How do I legitimately beleive in a religion

I can't shake the dread from monist materialism and see so many happy people in my personal life that think it'll be okay and death isn't the end of a pointless existence.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QNCruTB7hMU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would you want to believe in religion?

Start by praying on a daily basis. Contemplate on the idea of God and the strangeness of existence. Read Kierkegaard.

You have to lower your IQ
Try heavy drinking or cut your oxigen supply for a couple of minutes

It's not hard really, just act as tho you believed, go to church, pray, whatever, and eventually you will trick your brain into actually believing. Religious people call this "fake it 'till you make it" and it's an approach with deep psychological effectiveness.

Because nihilism fucking sucks. I don't even necessarily want a denominational heaven or something but I would appreciate existing in some form forever. I wouldn't even mind death being like an eternal sleep if we could dream in that shit.

So just start believing then. The only one stopping you from having faith in fairies promising you eternal life is you.

self hypnosis like this guy said

>fairy tales
Are you the same user that derailed the what if thread earlier?

No. Comparing religion to fairy tales is a fairly common

Have you tried embracing the absurd?

You're looking for your question to be answered. Religion is having the answer without caring about the question.

Can you actually believe something if you know you only believe it because it gives you comfort?

How does nihilism suck?

It doesn't. People don't realize that for every why there is a why not.

No, and that's my issue. I find it nearly impossible to convert and my religious family and friends don't get why.

Get into a joke religion like discordianis, Satanism, pastafarianism, or protestantism.

Then I would suggest you look for meaning I your own life and the natural world. There is a lot of good in this world, though it may be difficult to find.

This

dude just turn your brain off lol

No no that's the point I don't want to turn my brain off.

Too many fedoratippers in one thread, I can feel my upper-neck tingling already.

You will only 'legitimately believe' when you have your first religious experience.
By brianlets, yes.
Good only exists when recognizing its creator. Without, there is no good, merely 'is'. Slatelessness is the inherent lack of meaning or form. No, there is no 'good' in your world, there is nothing.

Skip religion, pick philosophy.

I recommend Stoicism. Religion is fairy tales, Philosophy is the same shit without the extra bullshit.

>monist materialism

looks like you already believe in a religion

get into philosophy OP. Read about idealism/realism debate. you're also misunderstanding science and the nature of it's results. check out scientific instrumentalism

you probably think the world consits of atoms like mini planets and that's all that exists and it will slowly succumb to the heat death.

this is a belief based on false assumptions about science and the philosophy of perception

also you were thrust into existence before from nothingess, so it's in the nature of nothingness to thrust forth lifetimes. so when you die and go back to nothing, what's to prevent nature doing the very same thing that it did before this lifetime, and thrust you into existece again?

>you probably think the world consits of atoms like mini planets and that's all that exists and it will slowly succumb to the heat death.

Well, not like mini planets, and energy exists, but yeah, generally, that's about right.

>what's to prevent nature doing the very same thing that it did before this lifetime, and thrust you into existence again?

I've actually thought about that sometimes but its completely unverifiable.

Stoicism is for children. No wonder you don't understand religion, you're a fucking child.
>verifiability is relevant
Just off yourself if you hate life so much.

At what point did I say I hate life?
Verifiability is relevant for faith in a thing, at least to me.

Because you're a STEMsperg. You are forever Godless.
You hate life because you reject creation, and instead love abstractions of it. You hate life because you hate its creator, but instead claim it to be its own.

>Creating this strawman for literally no reason.
I am a STEMfag but I'm more of an agnostic deist at worst. I don't hate life, I do think something supernatural created it (though not necessarily a God as described by any religion) and I wouldn't hate that creator. I don't hate the universe for existing, I'm disappointed that, in a universe that should theoretically exist forever, we all blip in and out of oblivion, at least to the best of any current empirical knowledge.

>babbys first existential crisis

Life is a powerful force, being alive is a gift.
I'd rather revel in the existence of myself and others than let the theory that it all dissipates into a void of nothing rule my actions.

Nihilism is cancer, regardless of any technical truths it may explain.
Work together every day to make the world better for every man born tomorrow. We're worth more, here, alive on this planet now, than any infinite vastness of simple weights and orbital mechanics.

Not my first, I just never adopted a philosophy that dispels them, so they get pushed back but not overcome.

You haven't really stated what religions you are interested in or even read. Terms like deism, theism, a creator, etc are not religions in of themselves but aspects of belief systems. You're looking at it in the wrong way.

>w do I legitimately beleive in a religion

Believe in God more than religion. But even if you're an atheist God may still take a liking to you if your God's type.

youtube.com/watch?v=QNCruTB7hMU

That's the thing, when I look into the history of religions that interest me their origins seem so mundane and likely to be false, or at least corruptions of actual religious knowledge.

>agnostic deist
you sit so hard on the fence, you have a pole sticking out of your mouth. You're something out of Vlad's yard!
You do hate life, and God.
>empirical knowledge
Empirical knowledge isn't what you pretend it is. Empirical knowledge is instantaneous perception. No, your reflections on perception are not 'empirical knowledge', this includes 'instantaneous' thoughts upon perception.
Fucking teenagers.

>THEYRE FALSE BECAUSE THEY DONT FIT MUH AUTISTIC MIND
kys before that fence pole causes you to go septic.

>Well, not like mini planets, and energy exists, but yeah, generally, that's about right.

this a completely unverifiable religious belief based on the religious assumption of scientific realism and materiaism

No, they're false/prone to inaccuracy because you can draw pretty solid lines between certain faiths showing they are just mutations of older ones and the older ones are so muddied in origin that they may well be inflated superstition. Faiths with historical figureheads such as Buddhism and Christianity at least have that bit going for them but still are difficult to verify; Jesus was one of a lot of purported messiahs in the area at the time with a historical record that leaves much to be desired, particularly regarding his resurrection (the most important part) and Buddha wasn't trying to come back from the dead in the first place.

How is it unverifiable? It's the current accepted model of the universe. It's falsifiable but has not been falsified thus far.

What answer are you looking for? A list of religions?

study buddhism, all you fears and ideas about death are illusions

>How is it unverifiable? It's the current accepted model of the universe. It's falsifiable but has not been falsified thus far.

you need to learn about the philosophy of science

you're taking scientific theories to be actual factual descriptions about an externally existing reality, that actually exists

look into scientific instrumentalism, which is the preferred belief for nobel laureates

>Dude LMAO just invent an ideal so you don't feel bad
>muh God
Nihilism is actually the only way to be intellectually honest

>stoicism
What's the point in dehuminizing yourself? I'd rather be dead to be honest.

>superstition is wrong becuz i sed so
>u can draw solid lines becuz i sed so
>ter is no god becuz i sed so IT ISNT LOGICAL AND DOESNT FIT MUH AUTISTIC WORLD
>MUH HISTORE IS ACCURATE BECAUSE MUH AUTISM
>muh accepted model
STEMspergs are naive, they will believe anything.

>intellectualism
Spook
At least try
>invent an ideal
Nope, stop spooking yourself there bud.

I wish preteens would stop reading Stirner, as if they understood him.

Stirner wasnt a nihlist, just very close to it. Where a nihlist would say nothihng matters, Stirner would say I matter.

It's pretty easy, OP

>accept Deism on a logical basis
>embrace a religion on an identarian basis
>accept and internalise that religion on a philosophical basis

ur welcum

>how do I believe
user if you have any sliver of intelligence you know there's no answer for that and contrary to what some of these anons are saying, "tricking yourself into believing something" is utter bullshit and on top of that you would always be left with slivers of doubt. There are plenty of wise and intelligent people who are religious or at least deist. Start discussing the philosophy and theology of different religions on sites or forums dedicated to them, the purpose of this wouldn't be to settle with any religion but to begin considering the possibility of the spiritual. Veeky Forums is not a good place for this sort of thing. Too much shitposting and snark.

Unless you believe that the fundamental substance can be created or destroyed, then you believe in eternal life. Rejoice, we all live forever!

That said, if you want to be pointed in the right direction when it comes to theology, pick up Plato and Aristotle. Platonism represents the height of man's theological knowledge, and proves we will live forever.

Don't read anything written by "Neoplatonists", though.

Give philosopher John Gray a shot.

>Don't read anything written by "Neoplatonists", though.

What's wrong neoplatonists though?

t.like st..Augustines theology

Deism is for redditors. 'embracing a religion' can only be done ontologically.
Fuck off, psychobabblist.

Platonism is absolute garbage.

lol what a weak willed faggot

Go to a mosque and ask them to teach you about religion, I'm quite sure they'll show you what you seek.

>people refuse to believe in ancient equivilant to self reinforcing delusional personality cult
>call them fedora tippers, that ought to show them

The greatest injustice in this world is that willing slaves will die having never known their folly

I wish deists would stop reading stirner, as if it confirms their bias

You're the slave, though. You've earned your death already. Letzter Mensch, you've choosen to mope in suffering instead of love it.
I'm not a deist. I hate deists, passionately.

>bias is bad
SPOOK'D

Who said anything about misery?

It's... self-evident... looking at... history... it is a fact... human nature... natural law...

3 steps:
-Know the history of the people the religion refers to
-Read the sacred texts/holy messages
-Discuss the disputable topics with practicants with a successful life

All wrong. Back to /r/eddit, protestant.

how can it be wrong if it worked for him?

>pragmatism
kys

Read some aristotle

It's not pragmatism. Try it and you will see the results.

No, it is pragmatism. 'it just werks' meme bullshit

>I hate deists, passionately
I'm actually curious as to why.
What do deists do and believe in that rustles you?

>i don't want to do anything
So you want a deductive answer?

They're the most pretentious navel-gazing faggots to ever exist. America's ridiculous founders? Deists. Cult of Reason? Deists. 'enlightenment' idiots in general? Deists. Every time I see a period portrait of a 'philosopher' or other 'intellectual', I want to smash their deist face in.

Not that user, but how are they navel-gazing? Pretty much every religion-philosophy is born of navel-gazing if you're seeking a reason to say it is. Deism seems pretty relaxed to me, at least in the way I affiliate with it.
>Something created the universe
>Either the universe created itself (meaning our laws of physics are completely invalid) or an external force initiated creation.
>If an external force, might as well call it God. Doesn't mean it cares about us or is sentient, but it can do what nothing else in this world can.

Deism isn't relaxed, it's pretentious and nihilistic.

So?

triggered

Only if you make it so. By your own logic even, misery can only exist if you recognize it's creator. You are the master of your own fate, my simple friend. If you require a god to give your life meaning, then you're pittiable

You're illiterate.
>CREATE YOUR OWN MEANIGN XDDDDDDD LE MEME NIHILISM BRO
Fuck off back to /b/, sperglord.

So you believe everything the Bible says to the letter? That's just the worst, religious or not

I smell the lawjik guy.

I miss Constantine.

>Don't believe the Word of God, Goyim!

Jesus clearly was the product of Joseph having anal sex with Mary, with some of his semen dripping down into her vagina, thus impregnating her.

Better?

Neo-Platonism is the result of an ontological error. It's simply wrong.

As for St. Augustine, he's a Christian. I know Christians often confuse Plotinus with Plato, but at any rate Augustus' beliefs are fundamentally incompatible with Plato and Aristotle.

Sounds like you dislike the truth.

Platonism is the height of theological knowledge. Please to be converting.

Allahu Ackbar.

>Believe everything that's written as it's written, no matter how baseless and rediculous, worm!

O shit! He's making more sense than I was prepared for! Better resort to le Reddit spech XD and ad hominen

Jesus you're as bad as the turks

Believe God in all cases.

Yes.

Stop talking to the fundamentalists.

Yes, we wouldn't want to hear the truth. We love our lies so much.

>America's ridiculous founders? Deists.

One of 55 was a deist.

36 were Christian pastors.
18 were Christians but not pastors.

>It's the word of god because somebody wrote it in a book that way, and I have no way of knowing who or why

Whatever man. I don't actually think anything anyone could say will change your mind, or any mind of those that believe in god. The only thing that would do that is by definition unknowable. If it helps you sleep at night

Stop posting this thread.

Which?

You can believe in god while not believing in a religion.

But religionfags seem to have such a comfy life. Even if they're wrong they didn't wast time dreading.

>But religionfags seem to have such a comfy life.
That's not always true. In fact Abrahamic religion warns you that shit will probably get worse for you and most Catholic mysticism revolves around this.
>Even if they're wrong they didn't waste time dreading
This is true though.
Even if there was no god and I could hypothetically come to know that in my death, I wouldn't regret anything because I didn't begin believing in my God out of some fear of death and hope for the afterlife but because of the virtue and wonder I saw in quite a few modern saints- their tranquility and love for other people. I'd be happy just knowing I spent my life towards self improvement and helping others when I could, helping make the world a little less shit for at least some people.

See, that seems nice.

No, I'm not pr*testant. Why are you making such assumptions, Dirty Deist?
I smell autism...

Pascals wager is for scaredy queers that can't commit