Why is Margaret Thatcher, and Thatcher-era Britain, given a lot of shtick?

Why is Margaret Thatcher, and Thatcher-era Britain, given a lot of shtick?

Other urls found in this thread:

cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/dp1246.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDP_deflator
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because she fixed the UK's economy and libs can't stand the fact that she succeeded where they have been miserably failing

Their sexist societies couldn't handle a woman leader. Especially one who couldn't be intimidated by men, isn't young (and didn't/is not effect by the shit younger women face) and exudes a powerful and stern personality often mistaken as masculine (but is quite maternal actually).

>uk
>a sexist society

Our state owned media tells that the gender pay gap is real, and even our "far-right reactionaries" buy into it

She fixed the British economy... By breaking everything north of London. You can imagine why that would create resentment in northern towns.

Success breeds jelousy

Communists and northerners that are still mad

MARGET THATCHER THE MILK SNATCHER

Because left wingers can't get over that
A: She did actually start to put things right, after their ruinous policies left the country with constant powercuts, rubbish left rotting in the street and corpses going unburied
B: She was a lower middle class woman who got into the highest office in the county, without being one of them, therefore destroying the idea that only the left can empower women
C: She was popular and was only removed from office by internal party politics, rather than dissatisfied voters as a whole.

/thread

Labour closed far more mines than Thatcher.

She was a pretty good stateswoman who took the iron-fist approach to many issues which could probably have been resolved a little less harshly but regardless they were solved all the same.

However for all her credit she also fucked up in one major way; Northern Ireland. Her autism in regards to the IRA helped to fuel their propaganda machine and eventually the Maze Prison escape caused a massive surged in support both propaganda-wise and manpower wise for the IRA in Northern Ireland.

Had she paid attention to Northern Ireland whatsoever she could have sorted the Troubles out and simply gave the irish the rights which they campaigned for which would have either ended the conflict or caused the IRA to shatter so hard that they no longer were a credible threat.

Although to be fair England hasn't really cared about Northern Ireland since its conception so she can hardly be blamed.

>gives no shits about NI for a century
>suddenly at the mercy of NI unionists
Really toggers the ol'nogger, bogger

Thatcher saved the UK from bankrupcy and post-sovok tier status

>shtick
fucking disgusting, speak american correctly

>At the mercy of NI unionists

How do you mean? Are you referring to the pact of the recent election? In which case that still doesn't really apply because the DUP for all their cock-waggling are still seen as a corrupt and bumbling example of just how easily manipulated the Northern Irish Unionist electorate are; they still don't give a shit about NI and just tossed some money at the Unionists because they know that they're simply too incompetent to contribute anything of note a discussion.

England have-rightfully so-adopted a "just hope it fucking sorts itself out" approach to NI and it's worked spectacularly for them.

Stole me milk innit?

Leftists are stupid, that's why.

This.

I, in England, just finished a year of an English literature class taught by a 50 year old woman labour voter and massive feminist who absolutely hated Thatcher and her main argument was that she wasn't a feminist or female idol, she just mimicked men.

Exactly that.

I laughed heartily on post-election day. Then I laughed harder when duppies basically said 'that would be dependant on the money, now wunnit?'

Poor May, she deserved better, she did.

Leftists hate her because she destroys their narrative

I think May will be alright, the fenians in NI are at a point where they can literally block the government from forming saying "no assembly till we get our Irish Language Law" and they have massive support saying "well the DUP DID agree to it years ago so..." which means they can essentially get away with fucking murder. No pun intended.

May throwing money at the DUP is probably the smartest thing she could have done.

Except pic related is what they plan to spend it on.

As a very unapologetic irish republican, even I get a hard on when watching THAT movie and seeing the words

"Sink it"

Because leftists have to mock anyone that is conservative in order to make their ideologues look good.

>Margaret Thatcher
Genocidal cunt
>Thatcher-era Britain
Genocidal country

Khool beens.

Hey, you seem like a knowledgeable bloke, yeah? Tell me, how will this brexit business sort itself out. I reckon that there's a good scenario and bad scenario.

Don't worry about being out of the scope of Veeky Forums. Everybody including the mods are in the lindythread shitposting about anglos.

For Northern Ireland it'll probably depend on how they handle the border. There isn't a "good" scenario for NI: they stand and have always stood to gain absolutely nothing from brexit while risking losing a lot, the EU being their biggest import and export partner aside from the Republic of Ireland.
Northern Ireland voted majority remain, however now Unionists are seeing Brexit as an opportunity for a hard border between ROI and NI-purely for sentimental reasons and to "stop EU migrants" when really it's just to cuck the fenians.

Britain will either do pretty well after it or will do okayish; I don't think it's going to be a massive catastrophe but I also don't think it's some memey new age for Britain since many the "cucked" laws as /pol/ calls them were put in place by Britain itself, not the EU, and Brexit isn't going to change Britain other than in a few economic ways.

For Northern Ireland, however, it's a rocky road ahead. A system has been approved which allows NI to automatically rejoin the EU should it vote to unify with the ROI, however all requests for a special status within the EU while part of the UK were denied.

tl;dr - It'll go well for Britain or it'll go okay for Britain, NI gets bullied either way.

>The absolute state of Veeky Forums

t. Patrick Fitzsimmons

Cover up of high ranking pedophiles, installation of police state, neo-liberal encouragement of commonwealth immigration, etc...
She was pretty much the English Reagan.

Fantastic rebutal.

t. Nigel Pinkleberryton

>She was a lower middle class woman
This unironically is the biggie. The affluent left intelligensia in Britian despise the people slightly below them on the totem pole. The Daily Mail readers, inhabitants of provincial market towns.
They like the poor, due to being paternalist, due to vestigal Marxist belief in their revolutionary potential, and to despise the poor would be seen as gauche. But anyone higher up is seen as a wicked reactionary.

What exactly did she fix? The UK has the worst income inequality of any first world country. It's embarrassing.

>implying inequality is bad

>Giving Irish "people" rights

Have fun pulling dead babies out of your septic tank

Thatcher did the right thing with the IRA.
We would be better off treating islamists as petty criminals rather than spooky terrorist boogeymen. Don't play their game

Inequality is a misleading metric, after Thatcher the average worker was earning about 25% more despite the GINI coefficient rising by 0.08 points.

>That increasing gap between mean and median earnings

Earning more doesn't mean shit when the value of currency is constantly changing

That happened after Thatcher.
The chart takes inflation into account.
cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/dp1246.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GDP_deflator

You'd rather the poor were poorer if it meant the rich were less rich

>The UK has the worst income inequality of any first world country.
source

She accelerated a process started under the Labour party of shutting down mines.
That and she managed to fuck over unions over their ridiculous strikes.

Everything else is pretty much fine. Basically you'll only care if you're a tribal Labour voter or a leftist.

>You'll never live in the golden age of humanity when Reagan is President and Thatcher is Prime Minister.

She was a really good Prime Minister, but apparently she started a housing crysis.

>ywn experience the Carter/Callaghan dream team

Liberals can't stand conservative women

You'd rather everybody be equally shabby?

What a jolly good golden age that must have been watching your country stomped into the ground by inept and corrupt genocide-supporting administration!

>When you live in the age where neocons like Reagan and Thatcher set up the economy to inevitably fail

The mines were unsafe and coal is shit. Thatcher did good.

This is the only thing people can bring up. She stopped giving free milk to kids over 7. Whoopdie do. Harold Wilson did the same in 1968 with secondary schools.

That sounds like usual class behavior. The classes immediately above and below are despised, while those more distant are either loved, mimicked, or shown apathy at worst.

How does subsidizing a failing industry help the working class?

If you wanted to make sure the workers kept getting paid it would still be cheaper and easier to close the mines, mills and factories so you don't have to pay all the other expenses, yet the left demanded they be kept running at a loss.

Yeah it's not like we have examples of societies which are both prosperous and have low social inequality

their prosperity has nothing to do with equality, if a couple of billionaires moved in and bumped up inequality it wouldn't change anything

>May throwing money at the DUP is probably the smartest thing she could have done
The only thing she could have done. I swear Toryfags are bordering on delusional to refuse to admit that May has just put herself and her party in an absolutely shitty position.

the last line makes it all worthwhile tbqh

But Corbyn never had a chance to be PM in the trajectory he and his party was going before the snap election, squabbling with each other and still recovering with a bitter leadership struggle. May basically revitalized him and his politics and set him more likely than any point of his time to become PM.

I don't know for the others by I know that the standard of living in Sweden is actually quite low. Most of them live in commieblocks and don't much disposable income, compared to Americans.

>highest use of antidepressants
>Denmark phasing out nationalised healthcare by 2020
>GST 25%
You literally get punished for existing

Norway doesn't fit Nordic models anyways because it has lower taxes and like $1 trillion in oil as a backup

That's like saying Trump would have never had a chance to be President in the trajectory he and his party were going before the snap election. Things change. People despise one and chase the other.

Whatever might have happened, Corbyn is a dreadful, doddering old fool with no grasp on society, his own party or a spine to fight for either with. Regardless of what happened, UK dodged a bullet that he's not PM.

But the USA presidential election was something that Trump has been running for two or three times already and was a fixed date in American politics. May chose to call a snap election, despite claiming she never would do it. May chose to set the circumstances that made Corbyn this fucking popular. Hell if she didn't do the deal with DUP, I would claim she was a deep undercover Labour trying to screw the Tories from within, instead of a really incompetent Tory politician.

>Regardless of what happened, UK dodged a bullet that he's not PM.
And that is the problem, you can shit on Corbyn all you want, he is more likely than ever to be the next PM. All thanks to May and Tories killing off their voter base.

>Cherrypicking examples of shit you think constitutes a bad society
>THERE, IT'S BROKEN, SEE?
>Saying Norway doesn't fit nordic models because it has a sovereign wealth fund, even though it does in fact follow a Nordic model, and has been referred to as such by academia for years

what the fuck am I reading? Norway combines free markets with a social safety, has reasonable private ownership of key sectors like Sweden, and takes advantage of the competitive free market by using capitalism as a tool of the state to improve infrastructure and welfare

how is this not a nordic model?

I suppose so? I was more addressing the nature of the improbable nature of election politics, regardless of the nature of the election.
>just noticed i said 'snap election' in my response
mistakes were made
but hey, at least Jeremy Corbyn's not PM

And i am discussing the vast difference in a legislature election and a executive one, where the health and politics of the party determines the former while personality and personal politics determines the latter. Corbyn was in a weaker position to even gain seats than Trump ever was in being president.

>at least Jeremy Corbyn's not PM
That is cold comfort when he is probably gonna be PM in 2022. But hey at least it is better than not being in PM in 2020 if the snap election wasn't called right? Oh wait...

he'll probably be dead in 2022. screencap this.

honestly, delaying the inevitable is worth it. The longer time goes on, the more chance he has of dying.

>delaying the inevitable is worth it
And that is the point I have been trying to make but you seem to be utterly incapable of getting. Corbyn had absolutely NO chance to be PM before the snap election. And if your current electoral strategy is to hope someone (who actually leads a surprisingly healthy lifestyle) dies, you are a sitting duck ideologically and electronically.

>corbyn
>getting elected
maybe if you increase paki immigration by 200% yet again

>said nervous Tory voter for the 8th time

. . . . . . I . .
W O R T H

She was a right wing woman. So they see her as a "traitor". That's why the leftists hate her.

>voting tory

>voting

I'm pretty sure that's the US, and it's still growing. some places in the US resemble a 3rd world country to the point the US can be classified as a developing nation

>paki increase
>what is the past 7 years of government
>b-but muh labour open door

Do explain how young people and the labour party brought about muh white minority during a conservative leadership though. The burgers in this thread probably underplay the gravitas unions have in Britain, as well as putting the American stigma of unions that doesn't exist here. There's a lot of hate for Thatcher up north for the fact there was no respite after the closing of mines; people were left to the wolves. The fact there was prominent members of cabinet who advised her to allow a "managed decline" of places like Liverpool. Really paints a picture for how a lot of conservatives viewed the northern regions; and that's without getting into events like Hillsborough.

She threatened to nuke Argentina for using anti-ship missles in the Falklands War.

How is that a bad thing?

>why is threatening a nuke over a what amounts to a minor border skirmish bad
Beucase it made us look like fucking idiots to the international community, the war was only seriously waged because Thatcher wanted re-election

Because re-directing industry and jobs away from the north put massive pressure on families in the north, when the pit closed a consistent form of employment vanished, leading to a lowered ammount of spending in the north, hurting business's that set up in the north, Coal had to go eventually, but Thatcher's methods devastated the local northern economy, plus there are some pretty legitimate arguments that banning trade unions was an ecroachment upon the rights of Britons, and some people believe that international competitveness < workers rights.

>not voting
At least give the lib dems a pity vote.

>They're cucked now which means they were cucked then

Fuck off, millennial trash

>lol who cares if they take your territory take a chill pill bro

Fuck off nu male

>The UK has the worst income inequality of any first world country
lolwat? No it doesn't

Gosh, I just don't know. What COULD it be that Thatcher did that makes everyone who's not a lord hate her?

It was Clinton intervening that fucked the peace process up in the long run

All 8 people? The argies were scum but we could kick their asses without having to resort to nukes, if a child kicks you in the shin you don't pull out a fucking gun. the falklands war was pointless dickwaving from both sides.

Yeah, unless you're a coal miner, live up north, are a child, need hospital care, live in grenada, don't like living under the constant threat of nuclear hellfire, or like stablity, then yeah, total dreamtime

People with money spend money, developing the local economy and allowing profitable business's to grow off the investment you make into the "failing" firm that was funded to increase employment.

Without the mines, local business's lost business, because there weren't any minders to buy their shit.

Attlee pissed away money the completely bankrupted UK didn't have on an indulgent welfare state that wasn't called for at the time. The whole policy was backwards from the start, you build that kind of system after you have a superlative economy not before.

>wasn't called for at the time
He got elected.

I don't even know how to respond to this
Do you have any idea what public opinion was on more austerity after the war
Do you even know how shit things got after he left and tories came in?

You realize they actually did have huge amounts of wealth from the Marshall plan, but the conservatives pissed it away on pointless colonial upkeep and military spending?

It doesn't matter what the prevailing opinion was and it makes no difference that he won an election.
The British people were living in a total fantasy land and the failing infrastructure and wholly warped economy in the present is a direct result of that inability to come back to reality. Most would be shocked and embarrassed to learn just how dire the financial situation was in 1945.
There were options between price controls and sugar rations and a full-on cradle to grave welfare state that hasn't appreciably changed in seventy years.

>the failing infrastructure and wholly warped economy in the present

You understand Britain has the 5th highest GDP and is one of the fastest countries growing in Europe, right?

Marshall Aid was given and vanished as fast as it arrived during Attlee's Labour government from '45 to '51. Labour in fact tapped the Americans for extra loans so they could meet the enormously overstretched military commitments.

>Get money to rebuild your country
>Use that money
>HURR DURRR WHYD YOU LOSE IT

Labour reduced the military budget, and most of the cabinet opposed to Korean war.

Actually what are you on about
The problems in our economy is because we sold EVERYTHING for a pittance
Do you not remember when we sold most of our shares in a plasma company for less than a third of what it got sold on just five years later
Do you not remember when we made every concession to every company and then they repaid us by not paying any tax at all

Literally a non-issue made into a big deal by jealous losers and crypto commies.

>It doesn't matter what the prevailing opinion was and it makes no difference that he won an election.
>an indulgent welfare state that wasn't called for at the time.
Pick one you fucking faggot

And where does the money come from to pay for that? Taken out of the economy, making everyone poorer, increasing the need for more government make-work projects, increasing the need to tax and borrow, etc.

It's not a sustainable model.