Do you think historical traditions should be respected even if they are racist?

Do you think historical traditions should be respected even if they are racist?

>Pic very related

Of course

that's not racist? lmao

No, all historical traditions are unnecessary and should be done away with.

Black pete is not a negro, he is black from coaldust, you phillistine

Well baited user, here have a (you)

Racism is realizing there are differences among races, prejudice is acting biased based off these presumptions. Is it wrong to be racist? Nope. There is nothing wrong with this tradition.

>triggered by a blackface

Do you don't have mirrors nigger?

>racist

>Racism is discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable..

sweden please leave

>Acts nothing like a black racial caricature
>Comes from a chimney sweeper tale
>Is somehow racist

>painting your face black in america is racist, therefore it's racist everywhere
this is why everyone hates americans

Why don't they just hire African
actor to play Zwarte Piet?

> Santa's helpers are black-faced
> This somehow reflects bad on black people

The people getting angry over this have no idea how much they are hurting their cause

because black pete isn't a negro, it's litteraly stated in his tale that he is a white person that became black by going through all the chimneys all his life.

On a side note in belgium Africans usualy did play black pete, and where pretty pissed of that they couldn't anymore when they changed pete to a dirty ash pete in order for him to more clearly represent the 'black by coal white man' he is supposed to be.

Black pete is supposed to be covered in soot.
Also yes

Historical (racist) traditions should be respected, but don't have to be performed.
And on the topic of Zwarte Piet I agree with most of the repliers. Zwarte Piet isn't a racist tradition. His story doesn't line up with a racist ideology. However, many people confuse Zwarte Piet to be an actual black man, making Sinterklaas the white slave owner with black slaves.
If that was the case, I could see people being offended by this and mistaking it for racism, when it's really just a matter of being ill-informed (not sure if that's a word).

In the end, it all comes down to Sinterklaas being a holiday for children. I highly disagree with it being made a political problem when it doesn't have to be, and there aren't any clear negative outcomes aside from the whining people and irrelevant outcries on television. And if Zwarte Piet is made a little less black, I wouldn't mind. Since it really is for the children.

(I would like to note that I see differences in the interference in information children consume. I believe Zwarte Piet is much less harmful than the unnecessary inclusion of fictional gay couples in children's television. I hope the correlation is clear, and this statement isn't too OT.)

Yes they should be respected. I'm Dutch and it's sickening that people are praised for saying that this children's tradition is worse than CHILD RAPE. On fucking television. If you don't like it. Go back to Africa and claim your benefi- oh wait.

Being black is racist now?

There is a prominent African-Dutch woman who loved doing Black Pete for a company every year.

That company fired her because they're going white Pete, a role she can't do cause she's black

>TFW the left wants to help african-dutch communities but instead puts them out of a job

Yes much better then coca Cola claus.
I wish the yule Goat still was a thing in Scandinavia.

>racist

I think you're confusing racist with stereotypical

Does Black Pete have stereotypical 'African' traits? Yes.

Are these traits used to opress or demean actual people of African descent? No.
He's just a fairytale figure that helps Sinterklaas and gives out free candy to children. How horrible.

Also, the Netherlands didn't have a blackface minstrel tradition like the United States had, so comparisons to US race issues are pretty dumb.

>there was already wassup money under the mask
can't make this shit up

Yeah that's why he has red lips and curly hair right? The chimney tale was made up a few decades ago, Black Pete is a Moor. The racism debate has been going on for half a century. It's time to bury Sinterklaas.

Black Pete is a Moor, that is obvious. However, it is a Dutch tradition, you are most likely not a Dutchman, natives are in charge of their own culture and your opinion is irrelevant to what the majority of our people (ethnic people, not "citizens") believe. Call it racist all you want but it should not matter.

I am Dutch,but I am from the Catholic south where it is a tradition but not as much as in the North where it is held instead of Christmas, so it's not as ingrained in the culture here.

T. 60kg wegende Groenlinks stemmende relnicht

Bijna

120kg wegende PvdD stemmende rijkeluiszoontje

Ben je veganist?

>Black bart is racist because some communist dyke says so
Everything is racist if you listen to the left.

Nee, als je veganist bent snap je je eigen lichaam niet.

Go cry about white genocide or race realism to your mom

The controversy is the deranged consequence of americans trying to spread their cultural standards everywhere including europe where they do not apply and are out of context, yanks should fuck off from muh culture. Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet zijn gebaseerd.

Anatomy is racist too

This

Jesus Christ, can we just let traditions be as they are and were?
They are the only thing i really care about.

I fucking hate Humanities students and teachers, specially those in Sociology. They believe that every difference between humans are the product of a social construct.
My sociology teacher pointed out that females had grown hairless in most parts of their bodies due tu years of shaving and depilation. When I pointed out that that's not how it works and it was most likely the product of evolution and selection, and that hairy women had 'gone extinct' (and I said that in between several air quotes) she chimped out.
Fuck these people. Social constructs are a thing, we are social beings, but most important, we are biological beings. Sexual and racial dimorphism can't be disregarded.

Black piet is not racist.. Kids dont know what's what they only see the gif he and sinterklaas brings if anything it makes the kids growning up in white small towns less scared for black man... Plus sinterklaas whas in fact a pedophile in turky and gave gifts to the kids how he raped... So on a moral scal what more unethical... The racist thing that brings the presents to the kids or the fact we celebrate the biggest pedophile in history and let kids sit in his lap and take photo's... Plus what about the jews they celebrate passover that is the day god slaughtered al the egyptains just for them... And what about the germans they still have a fucking party in government called the neo nazies.. No body in the world seem to be make a fuss about it.. So start with crying about that before u start making the world a shitty place

I think that racism should be respected.

>racism

Maybe, but your pic isn't racist at all

I've heard it was supposed to be coal dust but why aren't his lips also black?

He was turned black by the coal. It's a fairy tale for kids.

Yes and why aren't his lips also black then?

Was your professor actually Lamarck?

would you let coal just sit on your lips? the rest can wait but you dont want to taste coal

Because the first thinbg he did after getting covered in coal dust was drink some cherry kool-aid. Probably because he's a fucking nig nog.

But if you keep your lips closed you won't taste the dust
But I was told it wasn't supposed to be a black guy just a white chimney sweep

that would be funny, if it weren't so sad.

btw that comment is from a video clip of the simpsons where mister burns is at yale and encounters SJW (thats the tittle)

>i am an edgelord who unironically believes that making fun of people of color is fine in the current year