So lemme get this straight: the Greeks came up with the logic spark, before then people were "animals"...

So lemme get this straight: the Greeks came up with the logic spark, before then people were "animals", or as I prefer saying "educated animals", it was only thanks to the European Greeks that philosophy, science truth, logos seeking religions (Christianity) were born

My question is: "why?"

Why Greece?

Ok superior brain, ok superior IQ, but just that? I find it hard to beleive

From animals to human beings just like that?

Before the Greeks people didn't fucking thing at all and it leaves me amazed, they were like ants even the "civilized" ones (don't believe when they say civilized because it comes from poleis which is a Greek word)

But why?

The soul was born European Greeks?

I don't get it but other people didn't have it that's for sure because true realism, philosophy and sound logic comes from the Greeks

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_of_Miletus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No sweetie it was thanks to a Phoenician

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_of_Miletus

>Thales of Miletus (/ˈθeJliːz/; Greek: Θαλῆς (ὁ Μῑλήσιος), Thalēs; c. 624 – c. 546 BC) was a pre-Socratic Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer from Miletus in Asia Minor (present-day Milet in Turkey). He was one of the Seven Sages of Greece. Many, most notably Aristotle, regard him as the first philosopher in the Greek tradition,[1][2] and he is otherwise historically recognized as the first individual in Western civilization known to have entertained and engaged in scientific philosophy.[3][4]

>The current historical consensus is that Thales was born in the city of Miletus around the mid 620s BC from Phoenician parents[6], although some historians say he was a Phoenician who emigrated to Miletus with his parents

Interesting question.

>Ok superior brain, ok superior IQ

Probably not just this. There's no reason to suggest why the IQ of Ancient Greeks at the time would be superior to that of the Egyptians, Achaemenids, or even just Greek city states that did not produce significant works of philosophy.

I would suggest that one reason why philosophy flourished in Greece was that the Greek religion was not incredibly dogmatic. When we talk of "Greek Philosophy", what we are really talking about is intellectuals rejecting the status quo explanation of reality and morality. I'm aware that Socrates was executed for doing this, but maybe worse things would happen to him in other states at the time for "corrupting the youth" and mocking the Gods.

The Greek culture was also not agrarian and lived in huge cosmopolitan population centres, e.g. Athens in the 5th century is estimated to have had a population of somewhere between 300-400 thousand people livingi n it, including slaves. On top of that the Greeks, being sea-farers, were in constant contact with a great deal many more cultures, from the Celts in Narbonsis, to the steppe tribesman in the Bosporon Kingdom. These peoples as well as the civilized Empires in the Middle East and North Africa.

Like Lord Clarke said, the greatest strides made for civilization occur during periods of internationalism.

>Greeks came up with the logic spark, before then people were "animals", or as I prefer saying "educated animals", it was only thanks to the European Greeks that philosophy, science truth, logos seeking religions (Christianity) were born
No.
So much is wrong with this.

The Greeks original thing was Philosophy and the idea of the Academy (schools).

Greeks copied Arabic Arithmetic after Alexander did his thing and built on it
creating geometry, number theory and basic calculus.

Christianity comes from Judaism and that comes from Zoroastrianism.
That had nothing to do with the Greeks. The Greeks were hardcore Pagan but Philosophy would more accurately be what they believed in.

>

>Greeks copied Arabic Arithmetic after Alexander did his thing

>Greeks copied Arabic Arithmetic after Alexander did his thing and built on it

>That meme
>In the current year

>science truth, logos seeking religions (Christianity)
Lol what? Christianity cam from Jews and supplanted itself onto the Greeks. If anything Christianity murdered Neo-Platoism (which is kinda of the 'logos seeking religions) and wore its skin.

I would guess that perhaps Socrates/Plato sparked the inquisitiveness of the Greeks?

creating geometry, number theory and basic calculus.
No... no. No. "Arabs" at this time were illiterate desert nomads living exclusively on the Arabian peninsula. The only urbanised areas were in Oman and Yemen, who wouldn't have reason to be in serious contact with the Greeks.

The Greeks had made their own strides in mathematics, e.g. with Pythagoras and his contemporaries as well as predecessors. There's no doubt the Greeks learnt a great deal about mathematics from other cultures, e.g. the Egyptians, but definitely not the Arabs.

Arabic Mathematics came much later, in the Early Middle Ages.

>Christianity comes from Judaism and that comes from Zoroastrianism.
This isn't entirely accurate either. The roots of Zoroastrianism come from the Bronze Ages but Zoroaster was a man living in the 6th century BC. Many aspects of Judaism come from Mesopotamian religion & folklore, such as the Genesis which is basically Sumerian and Babylonian mythology.

>Posts cartoon reaction images
>Expects his opinion to be taken seriously

The meme lives on.

I really despise these weebs. Go back to to your pedophile board .

My bad, I got my time periods mixed up after having a long discussion about the Arab conquests.

You are correct

>Comes to Taiwanese Knitting Blog
>Surprised to see Cantonese Cartoons
>In the current year

>Leaves cartoon-jailbait containment centre
>On a & humanities discussion board
>Starts posting hand-drawn cancer cells
>Gets offended when his opinion is

D I S C A R D E D

Thales dies 546 BC
Alexander born 356 BC

also
>anime avatar

neck yourself.. Just embarrassing..

>Avatars
>On Veeky Forums

I hope you know every single reply to you is going to be smug anime faces now

Is the "logos" of christianity separate from the logos that's part of the modes of persuasion like etos, patos, logos etc?

I'm pretty sure the theory that "real" consciousness only arose at a certain point in history attributes it to the Bronze Age collapse, not 5th/4th century Greeks.

Yes.
Logos in Christianity is the title "son of god" in the holy trinity.

The holy trinity is another can of worms.

Also have some anime.

Why don't MODS do their job?

Whats your problem?
They have been pretty good at cleaning up Veeky Forums.

In Greek city states, the warrior-citizens were equal partners and had to convince their fellow man to reach decisions. Aristocrats invested a lot in their children to be convincing in a public forum. Suddenly debate had become a science on it's own.

This is very different from the hierarchical societies based on authority that had existed prior to the Greek polis. In these societies you had at most a culture of flowery court language, which was more based on confirming people's social position, than reach the truth or win a debate. Of course logic was still important, but authority trumped logic.

Only when they get called out or long after a thread gets reported, they don't actively police the site like mods do on other boards. There is no reason that flagrant /pol/ posting shouldn't be shut down within 5 replies and the OP banned, instead we get quite literal Stormfront threads that go on for dozens if not hundred of replies that only get deleted after a few hours and then a new thread crops up immediately.

>they don't actively police the site
Good. Mods are not suppose to respond unless someone reports something unless its shit like CP.

>There is no reason that flagrant /pol/ posting shouldn't be shut down within 5 replies and the OP banned
There is no reason you can't just report threads you don't like and wait for someone to clean it up. The site auto-hides it for you.
Fuck off to reddit if the shit is not getting cleaned up fast enough for you. They do it for free.

>Nigger bashing circlejerk filled with pseudoscience and cherrypicked images
>Veeky Forums discussion
Hmm...

There were others that came before the Greeks, including the Egyptians and the Indians. Greek philosophy is not very different from Buddhism.

But what happened in Greece for a few centuries was amazing. What was the population of the Helenic world when they created Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Chryssipus, etc. In some senses, they are still peerless and the high point of Western thought.

This. Mods are not thought police, they are here to enforce the rules, not to be little tyrants who decided what is OK and what is not. If someone wants thought police, they need to go to Neogaf.
Veeky Forums has the best moderation in the internet.

nobody is forcing you to join the discussion.
You can hide it. You can report it. You don't have to get triggered by it.
Actually where the fuck do you think you are niggerfaggot?
Literally fuck off to reddit.

I can do whatever I want. So I decided to make this thread and I want to ban all those threads. Nothing to discuss there but just faggots posting bait and engaging in politics and "white" "genocide" bullcrap that doesn't even have anythign to do with the 25 years rule.

Mods should delete those bait threads and ban all pol posters.

You would be better off on neogaf.

It seems you are the one who knows about those sites, I suggest you to go to back to .

But I'm OK with the way Veeky Forums is run. You are the one who wants a different kind of forum, where there is a thought police.

>Goes into Greek thread
>Derails by complaining about mods
>Gets told to fuck off
>Tells others to go back to for also not hating mods
Mods please.

>derails
I didn't start this.
So you agree with the rules?

Good way to end this conversation.

The mods are pretty horrible on this board desu