(((((((((modernism)))))))))

>(((((((((modernism)))))))))
>(((((((((post-modernism)))))))))

Why did humanity go so wrong? When will all these disgusting buildings be replaced?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KAExa9P7hME
bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/09/07/the-dream-behind-boston-forbidding-government-service-center/zmTu4rsTtcfTqQKjy8sbtO/story.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dont let Veeky Forums corrupt the way you think

It doesn't take Veeky Forums to know that postmodernism is cancer

Death of spirituality and it's replacement with materialism

Horseshoe theory in action?

post 1 example of modern architecture that is not at least 2 (two) of the following

1: blocky
2: just a plain geometric shape that you could find in a middle school textbook that we are expected to consider "creative" because you did it in a building
3: monolithic
4: fanciful
5: labored
6: harboring large featureless voids of concrete/brick
7: polygonic
8: inaccessible
9: kitschy
10: made to look like a machine despite there being no necessity for it to be that way

Your subjective list of vague characteristics you don't like is obviously made to exclude any yucky modern buildings that you feel anybody could respond to you with.

Of course, the lust is so exhaustive you could find at least two characteristics for nearly any western architectural movement.

t. kid who just found jordan peterson and thinks they're an expert on post-modernism, which he understand at all and only uses as a synonym for anything that he doesn't like, but actually doesn't care about in reality and only pretends to hate it to look cool to a few anonymous basement dwellers on a Kazakh Fingerpainting Imageboard

Haha its okay buddy the fact remains that anything modern or postmodern is retarded and ugly, and everything classical and romantic is beautiful and uplifting.

Frank Gehry stuff?

how the fuck do you even enter the damn thing

You mean specifically relating to architecture? I agree, ugly af.

But I think both the modernist and post-modernist movements did a lot for art, and philosophy as a whole. To label it all under "muh jewish marxist anarcho destroying western values" conspiracy is pretty dumb OP when there was a lot of things, especially in the modernist movements that you would probably agree with. (Futurism for one).

I'm partial to traditionalism myself, but not the Judeeo-Christian pseudo-traditionalism of you faggots. You're a modernist and you don't even know it.

Lol, stay butthurt.
Never forget how much money you wasted paying to be brainwashed like a subhuman.

>Eifell's tower is retarded and ugly

Yet it became the symbol of Paris.

That means jack shit.

FUCK THE EIFFEL TOWER AND REAL TRADITIONALIST FRENCHMEN SPITS AT IT!

I usually hate postmodernist buildings but that's a hella nice one.

A door like any other building

that's up to you to interpret

Brutalism =/= post modernism

what's wrong, not enough statues of naked babies?

This one is good.

idk why but Slovakia has some intriguing pomo arch

this is their national archives (if you don't know, it looks like a movable book stack)

Modernist architecture was inevitable as industrial society became dominant. Modernism's focus on boxes, cold conformity, and large spaces was in service of the new machines that had been built and grafted inside existing structures. Things like private automobiles, semi trucks, computers, air conditioning, and so forth all needed new spaces and new systems old buildings couldn't have. So, a new style was created. Pic very much related.

The only problem is that industrial society is inherently dynamic which means architects and planners have to be careful not to destroy old capacity. This is what (unfortunately) occurred with NY Penn Station, which was completely torn down and replaced with Pan Am's new headquarters (complete with a helicopter shuttle directly to their terminal at JFK, obviously). However by 2005 the helicopter service was long dead due to safety issues, Pan Am was bankrupt, meanwhile Amtrak found itself with an undersized station (essentially a converted parking garage) as ridership soared after the Acela was built. This is what is presently driving Cuomo's NY Empire Station Complex across the street at the old post office, which (hopefully) will one day connect into a new set of Hudson Tubes.

Which is to say, there's nothing wrong with Modernism itself it's just that planners are often too blinded by the present to make serious decisions on what they need to keep. In the case of Boston Government Center specifically, the fuckhuge "forum" (parking lot) didn't need to exist and the neighborhood that once stood there should have remained (especially as now it would have been razed and rebuilt with five star hotels and hipster apartments). But this is also a thing industrial society is weary of.

wrong image

I assure you, none of the characteristics are ambiguous enough to be stretched over a genuinely good piece of architecture.

>dude, make it wavy and wonky! lmao
looks like something out of a theme park

I get the impression he is onto something yet never uses it, like an artist saying "look, I can't paint with red!"

Why did you pick such a flattering angle? Doesn't help your argument that my dick gets hard looking at this image.

Ah, the alt-right echo
((()))
It symbolizes Jews and vaginas, the two things /pol/acks hate the most.

Real traditionnalists frenchmen are a bunch or monarchist cucks

No, he's simply stating that Capitalism and Marxism have similar (and incorrect) worldviews with different ways to enact them. He doesn't use that idea to advocate for some sort of centrist stance.

/pol/ isn't /r9k/

The fourteen words are "We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children, because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth.". In this sense /pol/ is actually hardcore feminist, which makes more sense when one considers them to be on the same level of Woodrow Wilson (who gave women the right to vote but couldn't stand being in the same room with blacks). Most have probably fucked someone in their lives, even if it was their sister.

>I assure you, none of the characteristics are ambiguous enough to be stretched over a genuinely good piece of architecture.
Baroque: kitsch, fanciful, labored
Arts & Crafts: fanciful, labored
Neoclassical: Monolithic, blocky
Gothic revival: labored, fanciful
etc

>I don't like X
Cool, but this is Veeky Forums not /opinions/ so you should go bitch somewhere else.

I bet you think good architecture is some disgusting, american, dense amalgamation of neoclassicism (which is already disgusting, uninspired piles of shit) and gothic.

Some modernist styles can be quite pretty if left alone by (((corrupting forces))).

Materialism

youtube.com/watch?v=KAExa9P7hME

Many examples of these styles are guilty as charged, though not all. Sometimes a baroque building avoids being overseasoned, sometimes neoclassical monoliths are aesthetically proportioned not gauche monstrosities, when they avoid these mistakes they are beautiful. I walked into the oval room of the French national library when it reopened and it felt like that point in a dream where you realize something's not normal and you have to ask yourself if this is real or not. I have never experienced anything remotely like this with modern architecture.

The thing is I don't want to see more of the old, anyone who attempted it today would just make it kitschy anyway. It happened, it was great and now it's done. I want to find something new that is just as inspired, I want to be part of something and think that maybe future generations will want to be here with us to see it.

Never.

I hope the west rots.

It's a combination of hatred towards Europe and her traditions with fetishization of materialism and autistic utilitarianism.
E.g.
>baroque opulence and adoration of classical styles are horrible, they represent thousands of years of patriarchal oppression + they are UNORIGINAL and GAUDY and TACKY and KITSCH (notice this word only appeared in the 19th century), we need something new for the sake of being new!
+
>we don't actually NEED architecture to be pretty, all architecture should serve function and utility, easthetics don't exist

Paris is a degenerate shithole since the (((Republic)))

Notre Dame de Paris or the Sacré Coeur as symbols of Paris are far better

"Entering" is inherently sexist, racist and misogynist form of speech.

>modernism is the jews!!!
>refusal of modernism is also the jews!!!!

What the fuck do you mean?

I want biologically inspired buildings rather than geometrically inspired ones. Not ramshackle, but shaped in ways corresponding with biology. It's both very aesthetically pleasing, and will symbolize the growing power of biotechnology.

I think the bulky and blocky steel/glass/concrete architecture is specifically designed to say "FUCK YOU, WE RULE YOU" to the masses, as a show of power that the elite circles have over the common man.

lol wtf are you even talking about?

Boli sme králi, kurva.

nigga, that is 28 words.

>Slovakia
You mean specifically Bratislava.

Boston represent! It was voted the ugliest building in the world btw. But if you think that's something just wait:
bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/09/07/the-dream-behind-boston-forbidding-government-service-center/zmTu4rsTtcfTqQKjy8sbtO/story.html

The door's on the other side. But more importantly what said

>they destroyed entire neighborhoods full of architecturally significant buildings for this monstrosity

There's literally nothing wrong with 3 4 5 and 7

Holy shit why is this shitty board so cynical? It's like people refuse to entertain different ideas so they just post some shit like this.

T jew who thinks everything beautiful is anachronistic.

Some Frank Gehry I don't like but some is nice.
The inside of the Walt Disney Concert is a very nice space as is the outside. His house is also nice.
Not a fan of the EMP, one of my least favorite of his buildings. Not sure what happened there.

Gothic architecture 2: current year boogaloo.
Abhorred today, beautiful tomorrow.

>When will all these disgusting buildings be replaced?

Hopefully never

Everything classical and romantic is disgusting trash, kill yourself

Postmodernist architecture is anti-brutalist

How do you call this kind of designs?

物語

I don't understand
I don't know of any design philosphy known as "story"

You know, a lot of those uglyblock modern/post modern buildings wouldn't be so bad if they threw in some decorative pillars or gargoyle. Which of the buildings wouldn't be vastly improved by sticking a bigass gargoyle on top of it?

Why is Neo-Futurism the best?

here comes I!

Why is everything that comes from contemporary movements so... ugly? Art, architecture, politics, economics, writing, comedy etc. It's all so fucking ugly and annoying.

t. mad &humanities deconstructorfag

That's so fucking stupid. There is nothing to get a hold of, a retarded amalgamation of rounded shapes borne out of a mind that hates beautiful things.

Please stop

looks like a gehry, an artist famous for slapping down large slabs of metal and calling it art.

If it's really big and has no right angles, it must be art right?

I actually really like most of these designs.

>it's a "you don't understand it" episode
Understand that post-modernism is shit and no amount of philosophy will make it anything but.

Every town or a city that has its old centrum intact is far more enjoyable, beautiful, engages the person walking around in it, is more down to earth and more human than some concrete, metal and glass shitpile designed from 1960s to this day. They also look so fucking out of place.

How much of a difference do aesthetically pleasing buildings make, when you factor in the fact that different people subjectively prefer different styles?

What makes Art Deco so different from other kinds of modernism? I find it so aesthetic.

It was an era of optimism in the U.S.

>lol lets make everything ugly and nihilistic because that's progress lmao fuck those old and beautiful buildings found in European city centres

The problem is, you sperg, those "old and beautiful buildings" were made in a cultural climate and era that no longer exists.

Just because you're trapped in babby's first romantic idealism, doesn't mean anyone has to listen to your shtick.

This kind of art is only possible with a lot of presence of mind, and color cohesion. Not only that but having some consistency in the boredom can do a lot to make post modern architecture look decent. Most cities don't have this kind of cohesion but simple steps can be taken to modify an existing city. Maybe one day when we are right we can have a makeover.

>because the beauty of the White Aryan woman must not perish from the earth

Did you just make that up? Can you count to 14?

I can count to 88

Ayy Lmao

London has to be the ugliest city in the west