Why didn't the Pirates create their own nation? They were powerful enough no...

Why didn't the Pirates create their own nation? They were powerful enough no? Considering that they managed to rob almost anyone they wanted.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They did with great success, they end up calling it the United Kingdom.

They feared the bureaucratic warrior

fpbp

But they literally did.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Pirates

why bother when you can just do fun pirate stuff early on then just get handed a governorship to comfortably settle down instead.

Organized criminals are usually too competitive with each other to achieve this.

lol, of course they did it.

Britain, Morocco and Turkey.

yfw pirates were leftists all this time

fascinating

>what is Taiwan

The Barbary states literally were a federation of pirates.

I think they did, but it not as dramatic as you think. They usually were just maritime colonists in the Caribbean, such as the famous Buccaneers of Tortuga, who were basically farmers who sold the smoked hides of cows to passing ships, and were essentially a French proto colony which ended up being folded into the colony of Saint-Domingue (the modern country of Haiti).

There was a Pirate nation for a couple of centuries in the Ottoman Empire.
Brothers Oruç and Hızır controlled North Africa. After his brother's death at sea, Hızır grew in power. Eventually being crowned by Suleiman the Magnificent from the Ottoman empire. The sultan gave the name Hayreddin to Hızır, meaning best of Islam. He was known as the king of Algeria and reigned with his Barbary pirates. In one year he even enslaved a quarter million European slaves and sold them to Mughals and Ottomans. Hayreddin is without a doubt the most successful pirate king that has ever lived. He even had an alliance with the French, in which the Habsburg empire envied their alliance and also wanted to come together with the Barbary state.
I know a shit ton about the Barbary states, ask me stuff

Where can I learn more about Caribbean pirates from the early 18th century? I'm writing about it and I want to know everything about it

Read General History of Pyrates
Play AC Black Flag

Wait shit I love that game

So it covers basically everything about Caribbean Pirates? Time for a replay

>all those qt white girls taken from their quaint fishing villages to be sold into the harems of fat sheikhs in distant lands
hot

Yeah
I mean the storyline is obviously ahistorical but the settings are real as are all the pirates in the game, except for Kenway

>Nation

Didn't you meant state?

>tfw you'll never be a red bearded Ottoman Barbary with his own harem

Why even live?

>Why didn't the Pirates create their own nation?
Barbarossa did

Reminder women didn't shave their cunts back then and they propably also stunk like shit.

That was just your family.

Shaving sucks anyway.

There's literally nothing wrong with women having hairy cunts m8. You must be gay.

Only added pleasure user

Came here to post this

>these fuckers when playing ETW
>annoying fucking cunts all the time
>either somehow ally them or fight a huge war with the ottomans to get rid of them

To everyone who enjoys pirates and historical fiction: watch the show Black Flag. You'll thank me later.

Because they're retarded thugs. Nobody would recognize a nation of criminals. See: Transnistria

Thank you

>tfw when I am an Anglo and secretly push the eternal Anglo meme on the 4chins because I love being the seafaring, immoral, oppressive, pantomime villain of history and the bad guy of the world.
I thank God every day that I was born an English Anglo.

>random criminals who survive by attacking lightly armed or undefended merchants
>powerful

Know what ya mean brother.

Pretty cool, imagine if they started taking control of Cuba

I think OP means both.

Was it possible for pirates to begin to consider themselves a nation? This would be compatible with them remaining without a state of their own, they would exist as a cosmopolitan class in other states, probably disliked.

Was it possible for some pirates to rule a state? Yes. Easily. I think it might have happened a few times.

The interesting question, then, is could Pirates of the Caribbean form a nation-state? that lasts until the modern age? Would it happen as a result of a pirate ruling a city-state, and the ruling class becoming pirates, the nucleus of a pirate nation? Would it happen as a result of a pirate nation forming, and trying consciously to find a place to settle, somewhere around the Caribbean region? Both very interesting, and it could be possible for both to happen in one scenario.

Maybe if Europe gets another big dose of the plague, the Caribbean is left to it's own devices for longer, and the age of pirates lasts long enough that 'sea-faring, raiding, trading, mercenary Europeans/mongrels' exist as an independent class.

Where did he hide one piece?

somalia

I feel the same, as an Anglo-American.

>people saying UK and I don't get it

This and no anglo damage control trying to claim "they like it" will change it

>in which the Habsburg empire envied their alliance and also wanted to come together with the Barbary state

Absolute non-sense. Hayreddin allied France precisely because the Habsburgs were his enemies.

t. Anglo

actually I'm Uzbekistani and I really don't get it

Actual uzbek or uzbek-american?

real one hombre

>ja sam chisti uzbekistanac i nje nekavi amerikanac

Success breeds jealousy.

>ja sam chisti uzbekistanac i nje nekavi amerikanac
This is Slavic, not Turkish tho.

Just asking, no need to prove it I trust you man. Basically as a tl;dr Brits were the default corsair nation since they were a relatively weak and secondary power but were enemies/rivals with the two main atlantic powers: Spain and France. The dutch could arguably also be called the default corsait nation but they're irrelevant today so they're not allowed to have too much stereotypes beyond whores and pot (Amsterdam).

it's almost like Uzbekistan was under Soviet control isn't it

Didn't the Dutch cuck Portugal out of all of their colonies in Asia?

'The Pirate Wars' Peter Earle

'Villains of All Nations: Atlantic Pirates in the Golden Age' Marcus Rediker

'Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Merchant Seamen, Pirates and the Anglo-American Maritime World, 1700-1750' Marcus Rediker

'The Many-Headed Hydra: Sailors, Slaves, Commoners, and the Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic' Peter Linebaugh

You can't make us feel salty about something we find hilarious. Krauts tried to make us feel war guilt so we doubled down and started Harris posting

>Too lazy to conquer a Mesoamerican empire for their gold
>Just mug Spanish cargo ships instead
>Hundreds of years later we're still fucking with them, but this time on the Balaerics while pinging on ecstasy.

God save the Queen.

The question is why would they want to? A nation means government and government means law. Pirates are thieves and smugglers where every man is only interested in his own well-being. The closest thing organized criminals ever get to government is a set of agreed-upon rules where they agree to work together for mutual benefit and don't fuck each other over. The 18th century Caribbean pirate code is exactly the same in principal to the 20th century American mafia code.