Prior to the Civil Rights movement, would you *ever* see black and white Americans getting along or living together...

Prior to the Civil Rights movement, would you *ever* see black and white Americans getting along or living together? I'd imagine it was quite uncommon, but was it 100% completely unheard of?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon's_Rebellion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My grandmother never had a problem with them and she came from rural pennsylvania.

The short answer is "yes." White people did not typically freak out and go into kill mode just because a black person entered within 100 yards of them, at least, not until Jim Crow laws were introduced specifically to justify such behavior. "A People's History of the United States" goes out of its way to listen several examples of southern blacks and whites organizing for higher wages together, including whites who'd fought in the confederate army.

Yes, it depended a lot on where you lived though

In these situations, would blacks and whites ever have been okay with living next to or being romantically involved with each other?

>living together
Certainly not, there was a thing called "segregation". Even nowadays black and white tend to live in separate neighborhoods, imagine back then.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon's_Rebellion

>Bacon's Rebellion was an armed rebellion in 1676 by Virginia settlers led by Nathaniel Bacon against the rule of Governor William Berkeley.
>A thousand Virginians of all classes and races rose up in arms against Berkeley, attacking Indians, chasing Berkeley from Jamestown, Virginia, and ultimately torching the capital.
>The alliance between indentured servants and Africans (most enslaved until death or freed), united by their bond-servitude, disturbed the ruling class, who responded by hardening the racial caste of slavery in an attempt to divide the two races from subsequent united uprisings with the passage of the Virginia Slave Codes of 1705.

Hmmm

Simple answer? Yes.

However it depended a lot on where you lived, the culture and societal norms of said area, and the challenge or even that had the two groups work together.

Any examples of such locations/regions?

>"A People's History of the United States"
communist jew garbage

We're having a nice thread, legitimate criticism only please.

>yes
Are you guys crazy? Why do you think there was a Civil Rights Movement seriously? It was basically forbidden for blacks and whites to live together.

>Why do you think there was a Civil Rights Movement seriously?
USSR subversion

Well for starters, it seems like racial issues in the North, South and West all differed from each other.

Don't respond and they'll go away.

Not your safe space faggot

The U.S.S.R. simply took advantage of an existing problem the U.S. created for itself.

Simple analysis for simple minded people!

Of course. It was uncommon but in many places there was a "live and let live" policy.

My great-great-grandfather was Danish and married my black great-great grandmother.

user, please tell me where the efforts of the civil rights movement were concentrated? Whats that? IN THE SOUTH? Hmm, its almost like segregation and such differed from place to place.......

Where did they live, and when was this?

And peaceful discussion is gone.

Mississippi at the turn of the 20th century. Lexington county.

Did they ever get shit for their relationship?

Ignore the shitposts. If anything they're just bumping a thread which usually dies with 1 or 2 replies.

1. Jim Crow laws weren't applied at the federal level. They varied by state and locality.

2. It's impossible to completely stop all interaction between blacks and whites as long as they are permitted to live in the same towns, and they usually were.

3. When slavery was finally outlawed by the 13th Amendment, all the abolitionist groups didn't just dissolve into non-existence. Many of them simply re-missioned themselves with the new objective of helping the newly freed blacks integrate into society.

White and black artists would often collaborate. Just look at the Rat Pack.
>From his youth, Sinatra displayed sympathy for African Americans and worked both publicly and privately all his life to help them win equal rights. He blamed racial prejudice on the parents of children.[29] In 1947 Sinatra remarked: "We've got a hell of a way to go in this racial situation. As long as most white men think of a Negro as a Negro first and a man second, we're in trouble. I don't know why we can't grow up. It took us long enough to get past the stage where we were calling all Italians "wops" and "dagos", but if we don't stop this "nigger" thing, we just won't be around much longer."

>its almost like segregation and such differed from place to place...
Yeah, blacks and whites lived together in perfect harmony in NY, Boston, etc...

That was a different form of segregation. Did Northern cities have the same problems with disenfranchisement?

>Why do you think there was a Civil Rights Movement seriously?

The deep south sperging out again and again to the point of becoming a genuine national issue

Of course the north wasn't holding hands, but nobody was around bombing black children there huh

>as long as they are permitted to live in the same towns
You call that living together? How many blacks and whites living in the same building? In the same neighborhood? How many interracial families?

>in the same building
Same building? Get out you apartment dwelling urban nigger.

Irrelevant. Blacks own country treated them like inferior beings. How does your own country treat you like that? Even the popular black men had to enter through "colored people" doors. How the hell does the people which shares your own country treat you as something inferior/animal?

It's not really their country, although it's not their fault that they ended up here.

OP's question was "would you *ever* see black and white Americans getting along or living together?", the answer is obviously NO. It doesn't mean they were fighting all day long, but they clearly didn't live together and they had few interactions, far much less than nowadays, meaning next to zero.

Who is saying otherwise?

Their ethnic group was more-or-less created here.

Of course. But considering her family was well-off and relatively well connected (for blacks in the south) at the time, they were largely left alone. Relationships between white men and black women were accepted as "boys will be boys". The issue with my ancestor is that he put a ring on it.

White woman + Black man? They'd both have to have had a death wish.

A few exceptions have already been pointed out ITT. That was what I was curious about.

You are right. It's amerindian land.

Go back to europe.

To whom does America belong to? The English? The Germans? Protestants? Catholics? If ownership of the country is strictly white, do we allow American Hispanics and other non-European Caucasians in?

Are you baiting /pol/, or are ypu retards from tumbler?

Literally everything is true. Americans are animals.

I'm from NJ and I have old family photos circa ~1900 of my family taking a group photo with their black friend.

The Europeans.

So what? That goes beyond the question in the OP.

I've seen photos like that before, which is what inspired me to make this thread.

Look at that fine negro gentleman with his hat and his neatly fitted clothes. That guy's 100% man, 200% worker.
Would befriend with all my whiteness.

Northern cities never had on-the-books Jim Crow laws, but --especially after the Great Migration-- blacks tended to wind up in their own de facto segregated neighborhoods (Harlem, South Side etc.) because most whites didn't want said blacks integrating and competing for housing and jobs. The Chicago Race Riots, for example, happened due to tension regarding black workers taking factory jobs.

In short, northern blacks were often better off than their southern counterparts, but they were tolerated in-so-much that they stayed out of white society as much as possible.

What were black/white relations like in Western states?

The amerindians and eskimos