Study history

>Study history
>Get more and more depressed knowing how fucked up humans can be

Am I the only one

no

>Study history
>Get more and more depressed knowing how fucked we got.

> how fucked up humans can be

Who? Amerindians?

Nah, it was liberating. Knowing that everyone fucked up in every nation/religion/etc means that I can do the same and it'll be alright.

>study history
>realize how far we've come and how much we've progressed

Modern life is a breeze compared to pre-modern struggles just to barely survive

At first humans were humans,
While reading history humans were not humans.
After I was done with history, humans were humans.

-t Historian Zen

>study history
>realize we have regressed culturally

Does the history you've studied consist of /pol/ infographics perchance?

Yes. /pol/ is a cesspool of humanity. In the past degenerates like that would be murdered. Now they are allowed to shitpost.

You also have that turd eating grandpa on the first page.

Don't forget the abbos! Poor fellas...

>>Study history
>>Get more and more depressed knowing how fucked up humans can be
>
>Am I the only one

No. I feel the same way. My faith in humanity dissipates more every day.

>study history
>cry at the greatness and diversity of humanity

You are just a pleb OP.

It got the opposite effect on me, i know humans can accomplish great things aswell.

Just wait till the minerals run out.

I remain an optimist. Look at how far we have progressed. Granted shit isn't perfect and there is plenty of fuckery going on but the common man has a better quality of life now. That's gotta count for something.

Trips confirm.

Things are going to be OK. They may get a bit rocky for a bit here and there, but the projections for renewable energies, furthered space travel, and general spread of knowledge is fantastic. There's way too much future ahead to care emotionally about the past. It's interesting and has great lessons, but we're leaving it at fantastic rates.

>the projections for renewable energies, furthered space travel, and general spread of knowledge is fantastic.

I'd like some sources user.

Global warming will destroy entire countries leading to unprecedented humanitarian catastrophes, automation and artificial intelligence will continue to eat jobs giving rise to more political extremism and antibiotics will soon be useless. We have exciting times ahead of us folks.

>study history
>learn about all the things humans have ever done
>realize how tiny and pointless your life is, how stupid humans are, and how fleeting everything is
>go dead inside

Being numb is better than depression at least.

>study history
>realize humans are less noble creatures mastering their environment and searching for objective truth but animals instead giving in to their most basic animalistic instincts who used ideology as a means to unify the herd.
ZIZEK WAS RIGHT

You're not alone.

>study history
>realize human can be vile, cruel, and barbaric to one another
>but
>we tell these tragic tales to one another so we don't end up with more tragedy.
>keep passing the torch, be dead-honest with history and never let your beliefs intertwine with history.
>that way the shit won't repeat itself with future generations.

>bealiving the kikes

You guys are right and I do think human beings have improved and will improve.
But what I'm feeling is that the "instinct" will always remain deep inside, just repressed.
Makes me loathe human beings as whole sometimes.

Why would you get depressed about how fucked up humans can be? Why are you depressed by reality? You need to re-evaluate your core beliefs and ideology if simply reading what happened shatters your preconcieved notions of the world. I dont mean to cut you with my edge, but I mean come on guys. What is really frightening is that there are a ton of people like you. Raise your children to be more aware, dont shelter them and give them participation trophies. I'm not saying expose them to physical harm, but certainly expose them to the horrors of the world so they can grow up aware and not take for granted the civilization they are living in. More than that so that they see hrough the "civilization" they are living in and realize that everyone is out to get what you have in one way or another. Life is a struggle, but its worth having. Quit being a little bitch and rejoice in the truely great accomplishments that man has achieved. From exploring the entire world, to the deep seas, to outer space, to being able to see other galaxies, to flight, to mechanized agriculture so successfull that food is now worthless and the gov has to pay farmers not to grow so the market remains alive, to engines, to renewable fuels, to modern fucking medicine, to nuclear war, to being able to systematically kill millions of people, to creating the internet, etc. As far as we know we are the most badass creatures in the universe and if we came across another extraterrestrial life form we would probablybe the ones doing the killing and the scientific probing. We literally do that to deep see creatures right now. We have never seen them in their natural environment so we capture them and try various ways to bring them to the surface. Many die, but we document cool new creatures and put their bodies in museums. Im sure if they were sentient creatures that could talk this would be concerning, but its just living fish right? Either way, be proud you weenie.

Nature rewards the most fit to survive.
Humanity's cruelness and hatred towards itself is a survival mechanism that has allowed the species to remain in constant competition even when other species would not be, ensuring that we never slow down developing new methods of survival. This one instinct has kept humanity alive throughout all the earth, even in places that required a species to adapt over millions of years humans took residence in after only a few centuries, because of their constant competition with one another.

On the contrary, the fact humanity recognizes and admonishes this basic instinct is surely a sign then that our species has begun to evolve by creating new methods of survival, methods that no longer rely on competition but instead co-operation, which is inherently more morally correct than the previous option.

Either perspective is ultimately positive, you just have to be willing to be positive yourself.

>we represent humans
>let's kill this ethnic group and assimilate their elites
>why do you complain? we represent the human race
Hmm...

They're all just gonna magically disappear?

Indeed

>Nature rewards the most fit to survive.
Then why do mongooses kill snakes when they're born few and weak while snakes mass produce?

>study science
>my peers invented spears, arrows, swords, gunpowder, shells, zyklon-b, h-bombs, and every means of killing
>don't give a flying fuck

Now I'm not a biologist so if anything I say is factually wrong then it's wrong, this is just me theorizing.
Each species has a different method of survival. The mongoose, while born few and weak, stick together to account for their individual weakness; there are fewer of them, thus it does not strain the amount of resources necessary for them to survive, but there are enough to where their own individual weaknesses are accounted for.
Likewise, the snake is born from a massive pod. They are killed by the mongoose, yes, but because there are so many snakes they cannot hope to kill them all, and the snakes that DO live do so because they are the fastest, the strongest, the most fit to survive.
The "reward" in this sense is not necessarily one species killing the other, but rather the species continues to survive. In this sense, then, it does not mean there has to be a winner, rather you simply must prove your worthiness through continued survival.
Eventually, when the Earth begins to melt away from the sun as it expands, neither the Mongoose nor the Snake will be fit to survive, and so they are punished with extinction. But Humanity, through their own intrinsic bickering and in-fighting, have developed ways to surpass one another, including space flight. This is the survival mechanic I spoke of earlier, by making competition where there is none, humanity has prepared itself for this situation, and they have the ability to move away from the Earth and to another planet. They are the most fit to survive, and Nature rewards them for it.
I think you could easily provide counter-points to my argument, I was just trying to explain my line of thinking.

If survival is the end goal shouldn't people be trying to engineer something better?

People are already doing it.

It's stupid to get depressed over things outside your control.

>Getting depressed or scared form simple history

You should be embarrassed to have that opinon

>it's cool that that the twentieth century was the most catastrophic, bloody century on record.
>at least we have iphones n shit
The entire world was almost glassed not sixty years ago. If you buy this Utopian, end of history nonsense, you're a naive fool, and a tool to bring us ever closer to self-destruction.