Are we heading towards a malthusian catastrophe unprecedented in human history?

Are we heading towards a malthusian catastrophe unprecedented in human history?

Yeah I think so. There's no way this shit is sustainable. I don't care how many videos the UN commissions trying to claim that overpopulation is a myth.

Nature will take care of it.

No, I don't believe so. Population growth has been slowing recently and also remember that more people means more brains who find ways to increase efficiency. Borlaug is a good example of this

in a world where the strong are held back and the weak are pampered, lesser nations can breed like rabbits without consequence because huurrr cant be racist.

>Population growth has been slowing recently
Not in Africa.

Some of Africa's economies are the fastest-growing in the world. I'm sure they'll catch up. But remember, one of us probably uses more resources than an entire African family.

no
the instant africa starts becoming more developed is the instant birth rates will slow down in a similar fashion to most countries today. even so, these desolate areas cannot sustain such high levels of population with their limited resources, and they will naturally die out the moment we stop giving them aid. the only reason they have super high birth rates in the first place is that if they only have one child, he is guaranteed to die to something like malaria, but if you have 12 children maybe a few of them will survive

Africa's infant mortality rate has actually been plummeting and is precisely the reason places like Niger end up with 7 babies per woman.

africa has no way of moving up in the world, we hit it in the head too hard during the whole imperialism thing and they never really recovered. That, and theyre smack dab at the bottom of a system where exploitation is the name of the game. It would be like a minimum wageslave suddenly becoming CEO, a pipe dream so unlikely people write books about it, it has its own genre called "rags to riches."

Basically someone always has to be on the bottom in this system and if a couple african nations raise themselves up a little that is a net loss to the other african nations in this zero-sum game. Plus its filled with radical rebels and muslims, fucking hellhole incarnate.

>Some of Africa's economies are the fastest-growing in the world
They're not growing fast enough to compensate for the growing population.

>the instant africa starts becoming more developed is the instant birth rates will slow down in a similar fashion to most countries today
But that's false, birth rates in Africa have not been declining.

probably because africa as a whole has been a great deal more stable as of late every other modern day country has gone through to a population boom which eventually levels out

>every other modern day country has gone through to a population boom which eventually levels out
But the population booms were not comparable and the african boom is not leveling out. It's fallacious to think that because Bangladesh has reduced its fertility rate that Africa will follow suit.

Africa's total fertility rate has been declining

More people is good for economic growth, also it's better for technological progress when there is more brainpower to go around.

you think the smart ones are leaving? Trump had one point in the campaign, one. And that is that countries do not send their best, they send their excess. Youre not getting any brains in this bunch.

Why intelligent people are never racist?

Nigerian immigrants to America have one of the highest income rates out of any immigrant group
I doubt that's excess

they are, they just realize there is nothing to gain by telling the truth but plenty to gain from exploiting stupid immigrants. Bill is thinking, "look at all this cheap, disposable labor!"

Not really.

Do you really think Nigeria hitting 1 billion people will stimulate its economy?

nigerians are an exception to africans in general, because they bought into that whole "become like white people" shtick and didnt let stupid pride get in the way of improving themselves. Indians, nigerians, south koreans, japanese etc. there are exceptions, usually because they had strong work ethics before they left. Most in africa dont, and you cant really blame them.

Nigerian immigrants are the top 1% of nigerians.

>let me just pull this hyperbole outta my ass and call in a argument

>not really
????

>I can't be assed to google it.
Africa's fertility is not following downwards trends, that was the whole point of the UN 2017 report.

Most African immigrants to America are better educated than the general white population.

>Africa's fertility is not following downwards trends, that was the whole point of the UN 2017 report.
it literally has, see

These projections are false.

All of those show Africa's TFR declining
do you know how to read a graph?

you wanna just admit how much of a gigantic deflection this is or do you want to keep going?

Do you? They're barely declining. Compare them to Asia.

How is it a deflection?

They're literally declining, which is what you denied multiple times.

Its still declining and the reason asias droped a lot more is that its more developed.

Is your IQ in the low 50s? Can you not see how small the decline is?

Do you think Africa has any chance of developing?

>africa has no way of moving up in the world

Sure it does. As China continues to develop over the next couple decades we will see their service industry increase coinciding with rising wages. It will get to a point where they won't manufacture cheap trash anymore and so demand for their cheap manufactured goods will decline. There was a time when 'Made in Japan' meant the same thing as 'Made in China' today.

So, where will the cheap labor come from? South Asia, Indonesia, and Africa. China is already investing in African infrastructure to prepare for this among other reasons. Africa will get the China treatment and become a dirty, polluted, but quickly industrialized continent.

>Basically someone always has to be on the bottom in this system and if a couple african nations raise themselves up a little that is a net loss to the other african nations in this zero-sum game

This is nonsense and I'd like to know why you believe it to be true. Africa is rich with resources, precious metals, and cheap labor. It's just a matter of the rest of the world demanding those things.

Screencap this post and make a thread in 50 years if I'm wrong.

>ITT: Retards completely ignoring mortality rates.

>Is your IQ in the low 50s? Can you not see how small the decline is?
What matters is the slope of the line you actual retard

They will never catch up
Niggers are fettered to failure due to flawed genetics

No, what matters is the steepness of the slope

One word: automation.

And that steepness is increasing

Not really

>source: my ass

This is basic calculus, they're concave down

I just want to mention that the American Midwest is running out of groundwater and another dust-bowl is expected to hit at some point. Lets hope we avoid 'grapes of wrath' shit.

Thank goodness I don't live in the midwest, it will become a desert.

The west africa one is concave up you retard.

the others are concave down you moron

Barely concave down, and one is concave up... not good prospects...

>that one /pol/tard who can't read simple graphics

>barely concave down
you can't tell that from the graph, you'd need the numerical data behind it
anyway your goalpost shifting is hilarious
>africa's tfr isn't increasing
>w-well it's not decreasing very much
>i-it's only barely concave down

Manual labor can still be cheaper than automated factories.

Your goalshifting is even more hilarious.
>Africa's TFR will decline despite no proof to support it!

>will decline
It already has, every graph itt has shown that

Ok real talk are you mentally retarded? Look at:Asia and Africa had similar fertility rates in the 50s. Asian fertility rates declined precipitously. Africa rates still hover at 5-6.

the multipolar world is coming bois

You don't know how to read graphs. East Africa was above 7 in the 50's, now its below 5. That's a decline, QED

Ok I'm dealing with a retard. Good to know.

>It declined from 7 to 6, therefore we can predict that it will decline to 2 like eurasia!

I never said that you patent retard. Do you know how to read even?

Real question here.
Ignoring the autism about whether or not birthrates will fall, the fact of the matter is that even low-end projections for Sub-Saharan African nations often project their populations as tripling to quadrupling by century's end. My question is; how the fuck are these countries expected to maintain adequate water supplies, when many of them;
A: Are already experiencing issues with water shortages
B: Are experiencing large-scale desertification, particularly in the Sahel and in parts of Southern Africa
C: Are expected to suffer the most from increased droughts caused by changing climactic factors
Unless super-cheap desalinization methods become viable to the degree that the poorest economies on Earth can utilize them on a scale not seen anywhere else in the world, how the actual fuck are these people supposed to weather this? Even if they survive, the potential geopolitical ramifications of that many people suffering from thirst over that wide a range of land could potentially undo all of the progress that the continent had made up until that point. Imagine hundreds of millions of people flooding south from the Sahel and north from Southern Africa into the heart of the continent, causing massive political chaos and putting huge strain on the last viable water supplies on the continent. How the fuck isn't this more widely seen as the ticking fucking time bomb that it is? Hundreds of millions of lives are potentially at stake here, and a whole continent could forego decades of progress for complete and utter ruin.

What the fuck are they expected to do?

Well, the protected minority with money and the armies will likely make sure they got water, while the poor will just water-war each other.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it will just be Africa that will suffer from rising populations but diminishing water supplies. Water is becoming more valuable than oil, and wars can and probably will be fought over it. The equator regions all over the globe are most likely super-boned.

>Are we heading towards a malthusian
No, Malthus was a right-wing meme from the 18th century trying to justify letting the poors starve in order to pay for a tax cut.

The crux of his argument was that population increases quadratically while useable farmland only increases linearly. In other words, more people have more babies, but there is only so much land to turn into farms, so eventually the number of humans will outstrip food production and lead to a population crash. This makes two faulty assumptions:

Quadratic population growth doesn't last forever, but peters out once a country reaches developed status. The reason farmers have tons of children is because more hands around the farm means more profit, so farmers marry young and don't stop breeding until they've had 8, or 10 children. When a country is developed more children = more mouths to feed, so the poors have less of them, and the average family has 2.4 children. It doesn't matter which country you look at, this is the basic pattern repeating itself everywhere from The West to Japan. Eventually Africa will reach developed status, and when that happens global population decline will be a bigger problem than runaway growth

Linear farm growth assumes that the efficiency of food production will always remain the same, but that's simply not true. Improving agricultural techniques allow for vastly more food to be squeezed out of an acre of land for far greater sustainability. World food production is vastly over-capacity: farms produce way more food than what demand can support, and if it weren't for price floors most of these food production facilities would go bankrupt from the price of food falling below profitability. Through farm subsidies governments essentially pay for the excess farming capacity to sit idle, in the event that they need to rapidly ramp up food production due to an emergency. And we've only begun to scratch the surface on genetically modified crops and hydroponic farms.

>What the fuck are they expected to do?
the same thing that humans did the last time climate change pushed them out of the poorest regions of the globe.

>Eventually Africa will reach developed status
That's very optimistic

Epic meme XDD