Lets talk about Iran-Iraq war Veeky Forums, it is literally an amalgamation of war methods

Lets talk about Iran-Iraq war Veeky Forums, it is literally an amalgamation of war methods.
>trench warfare
>chems
>suicide bombers
>human waves
>children riding bikes throwing hand grenades

Bonus question, Why Persian diaspora in this board, who are very active in almost every persia related thread, generally ignore one of the biggest events in persian history?

They ignore it because they lost. America couldn't afford to let Tehran control the ports at Basra at the time, so we didn't let them win, even though we made a killing (haha) selling arms to both sides

Neither side won.

We generally discuss Iran-related stuff when others post a thread on a certain subject. I've never made a thread about Iran.

I think for all that foreign support Iraq recieved, they did pretty well, it was absurd that they tried to take karbala etc though, with all that backing iraq had.

I think diaspora is silent about this because it solidify the islamic regime more than anything else.

>Iran lost

Every single superpower with one of the strongest armies at the time was pushed back by a newly found disorganized government.

>XYZ gives Iraq two rusty trucks
>THIS MEANS WE BEAT XYZ !!!
Fuck off Reza

When did I say beat cockroach?

>Longest war to occur in the 20th century.

All because both Hussayn and Khomeini were insecure about their position in the Middle East.

>But
Iran remembers the war to this day, whenever the UN objects to the use of chemical weapons or misc. humanitarian crises Iran rages bigtime.

>All because both Hussayn and Khomeini were insecure about their position in the Middle East.
Lol no.

Hussein was a secular ruler who happened to be Sunni, ruling over a large Shia population near the border with Iran. Iran just had a large Shia Islamic revolution with messages spread around the world. If you're some poor Shia that's lived in a swamp for generations and you hear about Shia finally making a comeback, what are you gonna do?

Hussein acted to prevent the spread of Shia Islamism, while Khomeini was encouraging its expansion.

looks lıke ıran and shıas won

Also they were autistic about the shaat al arab,iraq was bullied by iran on having concession when iran was still strong
Saddam thought that iran was easy prey after the isl*mic revolution and it was a chance to expand their borders

>looks lıke US retardedely helped Iran become a regional power overthrowing Saddam and inciting Shia-Sunni mutual revanchism
Fix'd for you.

Don't listen to /sg/tards, Iran was largely deserving of invasion especially after the post-revolution aggression they displayed. If only the US hadn't taken out Saddam then the Arab world would be at peace, sure is too bad that shi'ite niggers got full reigns and got half the country taken over by isis.

> If only the US hadn't taken out Saddam then the Arab world would be at peace

kek

>Being this butthurt about /sg/

>defensive war
>resists
>regime gets massive legitimacy boost

One could even argue that the Islamic Republic won, if not Iran in general.

>Bonus question
Why do you make blanket statements about them?

Start shit get hit, Sadam.

>They ignore it because they lost.
But all standpoints Iran won. Iraq's attempts to annex Iranian lands failed, Iraq's attempt to maintaining a foothold in Iranian lands and the Iraqi invasion was ultimately repulsed.
>Why Persian diaspora in this board, who are very active in almost every persia related thread, generally ignore one of the biggest events in persian history?
I would say they don't because we've had plenty of Iran-Iraq War threads since this board started under Nagasaki-san. Secondly as important as the Iran-Iraq War is, I wouldn't say its one of the "most important events" in Persian history, certainly to modern Iranians it is but in overall impact? I doubt it.

One side came out with global support, a huge military, and oil revenue out the ass. The situation cemented the revolutionary govt. sure, but they wouldn't become the regional player they are now without the gulf wars and the American withdrawal from Iraq

Saddam getting his forces humilitated after eight years of war with Iran and failing his goals, the drain on the Iraqi military and it not recovering fully before committing three years later to go after Kuwait is entirely on Iraq's shoulders for why Iran went from a major power to a full on regional power but lets not kid ourselves here. Iran was fast on transforming and projecting its clout and political muscle following the war as often as possible.

And it doesn't hurt that Bahrain, Lebanon, and Syria are receptive to Iran as a result even before the war happened.

also Saddam has a problem with his huge military he recruited after the war
that's one of the reason he conquered Kuwait

Your saying he invaded Kuwait because his military was big so he had to invade them?

Keep the soldiers occupied fighting a war and they're less likely to organize a coup

Saddam literally took over a party (the ba'aths) and purged it of it's original members just so he can be the head of Iraq.

The guy was insane.

Wouldn't having too many soldiers/too large of a military and putting them in constant unwinnable wars also lead to a potential coup?

kinda
he needed to justify having such a huge army and also try to defer his massive debts from the Iran-Iraq war
the casus for invading Kuwait (that theyre drilling oil off Iraq) was shaky but believable enough for the populace

>the casus for invading Kuwait (that theyre drilling oil off Iraq) was shaky
But they really were.

I don't think he tought any of the wars he started were unwinnable.

well do you have to really invade a sovereign country for that?
the Kuwaiti were willing to pay off 70 billion

Yes. They were traitors to the Arab cause and sell-outs to the West. Inshallah Saddam's forces would have invaded and created a secular nationalist republic, had 32 countries not intervened.