Foucault Thread

Foucault Thread

Was he right/ wrong?

Where do you agree and disagree with what he said?

Any favorite ideas of his that have influenced you?

I can easily smell /pol/ from you
>starts thread about philosopher
>shows no basic knowledge of his philosophy whatsoever
stop making threads about people you did not read

To be fair, the people who HAVE read Foucault lack the intelligence or the opposable thumbs needed to make a thread.

No that's fair. I can only post from my phone atm so I didn't want to type too much but you're right, it's obnoxious to start threads like this without any participation in the OP.

I am actually a fan of Foucault. I really enjoy his breakdown of the many systems around us that help constitute who we are whether we're aware of it or not. Even if I don't agree with all he says I think he spurs further independent thought into analyzing the world around you. Personally he has really helped me work on introspection and figuring out the kind of person I want to be and the world I'd like to live in.

That being said, I think one of my biggest problems isn't with him persay but the way he is interpreted by far left groups. Yes I know Foucault was an anarcho-communist but I feel what he wrote, at least later in life was much more moderate.

I feel like people read and understand his critique on the different forms of power around us but use that as an excuse to attack any social construction just because it isn't "real". I don't think this is fair and I feel much more like he advocates something closer to a social democracy where the policies of government act for the good of the people and are scrutinized to remove abuses that may result intentionally or otherwise to marginalized groups or the population as a whole. I think he strongly urged self-control and responsibility on the individual level but that is often used as an excuse to find anything with any semblance of power over you and discredit it by people who only read History of Sexuality and Discipline and Punish and then stop.

All I know is he BTFO Chomsky on a TV debate but I still have to see it

semantics in human form

>these are the limits of the /pol/ paranoia bug going around
holy shit people like you are such faggots. why are you bumping a thread you dont like you cunt

Semantics and Sophistry like said

Care to go into a bit more detail?

People like declaring superiority, especially when they're virgins

I have a pretty distorted view of him since Its been a couple years since I read him, tell me what I get wrong

I'm pretty sure he would go through historical texts and looked for examples of how society used to be different. He talked about power struggles and how society as a whole is the one who wields power over the individual. Capitalist society alienates certain people by labeling them as having some kind of defect and should strive for a kind of "normal" even though its not an objective thing. He didn't believe in homosexuals because he thought it was just a label for people who enjoyed sodomy.

I personally think he was a little biased when he went through history because he only picked examples where his ideology would seem to be correct. I don't think he was exactly wrong in many things though.

Are you mentally retarded? How is that an answer to his post?

He was right gay orgies are more important than living wages and minimizing poverty.

Id willingly be poor in exchange for being happy. I don't even know why you say society would be poor, I don't think he had anything against people who enjoyed working

I don't see how your perception of Foucault being a socdem makes it is unfair that people use his tools to deconstruct everything.

DON'T JUDGE DON'T JUDGE

I don't think it's wrong that people use his work to deconstruct the world around him. What I do think is that people who, upon realizing something is a social construction or not "real" attack it just for that. Foucault never said that just because it's socially constructed it's necessarily bad, just that constructions control aspects of our life and can have features that hurt certain groups. While that is bad, I think was advocating a much more nuanced appraisal of society in an attempt to keep the good that the state and social constructions bring us while getting rid of the parts that impede us for no real societal gain

he was so wrong he got AIDS while getting fucked in the ass.

serves the commie fag right.

>Said nothing political
>Call him /pol/ because /pol/ just means anything you don't like
Veeky Forums might possibly the shittiest, pseudiest board on Veeky Forums

>He didn't believe in homosexuals because he thought it was just a label for people who enjoyed sodomy
Wasn't he a homosexual though?

got BTFO by Baudrillard

No, he was a sodomite

IMO i never understood why people think Foucault is political, ive read like 3 of his books and he just appears to me like a narrative historian, and it doesn't look to me like he specifically deconstructs western institutions nor that he reveals them as "evil", he just like goes back on shit and reasses the dynamics in place, for example he argues that there was no such thing as sexual repression during the victorian era, like his whole point on it is "people used to have manners and discresion, now everyone is flaunting their gaping asshole around and call it freedom"

Also pertaining to OP on
>Any favorite ideas of his that have influenced you?
In History of Madness when he roots the "ocean as metaphor of madness" meme with how crazy people used to be shipped around city to city when found, made me think how long memes can really go even when their original reason is completely lost on us