Arms & Armour thread

Arms & Armour thread

Other urls found in this thread:

metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/22973?pos=3&rpp=20&pg=1&ao=on&ft=37.144.2
historicenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_133
youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

does anyone know anything about this suit of armor? I'm pretty new to learning about armor and it's god damn beautiful

My uneducated guess is that it's a replica of an early-16th century armor. I also think it's incomplete. There should be large pauldrons covering the gaps between the armor and the torso.

HECK

>Armor for Field and Tilt
>Date: ca. 1550–75
>Culture: Italian
>Medium: –Steel

>This garniture is unusually large. It contains pieces for use in battle and for the tilt in both the Italian and German fashions. The tilt was a tournament fought on horseback between two opponents armed with lances and separated by a lengthwise barrier.

>The armor as mounted is equipped with a helmet and vambraces (arm defenses) for the tournament. The buffe (chin defense), second breastplate (acc. no. 27.159.2), and manifer (reinforced left gauntlet) (27.159.6) would have been added to make the armor ready for exchange pieces for different forms of the tournament. For the German tilt, the trellised targe (shield) (27.159.7), small elbow defense (27.159.5), and small stomach defense (27.159.3) were added. For the Italian tilt, these elements were replaced by the form-fitting reinforce covering the left half of the torso and left shoulder (mezzo sovrapetto) (27.159.2) and the larger elbow defense (soprabacciale) (27.159.4).

>The garniture also includes two complete sets of saddle steels (27.159.13, .14) (only one is exhibited) and two vamplates (conical hand defenses affixed to the lance) (27.159.8, .9). The decoration consisting of etched bands containing trophies of arms and musical instruments was a popular design found in many variations in Italy throughout the second half of the sixteenth century.

metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/22973?pos=3&rpp=20&pg=1&ao=on&ft=37.144.2

Thanks, homie

I honestly feel like the plain, minimally or unadorned cuirass is the most beautiful armour ever designed. All the artisan armours with gold and engravings just seem too busy for me, especially considering what they are.

o shit im sorry

what are the disadvantages of plated mail?

Isn't it more easy to call it a Lombardian armour for instance, because Italy wasn't a thing back then. A part of current Italy was HRE and others were sovereign states.

hard to repair,prone to cracking

It seems much simpler to wear a coat of plates on top of a mail shirt, although it may not be as flashy looking.

what the hell kind of musket is that

Bump!

Step aside, plebs

What is this kind of sword called?
and where would this kind of armour come from? I know it's just art but which eastern countries would've used this type.

Helmet reminds me of kipchaks

>What is this kind of sword called?
Looks like a cross between a hungarian/polish szabla and a grosse messer.
I know there were big two handed szablas so perhaps that's it, but I can't find a pic to compare.
Alternatively it might just not be histotically accurate.

Fuck, I wish I could own a real set of armor. They're too expensive though, I ordered this cheap replica on ebay instead last week for $625. Not the best looking replica but compared to the other replicas it's the only one that looks like it's based on something real.

This is the real armor it's based on for comparison. Made for Duke Sigismund of Tyrol in 1480. Must've cost the equivalent of millions back then with all that gold and fine detail.

Sword is oversized Scimitar
Armor is typical middle east-central Asian mix

I found the sword it's just a slightly curved Grosse Messer.

Armor from the Mughal period in India.

they are really ugly imo user

Drawing of the armor worn by Charles V of Spain and >H>R>E

is the horse wearing Charles II's old armor?

How much would a suit of full plate cost in today's terms? Half plate? Munitions plate for foot soldiers?

They generally cost as much as a house, so around $50k or so depending on the quality. It's like buying a new car if you live in Africa where the average pay is less than $1 a day. Even today they're still quite expensive, this guy sells the best handmade armor for $20k and more.

historicenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=101_133

It's hard to compare with today's wages, but I can give you some examples.
1grzywna = 48 groszy
In 1460 wage of puszkarz(artisan who made firearms, cannons etc.) in Toruń was 2 grzywny weekly.
From Poznań 1472-1478 tax records:
Cow costed 40 groszy
sheep 4 grosze
pickaxe 7,5 groszy
---------------------
Swords - cheapest one 15 groszy, most expensive one 240 grosze, with average price of about 30
warhammer 12 groszy
lances 12-24 groszy
hakownica(firearm) 60 groszy
-------------------------
kettle hat - 60 groszy
close helmet - 4 grzywny
mail - 2 to 7 grzywny
cuirass - 180 groszy
full armour - depending on quality from 10 to 52 grzywien
-----------
Good horses were quite expensive, even up to 3000 groszy.
Overall price of fully equipping lancer with good quality eqipment was from 35 to 50 grzywien, With really fancy things, up to 200.

>Cow costed 40 groszy
>sheep 4 grosze
It always surprises me how much more expensive cows are than other farm animals through the ages. Even now sheeps and pigs rate closer to fucking chicken than they do to cows price wise.

got any Zweihänders?

Cows are big bastards, they require lots of land to graze on and lots of labor to maintain since they're really stupid.

Are there any examples of historically accurate asymmetrical armors? I'm thinking like maybe the left side was more heavily armored for defense and the right more lightly armored for maneuverability. I'd also like to see armors that were clearly designed to be used offensively, maybe some spikes or something?

Italian armour is very asymmetric, with most armour going on the left, as you say.

That's actually the armor of Archuke Maximilian I. you posted. Your replica is based on pic related. Both suits were originally made for Maximilian I. but the one with the gilded strips on the breastplate was later gifted to Sigismund of Tyrol.

My man

No problem. I like seeing more asian stuff in these threads

oversized kriegsmesser, pic related.

Close.

My favourite armor personally is that of Prince Henry of Scotland. The Celtic knots and thistles are pretty unique decorations.

higher resolution

Nice pijamas

Aside from applying lacquer, how did they prevent steel from rusting?

Heavy stitched cotton armor vests with a thick cloth suit that was sometimes completely covered with birds feathers. The cotton armor would stop an arrow or spear, as well as mitigate blunt force trauma and stop lateral sword slashes from reaching the chest entirely. The thick body suits would be useful for general field use, especially those that were covered with densely packed feathers.

The helmets they wore were often carved as one piece out of durable wood from nearby tropical regions, and typically included protection for the neck, jaw, and cranium.

So yeah, nice pajamas.

Ancient Chinese armor is the coolest.

Doesn't stop a bullet though

I just love, when someone describes a thing from certain culture as something amazing and unique. And here we have, weaboos using Japanese words to show how special those things are
>Samurais used KABUTO to protect head
>implying having a helmet is something amazing
>they used TAMAHAGANE to craft swords!
>implying iron sand is only in Japan

>Meso-American thick cloth armour was so amazing, that it would protect from spears and arrows!
It's fucking gambeson for fucks sake. Guess who also used it. EVERYFUCKINGONE.
youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso
>Helmets were from durable wood!
That's new. But you know what, I have suspicion, that overall metal helmets are better than wooden helmets.

> posts video game fantasy armor

Go home Skaal

simple maintenance. if you notice rust, you rub it with an abrasive, they probably used sand or something to get it off, then you protect it from further corrosion with oil.

matchlock

>I know there were big two handed szablas
there weren't

what if the wearer was hit on the crotch?

wew lad

Wasn't supposed to.

I never implied that their armor was unique. It protected them from the weapons that were used in the region, thats all that really mattered.

>tfw Veeky Forumstards sperg out over nothing

That's a cool design. Is it useful?

I'm making a shitty comic about a female knight. Was thinking of basing it off this, since it's contemporary to knights, and may have been what they would have thought a woman would have worn into battle.
Would Veeky Forums sperg at it?
Yeah, gives you more room to see, without making your face a huge target

Were suits of armor always buffed to a stainless steel shine? It always seems so...off, to see some Roman Legionnaire roleplayer wearing the brightest, shiniest plates possible.

I don't know anything about armor. Would something like this be more of a ceremonial use? Or would it be worn in battle? Also how did people see through those little slits?

Don't know about Romans but apparently Knights painted theirs and Victorians had them scrubbed to get that shining armour look

If your a rich guy who might be about to die you may as well wear your fancy armor. Ceremonial only didn't become a thing until guns made most of this stuff obsolete.

I've heard this, but I suspect it may be fake News. I've never seen a painted suit of armor in any medieval or post medieval representation. Plus, even if the British went about scrubbing them, there'd be SOME unwashed examples left somewhere.
It may have been a limited practice, but from what I can see, people mainly wore Tabards over their armor, not paint.
As for it always being polished, I mean, it probably got dirty at some point.

It's amazing how far ahead the classical Chinese were in terms of warfighting technology compared to Europe