Is living in a traditional/ancient style house based?

Is living in a traditional/ancient style house based?

Or is it just stupid and not functional for today's lifestyle..?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nCKkHqlx9dE
catalog.neet.tv/stats.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Both.

Pleasant and impractical.

Pretty sure if people could live like that, they would. Don't know about you, but in my country anything bigger than a one bedroom apartment sells for over half a million. I foresee logistical problems.

Half a million's barely anything though.

Depends on your definition of "traditional".
I sure wouldn't like to live without a chimney.

"Based" on what?

newfag pls

Something like a roman domus would be too cold in my climate. If the climate were right, though, i could see it working.

Any other ancient buildings that would be fit for climate would be shit like longhouses, which are really impractical.

How is a longhouse impractical? I'm not understanding this.

well, it would depend on how modernized you make it.

Without using modern materials (like carpet instead of straw, heaters instead of a hearth, etc), a longhouse is basically a filthy barn-like fire hazard.

"based" is a 9gag/reddit/12year-word old for "cool"

>Is living in a traditional/ancient style house based?
that's a pretty stupid question without defining from what timeframe on you consider something as traditional or what ancient civilization you're referring to.

>that pic
>people talking about roman domus
well if you only look at rich-as-fuck-people's houses, then it would probably pretty pleasant.

>Using the word traditional and ancient interchangeable
You just think it means "old", don't you?

I've lived in a traditional (reconstruction) house for three months.
The biggest issues I had were:

>insects
>life limited by daily light (some of the time this meant very few hours fit for reading, because clouds)
>no instant hot water
>no instant heating
>dust and whatever you call wood ashes getting in the air in english
>no noise insulation
>toilet outside the main building
>have to pour water on yourself to bathe manually
>fits of boredom
>no refrigeration, even in the cold room food got bad very fast

This is it from memory.
It was a large and fancy house, but specifically build without electricity.
Overall I spent a lot of time sleeping.

So is anything you don't keep clean you fucking dumbass

>half a million barely anything

Dollars? I mean, I'm from eastern europe so that's a ridiculous amount of money for me, but surely even for americans half a million bucks isn't "barely anything", right?

Half a million American dollars is a lot of money, he's either rich or trolling

Chinese siheyuan are bossboss though. It's pretty much a villa designed to be able to fit in a city block. So yes that would be comfy.

Shame about having to go outside to walk to the bathroom though.

Or he is from the more costly parts of CA. Just saying.

It gets rather hot in the summer and rather cold in the winter. AC does not work well in that lay out.

Most ancient pleb houses are hardly different than modern ones in floor plan and shit. The only real difference is materials and implants.
Villas were different. They had specific social standards to conform to which would be inefficient and purposeless nowadays, but still no reason to think they'd be non-functional.
Take a domus for example: once you put glass panes to close off the open air hallways, how exactly is it anything other than a big, weirdly arranged apartment?

>Most ancient pleb houses are hardly different than modern ones in floor plan and shit. The only real difference is materials and implants.

Built during Ottoman Empire days.
First floor - warehouse, animals during storm, kitchen.
Second floor - bedroom, dining room, balcony.
Not visible - the outside staircase to get to the second floor.
Some distance away from the house - the toilet, the bread oven.

Hardly how most modern everymen live.

Here's the staircase, very typical for these old dead village houses.

More visible division between the ground floor (kitchen, warehouse, animals) made of rocks, since its near the moist ground, and the mud built living space, for insulation, safely away from the ground.

>Hardly how most modern everymen live.
On the other hand we have roman insulae tho: those are pretty much modern apartment building services aside.
Perhaps I should rephrase: ancient houses were often also farms, which is extremely uncommon nowadays. For houses not meant to host farming activity however, the difference is pretty minimal outside of materials and services.

The only difference I can think of, other than comforts and size, is that in roman times these had no private kitchen/toilet.
You rented a bed, chair, table, some luggage space. Maybe there was communal kitchen/toilet, maybe you had to walk out to visit public city facilities.

>in roman times these had no private kitchen/toilet
Considering the reason is pretty much only the lack of stoves and water/sewage (kinda hard to have a kitchen or a bathroom without those), I'd say that kind of issue ought to be filed under "services", which I had mentioned.

True, I didn't consider them services, since I was thinking in terms of rooms I have in my apartment.

AC is bad for your health anyways, I don't live in a traditional house and I don't have that nor I want it.

A house in norway, a CHEAP one, costs 7 million crowns.
But that is also because they dont build a lot of apartments and everyone is jacking up the prices.

Communal bathrooms and kitchens are a very common setup in Beijing and other developing world cities.

Waith I thought insulae were made of wood and that's why there were so much fires. This looks like stone or brick at least.

>Beijing and other developing world cities
>Beijing
>developing city
>China
>developing country

25 million people, and top 10 in the world city in terms of money.

>Norway

Opinion discarded, of course (thing) is ridiculously expensive in fucking Scandinavia.

The ones that have survived for us to look at are stone and brick.
I imagine most were wood, but for obvious reason they aren't here for us to example.

Its the typical historian illusion of only the best stuff surviving, and people thus having to remind themselves of all the garbage that didn't make the two thousand year journey to meet the camera.

The shittiest, oldest ones were made of wood, but by the early empire Rome had very strict building standards regarding both height and materials employed in building them, specifically to avoid fires. You wouldn't have seen a wooden insula in Rome after Nero's time.

Have you ever been there? There are still open sewers in some areas. Sanitation is atrocious. Millions of people are incredibly poor and live in tenements, a dozen people to a room. I'm sorry that Veeky Forums memes taught you that money is all that matters for a nation, but it's more about QOL factors.

More modern implementations of the same idea have had wooden frames around them.
I would be very surprised if there weren't wooden balconies at least.

>top 10 in the world city in terms of money
GDP maybe, but then again with 25mln people it means fuckall. Per capita they're around 33k intl$, which by OECD regions ranking would be exactly average.

How did you manage to get such a house?

A reconstructed house from which culture?

Byzantine/Roman villa type, rented it when recovering from injury with family, and to clear my head of stress.

You would fucking hate living in a traditional house once the novelty wore off.

Without climate control, insulation or proper ventilation you would find the interior stifling.

No proper kitchen just a glorified fireplace, exterior outhouse instead of a bathroom, no showers, no entertainment. You have to pump water from a well in order to have something to drink. The floor would be dirt with a bunch of hay for a floor and would be infested with fleas and bugs. All of the little conveniences we take for granted would be gone, even trivial things would be a major hassle.

And to have a house that is aesthetic like OP's pic would be the home of an extremely wealthy individual, either an aristocrat or high ranking government official. Everyone else would be living in a dilapidated shack with no amenities.

You'd much rather have a modern house with modern amenities that has the aesthetic inspired by a traditional home.

>Scandinavia
No. Just fucking Norway. It sucks

lol all these guys saying you have to be rich to live in a house like that but in my country most old houses are like that and you can get them at a relatively low cost in nice parts of the city

Tbh, that system of house wouldn't be that hard to produce. You would start off with the square design and then run the heating/cooling systems/water/electricity along the floor. From there you st up the hookup in each house. The problem is it would be a bit drafty I feel in winter. You could have a bedroom, a utility room, and a kitchen/living area in the three separate buildings. Have a universal remote control for the ac system.

Mostly due to building codes being shit so you have to do quite a bit of renovation to get it up and running again. For most its a question of why bother when you can just buy a shitbox for 200,000.

Depends on which type of traditional style house.

I really like the Japanese/Chinese style house where your house is basically walled off and inside it, there's some natural beauty like open spaces, small pond for fish/gardening, trees, etc For the richer families, this would be a huge space for them. Nearly a block size(american street block).

It gives a homey feel to the house.

Pics related.

I think "Style" is the key word here. You can have any style you want and still have modern convinces.

Not dollars, no. Swedish crowns. Half a mil SEK probs couldn't even buy a one bedroom apartment in some shithole somewhere.

then stop importing a million brown fucks and your housing prices would stabilize. Right now the rich fucks that own the land are excited for the amount of new property-seeking tenants.

>You wouldn't have seen a wooden insula in Rome after Nero's time.

Behold the future

Kek, I didn't actually mean that as a joke. Nero actually had very strict regulations written into law regarding insulae building standards: maximum height (5 floors), mandatory use of brick and stone as buildinh material, no shared perimetral walls, mandatory porticoes and service hallways furnished with firefighting equipment, etc.
Of course as it often happens, most regulations were disregarded by builders outside of the richest/most inspected quarters, especially height (Tertullian writes about the insula Felicles, 7 floors, facing right in the fucking Campus Martius), but the building materials were the least disregarded one. It's just too obvious an infraction I suppose.

I like this too, its actually quite sturdy despite being weak looking. If you compare this to a teepee tent, its miles better.

Set it up in an hour or so, live in it for months at a time.

Also consider the possibility of having more than one.

>Behold the future
If they also have some sort of decent BWA connection and an actual shower I'm fucking sold.

Running water would be one of those amenities that end up looking like an ostentatious relic of the past. A well could fulfill most other purposes. Maybe being able to heat some bath water in a container some way.

What's up with the leaves(?)?

Maybe they're therapeutic or "complemental".

If anyone in here is even considering living a hut with an open hearth or something like it, then I have to advise that the smoke is very very bad for your lungs in the long-term.

I am friends with an archeologist who made field-experiments living in viking huts and found that the smoke emissions were rather harmful

After her study was published, she was contacted by another archeologist who had made live-in experiments over the course of several years in viking huts, who had contracted aggressive lung cancer.

Go old-school, by all means, but make sure your heat source is a modern fire-stove, and not open fire or anything resembling that.

It's logical. Chimneys only became widespread quite recently. People just sat in the smoke.

I can imagine it being pretty comfy if it gets modern amenities like running water and electricity.

Then there's this video where he makes a chimney out of mud.
youtu.be/nCKkHqlx9dE

It's an old /sp/ meme you goddamn newfaggot

for a pleasant scent

>he says 11 hours later

I just saw this thread

It would have been practical and pleasant homes for the time. Trial and error over hundreds of years would have taught techniques like good airflow and high ceilings to keep the house cool in summers and ventilation for the fires in winter. Many modern houses lack these features and many others, increasing our reliance on electrical devices for temperature control.

I think the best balance would be an old courtyard layout, but with modern lifestyle and convenience in mind.

I would so live in that. lol

Still though

Too bad it is a crime to hunt, stand, or sleep anywhere without the proper paperwork. Free is an illusion.

Still what? It's a slow board.

He didn't think they were interchangeable, if he did he wouldn't have used both

Still I mean you replied to a 12 hour old post to correct some newfag who couldn't care less.
I don't want to derail this thread though so I'll leave it at that.

That's normal on slow boards. This isn't /b/ or /pol/.

>It's a slow board
Is it really? It's not /v/ by any means, but I'd say it's above Veeky Forums average.
Do we even have data about this shit? I feel like we ought to.

There's an active thread right now going on since August 6th.

The last archived thread took just 12h to die. Let's not act like we're /3/ or something.

Slow boards shouldn't have many archived threads.

yeah, i live in a (remodeled) courtyard house, the heating/power bills are really cheap when compared to modern houses, like the apartment i lived in during uni days
the biggest problems are parking space and safety, we've had quite a few break ins in the last few years

>Slow boards shouldn't have many archived threads
Well we must be a fast one then, since a quick count shows 448 archived threads.

>448 archived threads
Since 8/20 I might add. Not bad for a slow board, yeah?

catalog.neet.tv/stats.html

That's not slow. That's average. Veeky Forums speed is roughly same as Veeky Forums, /k/. Its faster than actual slow boards like /jp/

Ok, so /pol/, /v/, Veeky Forums and /tv/ are obscenely fast, but /his looks pretty average. Same speed as /k/ and /adv/ is pretty good.

It's slower than the faggot board, that's pretty slow.

They are herbs and spices. He is making himself into delicious soup before he feeds himself to the tigers.

only real answer

My grandparent's house in Shandong is basically a 四合院 apartment building hybrid. It has a square courtyard in the front where the door leading to the street, the kitchen, a restroom, spare bedroom, and a storage room are located on three of the sides. The last side is the side of an apartment building where the rest of the house is (several more bedrooms, additional kitchen/dinning area, living room, porch). They live on the first floor and there are three more stories where other families live.

I think it's pretty cool as it basically merges new and old architecture. I'm not sure how common this sort of thing is though.

You really can't, there are safety regulations that you must follow, so even if you buy an ancient house, chances are it's been refitted to be up to modern standards.

They're kind of comfy in some ways, but they have issues, like, for example, it is a pain in the ass for wi-fi to reach the whole house they're big and have thick brick walls that wireless signals hate.

bump.

I do prefer the private courtyard to the front and back yards Americans have. Though several of these in a row mean your neighbors are closer.
Unpractical for single family dwelling, but I think single family housing is retarded anyways. Why do we have a whole kitchen for 2.2 people? (Apartments are even worse, lol a whole fridge, bathroom, stove, oven for one person) Makes much more sense to live with a generational family, where you have grand parents and aunts and uncles around, cook bigger meals, can stock a bigger lauder, plus makes more sense, easier to save food scraps, such as bones for stock making and fruit bits for smoothies. It's just on general much easier to cook for more people on the regular.
Only need one set of brooms/cleaning supplies, etc.
Plus you can pool money and hire temp staff if you have a smaller family, to help clean and cook, or have family do it.
You also have nice room to entertain,
The design also allows the rooms to be away from each other while allowing fast gatherings for. meals and whatever.
The two story walled ones with a basement are best. You only need to ac/heat cool the living quarters area at night, not whole house
Our culture won't allow it though, because people look at people living at home as losers and parents don't treat thier grown kids as adults around here. So you are pretty much forced culturally to move to some apartment cuck shed to be treated as adult.

I always loved the idea of a garden
god forbid a balcony hanging over top of it
makes my dick hard.

>using wifi
>thick walls on the inside

Just set up a mobile tower in the middle of the courtyard for wifi and reinforce the outerwalls only against harshwinds. Keep the innerwalls as being insulated only (thin, but insulated so as to prevent heat loss in winter but not as reinfforced with steel to prevent storms like the outer walls).

>using wifi

I live with my family, can't set up the modem next to my computer. I used to run a long cable but it broke and I couldn't be fucked to replace it.

>Just set up a mobile tower in the middle of the courtyard for wifi and reinforce the outerwalls only against harshwinds. Keep the innerwalls as being insulated only.

Well...Aside from the fact that would be a huge amount of work and money, seeing as old houses are built of stone, brick and other substantial materials that can't be just teared down with your bare hands...If you want the novelty of living on an old house, you also want to keep as much of it as original as possible I would imagine.

Also the shape of the house matters a lot, my old school for example was essentially a big open corridor, with the rooms to the sides, not a square like most other 16th century houses.

it's the best way to live. of course you can't do it in a big city, but who wants to live there, right?

You can do a old model house with new designs and it will work just fine.
>Corridor perpendicular to the street
>Functions as a car garage and where you can place your cans
>Can buzz packages in through the first gate so they are secure
>Central garden can have multiple purpose
>Can grill/grow plants/Do yoga outside etc
>Houses outer walls can be reinforced with steel frame

Is that Age of Empires ?

Doesnt the goverment pay the immigrants' rent/ownage of the land? Thats how it happens here for haitians

look at this beauty, only reds could ruin this infrastructure