org/content/early/2017/05/09/135962

We don't have as much ancient DNA from central/south Africa, but we know archaeologically that Pygmy/bushmen types used to live there, and that the Bantus who live there now have very little admixture from them.
gnxp.nofe.me/2017/07/10/the-great-bantu-expansion-was-massive/

didn't even know a lot about the bantu expansion, are the "bushmen" also no ancestors of the bantu?

That's not really evidence of a genocide...

What's your model for how an almost-total population replacement would happen?

even now pygmy's are still slaves to the bantu

not that guy, but could be gradual replacement, competing for resources and one group declining as a result of food shortage

They didn't even reproduce much with the local women except in geographically marginal areas where the expansion petered out and stable contact zones could have developed.

>There is still debate whether this linguistic divide is correlated with a genetic distinction between Eastern and Western Bantu speakers. During their expansion, Bantu speakers would have come into contact with diverse local populations, such as the Khoisan hunter-gatherers and pastoralists of southern Africa, with whom they may have intermarried. In this study, we analyze complete mtDNA genome sequences from over 900 Bantu-speaking individuals from Angola, Zambia, Namibia, and Botswana to investigate the demographic processes at play during the last stages of the Bantu expansion. Our results show that most of these Bantu-speaking populations are genetically very homogenous, with no genetic division between speakers of Eastern and Western Bantu languages. Most of the mtDNA diversity in our dataset is due to different degrees of admixture with autochthonous populations. Only the pastoralist Himba and Herero stand out due to high frequencies of particular L3f and L3d lineages; the latter are also found in the neighboring Damara, who speak a Khoisan language and were foragers and small-stock herders. In contrast, the close cultural and linguistic relatives of the Herero and Himba, the Kuvale, are genetically similar to other Bantu-speakers.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24901532/?i=2&from=/19425093/related

Well, there's not much to go on from the abstract. If they were mainly from one specific area, then it's meaningless.

Depending on what happened culturally, it could be as simple as, low native population got outbred by a larger, more technologically advanced population that were more efficient farmers.

Black genocide is real, preach it bro

stop spamming a quallity thread with your shitty /pol/ strawman

this stuff about the oral tradition is great :-) would you mind giving some more information about what themes are present in african stories that aren't familiar to people from the west? this is really interesting to me.

well here's one from the wikipedia page of sundiata, it's pretty long and convoluted though

>As an oral historical epic, Sundiata conveys information not only about the history of the Mali Empire, but also about the culture of the Mande ethnic group. Mande family structures had two elements—constructive (badenya) or destructive (fadenya).[citation needed] Fadenya, or "father-child-ness," is the rivalry between half-siblings, and is represented in the epic of Sundiata by the animosity between Sundiata, son of Sogolon, and Dankaran Touman, son of Sassouma (king Nare Marghan's first wife). The destructive forces of fadenya eventually cause Sundiata and his mother to be exiled from Mali, in the fear that Sassouma would hurt Sogolon's family. Badenya, or "mother-child-ness," is the affection between children of the same mother. This is represented in the epic by the support of Sundiata's sister, Kolonkan, in watching over him against Sassouma's attempts at witchcraft, and by his siblings' later support of him in his battle to reclaim Mali. Maternal support is also important for Sundiata to overcome his physical impairment and begin to walk in response to his mother's pleading. The importance of the mother is underscored by the narrator, who says "the child is worth no more than the mother is worth."[4] Significantly, Sundiata needed both the opposing forces of fadenya and badenya to fulfill his destiny, indicating that both elements are necessary to Mande culture .

i would also say that a lot of these stories have this wierd form of a theme of redemption, main characters often have to "prove" themselves through hard work before they become significant and start accomplishing things

a lot of stories remind me of homer's poëms, the stories have grown organnically and that shows, they have this way of portraying the essence of human conflict and experiences

you could just ignore them.

thank you so much! this is exactly the kind of thing i was talking about; the concept itself is familiar, but actually having a word for the potential animosity between half-siblings isn't something i've come across before.

the idea of having to work hard before achieving any success rather than being predestined for greatness is also interesting, considering the number of heroes in western myths who have some kind of divine lineage or approval from god that guarantees them success (not to say that hardworking western heroes with humble origins don't exist)

definitely going to read more about sundiata - are there any other epic stories you would recommend? if you're thinking of one in particular that's homeric i would be eager to find out more about that

The Khoisan (or Bushmen people) are not only the ancestors of the Bantu, they're the ancestors of literally every other African ethnic and racial group. Or at the very least, they were the first humans to branch off from the basic Homo sapiens stock around 100,000 years ago, and have the most Paleolithic African DNA in them. The closest people related to them are the Sandawe people in East Africa and the Pygmies, who branched off of them around 80,000 years ago.

The Bantu speaking people in particular however, came from Southeast Nigeria and Cameroon, however they aren't related to other West Africans.

elephant hunter take your bow is a pretty beautiful poëm, it has this distinct atmosphere to it

Bayajidda and Eri are pretty interesting myths/epics

I'm pretty new to this myself and the stories seem pretty hard to come by, but sundiata sure is a great read and the best known one, i saw a play about the epic when i was younger and it amazed me a lot

so the bantu are not related to other west africans like the mande?

Only linguistically, and that was 3,500 years ago. It's like how Romanians and Portuguese people are both Latin/Romance language speaking people.

bump

Bump

>niggers
>building a city
Kek

Benin Kumasi Timbuktu Mbanza Kongo Gao Djenne Gondar Aksum Mogadishu Great Zimbabwe Zanzibar
On the top of my head

wh*Te subhuman please

Ethopians keep to themselves alot. They even dont use the same calendar as the rest of the world. They are a few years back to the rest of the world.

All favela-tier shitholes

>African culture and identity

WE WUZ OPPRESSED N SHEEEIT
KILL WHITEY MOFUGGAH

SHEEEYUUUUT TELL EM CLETUS,

>cleetus

Try again, nignog

t. Tyrone

These are historical cities

I you are so triggered by the words African culture and identity, you're just projecting

Congolese as recently as independence in 1960 still consider pygmies to be a different species. Just as white officers in the Force Publique (Congolese army) called their black soldiers monkeys, black Congolese called their Pygmy neighbors the same. I doubt the pygmies integrated to bantu groups

Where the fuck is Rhapta, lads?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhapta

I mean, if the city was burned down do you think there would at least still be fragments of it on a beach somewhere?

I'm guessing it's connected to the peoples that would later form the cultures of the Sofala kingdom (which we barely know anything about either). The few ruins and relics in Mozambique left by the Sofala are similar to the ones found in Great Zimbabwe.