"funner" is now a word because people mistakenly said it instead of "more fun" one too many times

>"funner" is now a word because people mistakenly said it instead of "more fun" one too many times
>"literally" is now literally a synonym of "figuratively"
>"anyways"
>"gender" and "sex" are now not synonymous because some pedophile psychologist said so

When did language die?

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcebooks.fordham.edu/source/CT-prolog-para.html
wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_Machine_in_the_Ghost#N._A_Human.27s_Guide_to_Words
youtube.com/watch?v=7ucCJ_Vn58w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sadly languages always evolve. What we're seeing is actually a really slowed down version of it however because of paper and public education.

This is why you people are ruining this website. You have no concept of subtlety.

i think you might've posted in the wrong thread buddy

It didn't, it just changed, as it always does. We don't speak like Shakespeare did, we don't speak like Chaucer did, we don't speak like whoever the fuck Beowulf did. Why is "funner" inherently worse than "more fun"? Why do we use fun instead of "amusing" or any number of synonyms in certain contexts? How do you come to terms with the fact that English is already a retarded roller coaster of French, Anglo-Saxon, Latin, Greek, with loanwords from other languages too?

If anything language is changing more slowly, largely due to what said. Better education, higher literacy rates, less isolation between different communities, etc.

Nope, I'm just here before the flood of /pol/fags argue with themselves over >"gender" and "sex" are now not synonymous because some pedophile psychologist said so, which was OP's plan from the beginning

>people say little instead of litel
>people say him instead of hym
>people say shown instead of shewen
>people say said instead of seith

funner sounds dumb and has the same amount of syllables as more fun so there's no reason to ever use it
no dummy that was just an example of deteriorating language. i sperg out about "anyways" the most.

>any way you go
>any of the ways you could go
anyway is objectively superior only teenage girls and effeminate men say anyways
i'm not talking about spelling variations

Words mean what people intend them to mean, nothing more, nothing less. There is nothing inherent to the noise "literally" that means it must mean "in actual fact" rather than "figuratively", it's just a noise humans make by flapping their gums, what it "means" is constructed between the speaker and the hearer and can be literally (as in figuratively) anything at all.

damn...

The worst crime is the misuse of "literally". The misuse of "gender" is quite handy because if someone believes I more than two genders, or is interested in gender politics or gender roles, I know to avoid them.

Read Chaucer in the original English and you'll see how fucking different it is even beyond spelling.

sourcebooks.fordham.edu/source/CT-prolog-para.html

If these sorts of changes kill language, English was never alive in the first place. I'd argue stagnant languages are far more 'dead' than evolving ones. Latin has probably changed far less than English in the last few decades in no small part because nobody fucking uses it conversationally anymore.

>. Why is "funner" inherently worse than "more fun"?
"More fun" is a ridiculous inconsistency anyways.

"Funner" not only happens to be a normal change of language, it ironically also makes much more sense systematically and is therefore, IMHO, the much better version.

These glyphs on your screen are intended to mean that you are an idiot and should go and fuck your mother and father, who are probaby twins.

no coming back from that argument

Same idiotic mouthbreather.

Tell me more about what words "mean", retard.

The point of the word literally is to indicate things that have actually happened. What is the point of the word if it can mean its antithesis?

epic

>haha dude descriptivism lmao meaning don't real stop making me feel bad about malapropiating words when speaking to my normie friends
>PRESCRIPTIVIST WORDFASCISTS BTFO!

Captcha: SAGE vicolo

Go ask "grotesque". It's not the first time a word has flipped its meaning.

What a douche.

B T F O
T
F
O

Ouch

Samefagging this hard.

Pathetic.

You could've at least samefagged in response to something witty, but is just unoriginal and boredom-inducing.

Unequivocal diction is a requisite of having a clear conversation whose messages are succesfully conveyed and comprehended by all parties involved.

If you are prole that has never bothered to broaden his views and whose most thought-provoking arguments occur on r*ddit/4bing like impresses to be, you are not going

The need for apter words increases the more sophisticated and abstract the subject matter of a conversation becomes. There is no place for autoantonyms in an argument over the nature of conscious or serious political theory

i hope you say alway instead of always too, lest you be mistaken for an effeminate

>you are not going to need an expansive vocabulary that has to suit the depth of the topic of your conversation*

I'm and I was making fun of the retard, get over your autism.

the lad doesn't understand that the s comes from an adverbial genitive not a plural, so don't be too hopeful that he's consistent

Funner is clunkier compared to other more formal and informal/slang terms.

>it happened once so it should continue to happen

How does it feel to be a dimwit?

This is my personal opinion though so it ain't much

The meaning of words is intersubjectively determined and change in language is not always bad etc. etc. but the change in meaning of "literally" muddles communication while only adding yet another intensifier, as if we hadn't enough of those already. Now if I literally mean literally what word I am supposed to use? There's kneejerk reactions to change in language but there can be justified objections to word use as well.

>Now if I literally mean literally what word I am supposed to use?

Actually. Or the constructions "in fact" or "in actual fact". Yes this is less easier than the old way, but language belongs to society and the masses always have the final say on what a word "means".

"literally" has always been a synonym for
"figuratively", you fucking retard.

Hmmmm

I'll just leave this here:
wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/The_Machine_in_the_Ghost#N._A_Human.27s_Guide_to_Words
tl;dr: words don't have inherent meaning and are only useful inasmuch as they convey an intended idea. However, you can't simply define any word any way you want because it just makes a mess of everything.

>Current year
>Using "pedophile" as an insult

Not necessarily about words changing meaning but still related to the post.
Language is abstract and fluid, as long as people can follow what you mean you are doing it right. How people phrase things is based on how they have heard things said before and how their brain presents that information when reiterating that. For example someone might say
>"He drove up the road took a left and then hit a deer, it totaled his car."
And someone else could say
>"He wrecked his car down the road from hitting a deer after taking a left"
You get the same amount of information despite hearing two different things. Language is just word association with pictures. Another example is
>"He went upside this here car path, took a nonright, and swung square into a deer, completely decimated his automotive."
This, though it sounds silly to speak like this, you know what is being implied.
My final example is
*Car and deer destroyed on left turn*
It's impersonal, it's short, but still accurate. You could also tell this info in emoji. Language is fun, don't limit it by thinking so closed mindedly.
Also Ebonics spoken by educated people>regional dialects=formal English >>>ebonics spoken by uneducated people>>>>>>>>> deep south rednecks speaking ever (I've lived here 20 years and I still have trouble understanding some of them)

>all ways
>all way

false equivalence

>lesswrong
Shouldn't you be fundraising for your technocult? Gotta give money or you get tortured by your robot devil.

Language evolves. The word "bad" used to basically mean "gay/faggot" originally.

>The worst crime is the misuse of "literally".
Literally is the one I have absolutely no problem with. It has always been used for figurative emphasis.

>black and white has same word origin, blanc

What did they mean by this?

Listen, bud.

I will try to express it plainly, literally. It's funner this way.

I utter a thing, you fathom it, deeply.

What I say, literally, it is not what you read. Shakespeare himself would be proud.

Are my words dead? Did they not reach you?

Or could it be, rather, that you harbor a cold, dead thing, where you mind once was?

desu baka sempai

Language evolves, m8. You're in an internet community that changes language on the reg.

>Ad hom
>Strawman
>No attempt at a refutation
Yeah, you sure showed me.

>complaining about linguistic evolution on a website devoted to the slow linguistic decay of society through the endless manufacturing of countercultural meme lingo

What word evolution are you looking forward to Veeky Forums?
For me it's "alot"

>false equivalence

not at all, always/alway and anyways/anyway are equivalently formed and perfectly fine to compare

>aesthetic

The dumb fucks on Veeky Forums who misuse this word piss me off more than anything. Aesthetically pleasing is a term. Something has an X aesthetic is a correct usage. Using it as a synonym of beauty is like saying flowers are scenty.

>people have been making a mistake for a long time so we should tolerate it

Not just tolerate it but encourage it, you literal nigger.

>we should encourage it... because... uh... we got ANOTHER intensifier out of it!

Face it, you're just another normie shill for normie society and all its foibles. If another word is in need it can be convened upon/contrived as most denotations of highly specific concepts has occured for recent history

We shouldn't let plebs forage the corpse of language to find concepts already available to them.

Also

>1847
>always

lol

>Imagine being this retarded.

>Nice used to mean stupid
>Bully used to mean a person of good deeds
>Silly used to mean lucky
They can't keep getting away with it.

I want "whom" and the rule of "no split infinitives" to die. I've noticed compounding words has become more popular like words that used to be hyphenated are now smashed together and tons of neologisms. If that keeps up, English could start looking more and more Germanic which is pretty exciting.

English has literally always been shit, so nothing has really changed.

who are you quoting

This thread is so retarded, no one here think words have any inherent meaning and pointing it out makes you looks like a fucking retard in the same way someone pointing out rain is made out of water looks like a tremendous dildododger.

So you want to go further back to a more "pure" English? How far? The 19th century doesn't seem far enough for you. Maybe we ſhould ſtart uſing the long ſ again like in the 18th.

yeah well you're a bavagagdbdhshsvagdjfihaybvthsbavabtuewnwnbvabavin

If you're trying to make a point, you're shit at it.

no point to be made. that's just my own, personal, more evolved spelling of "faggot"

Well. you're a ggdgghrtjbgh

fbsavy you bnfguh

When will English switch to a more logical phonetic spelling system?
youtube.com/watch?v=7ucCJ_Vn58w

It's always funny watching prescriptivists lash out over inane shit they literally have no real influence over

epic meme macro dude mind if i save it