Has there ever historically been a pope to cause as much asshurt and confusion about his beliefs and statements both...

Has there ever historically been a pope to cause as much asshurt and confusion about his beliefs and statements both within and without the church?

Other urls found in this thread:

cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/10/11/new-belgian-cardinal-poised-key-papal-ally-europe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Urban II
>Borgias

Don't let the media pit you against your fellow man for airspace and viewer bucks. He is a fine Pope and is making the adjustments too the church that should have happened 10 years ago.

>making the adjustments too the church that should have happened 10 years ago
Because the Church should change what it considers to be the eternal truth in order to pander to atheistic NYT readers.

(I would also like to note that the Borgia Pope was actually not someone who changed the orthodoxy)

Pretty much the entire Avignon Papacy.

I mean they already crossed that line too many times to use the "eternal truth" excuse not to.

Not really.

Also, the Church is supposed to think in terms of centuries.

There are very few things the church actually considers eternal truth, well alot of things actually.
but they hardly effect the way the church is administered and how it applies cannon law. most of that can actually be changed on a mere whim

It could be argued knowing something is wrong and ignoring it is far worse than disagreeing with whether something is wrong

Nope. You don't change 2,000 years of Church teachings in order to appease atheists.

We are not discussing the morality of the Pope, but his effect on doctrine.

>Nope. You don't change 2,000 years of Church teachings in order to appease atheists.

You can. if you don't go allow people to reconsider things and reevaluate Gods will, then you end up with something like Wahhabi Islam.

Jesus was quite explicit about a few things. You don't exactly disagree with your God.

(Or should Catholics believe that Jesus was in error and that the "prophet Foucault" was right?)

>Nope. You don't change 2,000 years of Church teachings in order to appease atheists.

most canon laws are not 2000 years old. by church teachings you do not understand the difference between what the church considers divine teachings and adminstartive laws.

For instance having gay sex will always be considered a sin, but how and when the church administers to practicing homosexuals is largely at the discretion of pope's and bishops. You might disagree with the choices they make but they have every authority to make them in that regard

Well seeing as how in real history the church has changed completely, I'd say you are factually incorrect regardless of what your dogma teaches you to repeat.

They are trying to change on "what is sin".

They change on administrative issues. Not on the teachings of Jesus.

>They are trying to change on "what is sin".

That is highly disputed. I personalty see nothing that suggests this

is pedophilia a 2000 year old church tradition?

I don't know about the "2000 years old" part, but it pretty much became a tradition after the Church started accepting homosexuals into its ranks.

cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/10/11/new-belgian-cardinal-poised-key-papal-ally-europe/

Certainly alarming for conservatives, but he didnt SAY anything outright heretical.

>after
You wot m8?

>including “their way of living their sexuality.”

Granted he is taking it right up to the edge, by adding the "their way of living" part heat least gives himself deniability.

Of course they claim has never been that the Vatican is free of heretics, just they they are not actively changing infallible teachings

Their way of living their sexuality is sodomy. He basically said he respects sinful acts. And there are rumors that some people want to change the sexual ethics.

Good.

You are not the one I'm speaking with, right?

>if you don't go allow people to reconsider things and reevaluate Gods will, then you end up with something like Wahhabi Islam

You act like the concept of fatwa doesn't exist in Wahhabi Islam.

>Greeks
Pretty much

Wew lad