In screenwriting class

>in screenwriting class
(I know, fuck off)
>come up with Indiana Jones-like story where a hero searches for the nails that nailed Christ to the cross
>Professor (a man with two PhDs) says "Ehhh, no, that's not believable. I worked on a film with Burt Lancaster in the 70's that took place in the 1870's, and we wanted to maintain historical accuracy, so we didn't use nails. If there were no nails in 1870, there certainly weren't any in the time of Christ. Rewrite"
>can't tell if he's joking
>laugh
>"Is something funny?"

Long story short, this professor said to send him an email tonight with history of the nail. When it was invented, specifically.

Is he right, though? Were there no nails until 1870? Am I really wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

objectlessons.org/houses-and-homes-romans/nails-ancient-rome-original/s57/a1018/
youtube.com/watch?v=MRDJeisZYTM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

According to the Wikipedia article on nails, nails have existed since ancient times. Makes sense to me, given how simple they are.

Ask him why there was a 1717 committee in Rome to debate the authenticity of the claim that the Iron Crown of Lombardy contained one of the nails used to crucify him.

Nails exist since fucking Bronze Age at least.

I guess they weren't using off the shelf industrially produced nails on the set and maybe were too cheap or lazy to find or make authentic ones.

If your professor genuinely believes that pointy pieces of metal used to join wood are a modern invention, he has some serious mental problems.

Here are some nails from 2200 years ago

>objectlessons.org/houses-and-homes-romans/nails-ancient-rome-original/s57/a1018/

Pretty sure your professor is full of shit.

Most professors in the study of cinema are full of shit too, i toom a few classes like that and every single one had a weird ego, some hipster like attire, and talked like they knew everyone and everything both directly and indirectly.

People like them lie on their resumes. Your professor is probably ripping off your screen play right now.

Did he also walk Bob Dylan up on stage in 1975?

I'm pretty sure your professor trolled you or was sarcastic and you're too socially inept to recognize it.

He's a victim of ""secular""" education

This.

Nails have literally always existed. They weren't as clean or cheap as they are now, but any civilization that has developed metalworking of any kind will have also developed nails. Nails are incredibly simple and incredibly important to any sort of carpentry.

And who cares if it isn't believable? Fuck you, it's fiction.

No there are plenty of tiny minded ego driven professors in every university.

A bitchy little universal history prof at my uni was deadset on teaching that operation barbarossa was launched in winter through Siberia, corrected her, she threw a shitfit. Made me write a paper on hannibal and his crossing of the alps to better understand what hitler was trying to do in Sibetia and then made it a test question to boot.

She was totally serious about it. Legit thought she was on meds with how retarded everything she said was.

So these teachers do exist, they're entrenched in a system that will fire them over offense long before incompetence and they shape our future one way or another.

>through Siberia
*teleports behind you*

if nails didn't exist then how in the seven hells did people make wooden furniture and structures? by putting them together with the magic powers of Vulcan or how?

The level of ignorance in this thread makes me genuinely fearful.

>when were small metal sticks with a sharp end invented that were designed to attach one thing to another
Almost fucking certainly not 1870, my 20£ note's got a tiny section of Adam Smiths notes on how to be more efficient in the manufacturing of pins, and that fucker died before 18-anything

Mortise and tenon joints and wedges.

Cutting joints into the wood, you can make furniture without nails dude.

by making wooden nails or using wizardry
youtube.com/watch?v=MRDJeisZYTM

I want that bed

Who the fuck are you?

Your prom date, you ugly sack of shit.
FUCK YOUUUU

>No there are plenty of tiny minded ego driven professors in every university.
Who use as their source:
>a film with Burt Lancaster in the 70's
In which they work?
That´s a joke, bro.

They found two nails next to the sarcophagus of Caiaphas, the High Priest in 32 AD. Two nails.