How in the hell did Alexander the Great just steamroll over everyone in Greece and Asia...

How in the hell did Alexander the Great just steamroll over everyone in Greece and Asia? Was the Sarissa Phalanx just that OP?

>everyone in Asia

>Persia
I can tell you how the Persian empire fell. It was because the newly crowned Darius was seen as illegitimate because the previous king was poisoned. The local satraps didn't trust the new king.

>India
Alexander the Great's army was shaken up by a minor Indian king. Alexander the Great's army equaled the Indian king Porus too if not, outright outnumber Porus's army. The Greater Nanda Empire would have been just east of Porus' kingdom and they would have dwarfed Porus's army by factor of 10.

Although Porus lost the battle, he won the war. He prevented Alexander from taking over his empire, and instead gained lots of new land from him.

Professional standing armies that utilize combined arms are the exception and not the norm in the ancient world. Alexander can thank his father for having the best heavy infantry and cavalry in the world.

He was also blessed with some of the best commanders of his day. You cannot simply be the only "great man" in a civilization, he had great generals, great sub commanders, great strategists, great politicans back in Macedon.

Eumes and the Silver Shields
Antipater as the head minister back in Macedon proper
Lysimachus, Cassander, Ptolemy...
Even his body guards would end up with some reknown after his death

Alexander was Micheal Jordan but he also had the Scottie Pippins and Dennis Rodmen to make him really shine.

He had the world all stars who were all fiercely loyal to him.

Darius is an illegtimate heir as the previous user mentioned but I would still say he was a capable man in Persia. But he was working with far worst conditions and committed to battles that were to the Macedonian strength.

i am confuse
is that guy slav or not?

Posting this until I get a satifactory quantity of (You)s

@3251338
thats so bad that its horrible, feel bad you should

No, he was greek.

Part of it was Darius' only competent military commander, Memnon, died of illness early in the war. If he had lived and continued his naval campaign against Greece, Alexander would have been at the very least delayed.

Source: "The Anabasis of Alexander" by Arrian, book 1 or 2, I can't remember which

newfag go awya

>ywn live in the timeline where Alexander and Memnon spar for years and years like Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi

Due to the decentralized nature of the Persian empire, it's strength and weakness, many of the satrapies in anatolia (and elsewhere) simply flipped allegiance after the Persians incurred defeat.

I'd say history would've gone different if Memnon of Rhodes hadn't suddenly died. Read up on his plans; it would've forced Alexander to prematurely end his campaign, 100%. Not to take away from his achievement, of course.

The Persian empire was already plagued with internal struggles and rebellions all around empire like Egypt, Media, Syria, and Phoenicia.

Didn't he have to ford a river just to fight him though?

Persia was impious and in need of punishment and humiliation so God sent his avatar to smite them

daily reminder that aleksandar veliki aka "aca helenizam" was šumadinac

This, really good summary. People underestimate just how incredible Alexander's general staff was because of his own brilliance. There's a reason why it took a massive civil war (the War of the Diadochi) to determine who amongst the elite would inherit his legacy and empire.

Those names might not mean so much but to iterate just what an advantage this was.

Imagine being a genius and your army had as generals Subetai, Rommel, Patton, Lee, Napoleon. Your body guards include Roland, Abu Bakr, Mushashi and your chief minister was Bismarck

For more historical consistency

Imagine starting the civil war (doesnt matter which side) and you had

-Grant as the overall commander
-Lee and Sherman in charge of regional theatres
-McClellen in charge of logistics and organization of the military
-Longstreet, Cleburn, Meade and Forest as sub commanders

t. indian and paki revisionists

This is from Alexander's own propagandists. Porus lost the battle but became a vassal king with even greater power. And when Alexander died its not like it ever mattered.

Literally anyone can overcome Fersians
Alexander is an overrated meme

In addition to what said, you also should realize that most of Alexander's conquests were the Persian Empire, and the Greek world was just considerably ahead of Persia in military matters. About 40 years prior, a Greek mercenary force of somewhere between 1/4-1/5th of Alexander's group, with much less in the way of combined arms, general tactics, and without a state apparatus to back them, trampled over the best and brightest of Persia at the battle of Cunaxa, and then when they weren't paid (they were a mercenary force), trampled all over the empire trying to get their way back home, facing no central organized resistance, only local "militia" resistance.

Despite their wealth and manpower, Persia was a military backwater compared to what the Greeks had. I'm not entirely sure why.

Can I fire Rommel and replace him with Kesselring?

I just wanted to pop in and say Darius did the best he could with what he had at the time. He still managed to put up a fight time after time when lesser men would have given up. Even Alexander respected him.

When you google memnon of Rhodes the picture is one of the RTW Persian portraits lmfao the disrespect is unbelievable

>Alexander the Great's army was shaken up by a minor Indian king. Alexander the Great's army equaled the Indian king Porus too if not, outright outnumber Porus's army. The Greater Nanda Empire would have been just east of Porus' kingdom and they would have dwarfed Porus's army by factor of 10.

That's because Alexander died too early. He marched his soldiers from Greece to India in ancietn times, they didn't want to fight no more. If he had a little more time, he would have gotten back, assembled a Greco-Persian army and invaded India again, this time wiping the POO IN LOOS out

>its not like it ever mattered

Yeah. He got killed by one of Alexander's generals later.

Here is a (You) if you explain this to me

>Although Porus lost the battle, he won the war. He prevented Alexander from taking over his empire, and instead gained lots of new land from him.

No, he didn't. If you think that Porus staying in charge was exceptonal or uncommon you know jack shit. He lost the war and faced the consequence of defeat: bowing to the victor.

>Philip II is Kamina, the father figure and SPOILAZ ostensible protagonist of teh series SPOILAZ
>Alexander is Simon, the succesor to Kamina in the series, builds upon his legacy
>Minerva/Athens is just a female protagonist/assistant substitute
>KANGZ defected to Macedon's side
>The elf guy I forgot the name of is initally an antagonists, ultimately aids the protagonists in battling the final menace
>SPOILERS The anime is about humans emerging from subterraneean shelters and ascending various levels of powers and piloting increasingly large mechs to defeat an incomprehensibly stronger foe that has been suppressing them for the majority of their history
>The first mecha in the anime is the height of a manlet, the last one is SPOILERS the size of the universe
>the macedonian seal is just a replacement for the gleam of light that flashes at the tip of Kamina's finger, also overlaps with the mecha that is the vehicle for attainment used in the story

The parallels become pretty striking

This was a good post, and the Chicago Bulls analogy nailed it.

If you go through each major battle, you'll find some fantastic maneuvers that are rightfully regarded as game changing especially when he was usually outnumbered. Alexander made quick, impulsive changes in the midst of battle that were eccentric and unorthodox, and of course there is no way any of it would have been possible without well disciplined soldiers. They weren't ever dazzlingly brilliant so to speak, but they were definitely great solutions to various Gordian knot, and opposing armies could not keep up.

Persians feared the Greek warrior