Is this a historically accurate reproduction of a 15th century warhamer?

Is this a historically accurate reproduction of a 15th century warhamer?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JOBTFfHJjV8
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI
truefork.org/DragonPreservationSociety/Swordheavy.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no

No, it's more in line with weapons made in the late 3rd century after Aegon's conquest.

No

Is that a shoop, or has GoT seriously devolved into giant plastic LARP weapons?
I realize GoT has Giants, but that guy would not be able to hold that thing. There's gotta be 200 pounds of steel there

That is cosplay tier, wtf is up with D&D, holy shit.

It's a pretty obvious shop.

progressing the show beyond the books was a mistake

He's been rowing for 3 years straight, he can handle the weight

did they ever explain why the did that? wasn't it popular enough to stretch it out and take as long as possible?

Because everyone knows the books will never be finished anyway, at least they're giving an ending at all

I'm in fucking disbelief. I don't understand it anymore. Is this World of Warcraft? I thought the whole appeal of this story to people was that it was low-magic and light on overtly fantastical elements. WTF is that Harley Quinn shit?

actual

A retarded ending. Although, to be fair, I stopped watching 40 minutes into S6E1.

>did they ever explain why the did that?
cause the books arent finished

>wasn't it popular enough to stretch it out and take as long as possible?
It got popular using GRRM's material, now that they're writing it themselves it's turned to mediocre script-writing and predictable TV tropes. Characters of importance no longer die and fan service dictates screen time.

It's just going to be CGI battle scenes and Westerosi A-Team shit from here on out.

still comical

Is this a historically accurate reenactment of medieval combat?

i can accept this

i can't accept this. Brienne proved herself the greatest swordsman in Westeros by defeating the Hound, who had defeated the Mountain, who had defeated Loras Tyrell. this was completely retarded already.
now Arya, who spent most of her time in Bravos washing dead bodies while her sword was hidden in some rocks easily defeats her. anyone still watching this shit really needs to reevaluate their priorities.

>STR vs DEX

>I cannot accept this
>Posts a picture with anime tier armour and weaponry

it's fantasy, they have dragons and other unrealistic shit. as long as the fantasy elements remain internally consistent i can accept them, outlandish armour and weapons fall within that.

Arya getting stabbed three times in the stomach with a 6 inch knife, falling into a filthy river and then doing parkour the next day was not internally consistent and broke the immersion, for the sake of a cool chase scene. there have been no on screen explanations of how this stuff is possible, and it has not been possible outside of that one scene. they just write "cool" stuff now, how it fits in with the rest of the series has become irrelevant.

Only the 1st season was good anyway, everything after that has been D&D getting progressively more retarded with shit bad poosi and 20 good men

it would be interesting to see how shit the show actually gets, but i had to drop it after i realised that Dany's entourage was made up of 3 eunuch men, a dwarf man, and a bunch of strong women who she had conversations with about how stupid men were and how great women were. and they have an entire army of eunuchs of course.

i had no reason to be watching a show that gave me the shits that much anymore, Tywin and Stannis were dead and all the surviving characters were so poorly written it may as well be a fanfic.

The first episode this year included over 5 minutes of footage of Sam cleaning up poo from bedpans, I think it was the perfect representation of the show

it felt like 10. they could have included something interesting from one of his classes but nah fuck that a montage of him wrist deep in shit and shitty soup is a more worthwhile way to spend the very limited amount of time they have this season.

and then there's how retarded Jorah's cure was. this is one of the most dangerous plagues in the entire world and all you have to do is cut that shit off? Sam isn't even infected after all that? i don't understand why they're deliberately writing such nonsensical shlock, it's as if they're putting effort into their incompetence.

I like how important Randyl Tarly turned out to be, never tries to get Heartsbane back (doesn't even seem to notice it's gone), and dies after one battle he didn't even appear in, very important he was around though so Highgarden could be taken off screen

>Tywin and Stannis were dead
>the best white characters
>all the surviving characters
>all the surviving non-white cast
ftfy racist

It could pass for tournament armour.

i wouldnt be surprised if Sam never even mentions Heartsbane again, just another dropped plot.

why keep watching the show user? there's no reason but all the complaining you get to do, which admittedly is fun but is ultimately pointless. 90% of the people watching the show think it's genius and all it does is raise my blood pressure.

>best characters happen to be old white men
>pure coincidence
it's not my fault m8

>why keep watching the show user?
Because I've lost control of my life, and /got/ memes

how was the last episode anyway? i might watch it so i can go bitch about it on /tv/

The Davos parts are alright

GOT Water Dancing is basically Wuxia + Rapier/smallsword.

GoT's stunt crew pretty much asigned some of the exotic Essos stuff Chinese Martial Arts. Like Oberyn's fighting-pit spear movements.

Unsullied do meme HEMA spear and shield though.

The only martial art the Unsullied have displayed is losing to dagger wielding rich kids

got past season 3 was a mistake

Fuck killing Barry Selmy. Still havent gotten over that.

The Hound had an infected wound and didn't really beat The Mountain, the King called off the fight

i exaggerated for comedic effect

but the fight between Brienne and the Hound didn't bring the infected wound or Valyrian steel sword into it at all. they clearly wanted to represent her as the superior fighter, which they've done throughout the series.

Well at least she's like 7 feet tall, not a meme like Arya

she's no taller than the Hound, who would be vastly stronger than her. the show (and books really) just have too much feminist bullshit in them for me.

kekekek
downloaded the episode this morning, not bad
but the hammer is shooped. but not by much, but youll see when you watch the episode

I can't bring myself to watch this show anymore. Every season after 2 it gets worse and worse.

This. There was literally no reason.

The fencing, historical combat and historical weapons are among the worst unrealistic fantasy shit ever. Otherwise a nice show.

Never fucking understood the hate stannis received from them.

Why is realism such a good thing exactly?

Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

GoT has always had shit designs when it came to arms and armour.

Because if you are spending already big money on production, why not make it at least look a little realistic.
Like you could make the weapons look less retarded and more functional whilst easily keeping them functional. Pic related.
As for the stage fighting, decades ago stage fighting was an art, actors would take fencing and riding lessons, sure it was stage fighting, but it was good one. got is just awful in that regard. It somewhat kills the atmosphere when somebody is about to die and they fight like clowns.
some positive examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=JOBTFfHJjV8
youtube.com/watch?v=Cn36Pb8z3yI

>Why is realism such a good thing exactly?
It makes the experience more compelling because when you see something that clashes with reasonable expectations it immediately makes you realise that you're watching actors in costumes playing pretend rather than a rendition of something that could happen under the given circumstances.

>keeping them fantasy.
is what i meant, sorry.

Honestly, I suspect that if realism was the prime motivator for medieval fantasy series and movies, people would actually think it was boring.

Just a hunch.

>implying you should ever keep your sword behind your back

totally looks like a legit weapon

probably built a few years ago to scam tourists

Then don't make it the prime motivator but avoid retarded shit?

Not as the prime motivator, but if you spend the cash anyways why not ask the props guy to make a hammer that looks a little less comic style?

It's a balancing act

Too much "realism" would turn the show into a bunch of old men going to meetings and young men doing tedious shit over and over again with the occasional moment of sheer terror.

Too little "realism" kills the immersion for anyone in the know. When they see a tv show speak authoritatively about a subject they're clearly ignorant about, you're asking people to willfully suspend disbelief, and a large number of people have a very low tolerance for suspending disbelief

The only character in the show who fights like a Medieval European knight actually would is The Hound. Maybe Bronn, discounting him throwing blades and shit.

The rest is crap.

Brienne should be able to crush through those blocks and cleave Arya into a fucking pile. As with fistfighting and wrestling, the bigger swordsman has the advantage.

It is a legit 19th century Indian Zaghnal.

>There's gotta be 200 pounds of steel there
Steel is much lighter than you're giving it credit for.

For instance, a 20 pound sword, if it's of average 15th century width and thickness, would be about 50 feet long. truefork.org/DragonPreservationSociety/Swordheavy.php

While granted, something of that hammer's dimensions would be way too unwieldy for a human to actually use, holding it up wouldn't be that much of a problem.

>The only character in the show who fights like a Medieval European knight actually would is The Hound. Maybe Bronn, discounting him throwing blades and shit.
They re not even close to realistic fighting, they just swing at each other like idiots with swords that seem to weight 12 pounds.
Most retarded thing, nobody seems to keep his helmet on, never mind just the most important piece of armor you got.
You have to give Rory McCann credit though, he knows how to split wood, the sept scene where you see him working is genuine.

>if realism was the prime motivator for medieval fantasy series and movies, people would actually think it was boring.
Why would it be boring? It would look less retarded and most people can't tell the difference anyway.

It's a fantasy show, these constant threads about how historically accurate it is are quite exceptionally autistic.

There reasoning is simple, they have no fucking idea how to resolve these character's, and likewise how to continue their relevence to the plot, so they just kill them because 'this is a show where no character is safe XD'
Same reason they killed Stannis. Same reason they killed the fucking Martels, and the same reason they killed off half the fucking cast of the show at the end of last season.
D&D are amongst some of the worst writers I have ever seen. It's really that simple.

>Arya, who spent most of her time in Bravos undergoing elite assassin training.
Fixed it for you. I know some people have a hard time accepting a girl as a remorseless professional killer but fantasy works have been exploring this trope for decades now, and even Tolkien himself touched on it.

I think it's plausible that someone like Brienne who is a stand up and fight bad ass would find herself out-footworked by someone who goes right for the weak spot. If Arya was a "real" assassin she'd be a great deal less interesting, just someone who could pass as a normal shlub while mostly working in poisons and other untraceable means of killing people. At a certain point realism has to take a back seat to narrative interest.

It doesn't help with the story that their "big fight" is some of the worst stage fighting ever and makes absolutely no sense. Like it is not credible at all.

Well to be fair, most of Arya's hits would have done nothing to Brienne. That sword was made for stabbing and not for cutting and all those hits were cuts. Even your clothes could have stopped the damage.

The only thing weird to me is that Brienne went all out with her swings, aiming for the head multiple times. A single connection would have killed or severaly injured a fully grown man, how could she have known she became a Faceless assassin that was ready for a no holds barred sparring session?

>muh realism

19th century?

So they used warhammers in the 19th century?

Looks like a ceremonial weapon to me.

>stage fighting
This is true, but you just get a better effect with dynamic camera angles and presentation rather than just filming two specialized stuntmen showing off their technical finesse. I can see how people who do a lot of training with those weapons could find reasons to nitpick but as someone with a "normies' eye view" of the weapon work, all that scene made me do is realize that Arya is no longer a punk ass little shit, but someone you wouldn't trifle with. I recognize in the abstract that it's not particularly realistic, but it is consistent with the overall logic of the show and it drives home a character's development over the course of the show, and those are reasons enough for me to suspend disbelief

when I first saw him in the episode I thought he was Christian Bale for a couple of seconds

It's like half the size in the non-shopped version

Yes, Indians used traditional weapons in the 1800's, courtesy of not being industrialized yet.
Also, Indian weapons often have weird designs and intricate decorations.

Like they are working at this for 7 years now, right? 2 lessons a week and they could fight real hardcore.

>weird designs and intricate decorations.

Honestly, I love a good fantastic story, but movie props that look like larp shit turn me off, also, well researched historic details and settings help a lot to get along with getting lost in it.
Reason why I prefer Neal Stephenson to George R. R. Martin, I seriously hope they bring the Baroque cycle on screen and don't fuck it up with the details.

>nyone still watching this shit really needs to reevaluate their priorities.

I just want closure :(

>Is this a historically accurate reproduction of a 15th century dragon?

>anyone still watching this shit really needs to reevaluate their priorities.

That's a wyvern.

Even people unversed in fencing can tell that this scene is retarded. It's like watching Mike Tyson getting his ass kicked by Mark Zuckerberg.

Is there any evidence for a mythological distinction? Only seems to be a specificity with regards to British heraldry.

I hate when they're confused. Dragons have four legs and two wings, wyverns have two legs and two wings

Does Zuckerberg have magic superpowers obtained from training for years with a guild of superassassins?

How else do you think facebook beat out it's competitors?

There's literally nothing wrong with this.

There is when

A) Tolkien actually put notes about this in his own stuff, albeit unpublished stuff.

B) GRRM does no better with his own work.

Tolkien can at least claim that this isn't the type of story he wanted to write, and GRRM can claim that it's not criticism, it's explanation as to how Tolkien wanted to write mythology, and GRRM is writing machiavellian fantasy political intrigue. But it comes off as just incredibly ham-fisted, when we really have very little idea as to things like economic and tax policy in ASOIF, despite it supposedly focusing on these kinds of things.

>vaguely religious if you misinterpret him
>represents order and self-discipline
>serious
>middle aged white male

Too much stuff that prevents him from being fashionable.

No.

In spanish or at least aragonese heraldry the wyvern is specifically a dragon.

There's an awful lot of stuff about the intricacies of ruling, including some tax policies. Also tax policy was only one of things he mentioned in the list neither he or anyone else said that was the main focus.

The problem with your statement is that swords are really thin in comparison to the solid chunk of steal that a warhammer has. A solid chunk of steel is very heavy.

that that warhammer has*. Real warhammers were basically carpenter's hammers on reinforced poles.

>There's an awful lot of stuff about the intricacies of ruling, including some tax policies
There's a lot of vagueness about how Tywin is good with money, Robert is bad with it (but not much on the details of either), and of course what Daenerys gets up to. But we've never seen a tarrif policy, or a public works policy, or an explanation as to why there are so few bridges in the Riverlands.

>Also tax policy was only one of things he mentioned in the list neither he or anyone else said that was the main focus.
All of the other stuff is quite literally criticism/questioning of Tolkien to which you can see the answers to in HoME, volume 12, The Peoples of Middle-Earth, Sauron Defeated. We do in fact know how Aragorn taxed people (essentially a land tax), that he did not keep a standing army outside of a very small force of retainers supplemented by feudal levies in times of crises, relied upon said feudal nobility, most prominently Imrahil and Faramir to get stuff done, and did not embark on a genocidal campaign, but he did vigorously enforce the borders.

Hmm, you're right, I did the math, and I overlooked just how thick that hammer is. Here's my reasoning: Joe Dempsie, who plays Gendry, is 5'10. If he's proportioned like a normal human, that head is around 1/7.5-1/8 of his overall height.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_proportions

So we're talking a Gendry head of about 9-10 inches. So we've got a hammer that's about 30 inches long, and 20 from top to bottom. Thickness is not particularly uniform, but say the head is 1 human head and the spike is about half a human head? We're talking an overall volume of 6,000 cubic inches tops, and possibly less. That works out to about 0.098 cubic meters, with 7,850 kg to a cubic meter, means it weighs 769.3 kilograms. Even accounting for the spike that shaves off a good portion, you're still not keeping it under a thousand pounds. I stand corrected.

So are you meant to smash people with the flat/elephant side and flip it around if you need to scythe someone with the bladed side?

One of the best of the last two seasons.

Tywin isn't especially good with money, he just has a lot of it and it is explained why, his gold mine. It is explained why Robert is so bad with money, he keeps holding expensive tourneys and left the finances in the care of Littlefinger who kept appeasing Robert by borrowing more and was also in the business of enriching himself.

When Tyrion is Hand of the King he puts a tax on prostitution.