Why is education such a waste of time these days compared to even 30 years ago? I want to go to college...

Why is education such a waste of time these days compared to even 30 years ago? I want to go to college, but I feel like it'd be a big waste of time.

Why am I supposed to be happy to go to school for 4 years and best case scenario is that I get a job as an engineer making $65,000 working in butt-fuck nowheresville, USA with my work consisting of doing petty bullshit on AutoCAD that anyone could learn how to do within one month by themselves no problem. It doesn't sound worth it.

If I could do an entire degree online, I'd be okay with it since I can do it at my own pace(much faster) and it wouldn't feel like such a fucking drag, but this 4 year shit just to get a shitty job making $65,000 in the best case scenario, it sounds like a big joke.

Get off my boards with your existential crap.

listen to jordan Peterson. sort yourself out.

don't really know what ur talking about, educated engineers make 100k minimum...

anyone who equates the university system with job training doesn't belong in the university. thanks for ruining it for the rest of us, dummy

in another life you'd be pushing blocks of hay or laying bricks

That's not the point. I understand what university is historically for. You aren't opening my eyes to anything new. Fuck off.

her eyebrows are beautiful

>don't really know what ur talking about, educated engineers make 100k minimum...
Meanwhile in UK....

Holy fuck I'm glad I live in America as a computer engineer

in the UK you need an integrated master's degree. those statistics are for engineers that aren't really engineers. they aren't certified. people in the UK can call themselves engineers when they aren't. in the US it's illegal, but you also can get certified from the bachelors degree

man, chem eng seems to be in high demand every where except my country. i got cucked hard

I have a business studies degree and the average starting salary is like 17.5k, feels bad man.

no one is forcing u to do engineering u dip, major in what makes u happy

This. Do Women's Studies or whatever.

If you fall into 2 or more of these categories then you should go to college
>people who were popular in high school and/or can be on a significant sports team
>people who can leave with little or no debt
>people who get accepted into elite tier university (top 5 world wide)
>people who have family that can guarantee them a good position and just need the degree as a formality

If not then college is a huge waste of fucking time I don't care if you're majoring in art or chemical engineering

you're cucking yourself by not moving, nigger.

how much dogecoin to facefuck her and cum on her tits?

This.

Most jobs can be learned through apprenticeships with some minimal course work. That's what they do in Switzerland. They have very low unemployment and very few people go to university. The education system needs to be revamped. Most people go to university for job prospects, not for "higher education"

Then why did you go to uni?

He just knowledge bombed your dumbass.

cant get a visa unless i have x amount of years experience, ect.

Because the class lectures, homework, professors and tests are all available online for free.

I can't think of a bigger definition of "waste of time" besides paying people for an allocated time of day in which you're allowed to learn anymore.

WTF?

Idk man. It seems to me that the majority of people in my life that have found me learned something on their own have done way better for themselves than those I know that have done the classic 4 year degree thing.

I was never really sold on it, I did maybe 2 quarters worth at a community college my senior year of high school and haven't really looked back.

The only stress I have is if I had to look for a different job than I have now, it wouldn't be very easy.

Also, 2 year degrees can pull you 95k per year.

The market is so flooded with bachelors and higher education that you're basically fucked.

But hey fuck it the boomers gotta retire, right?

>Why is education such a waste of time these days compared to even 30 years ago? I want to go to college, but I feel like it'd be a big waste of time.
Going to college used to actually be useful. The vast majority of the population did not go to college. Those who did got a specialized/professional degree that made them desirable in the job market. Now that college is being considered a "human right" to libs, more and more of the population is going to college. A redpill is that corporations are pushing the "go to college" propaganda to increase the supply of college grads, which allows them to lower wages. Same thing with feminism and females entering the workforce. 60 years ago a factory worker could support a family of 4 and be able to take a vacation once a year.

Boomers are retiring, but 4 year ponzi sch.. colleges are still pumping out more and more graduates

Yes, and the interest rate these sucke...I mean fine graduates are paying are going directly to social security payments.

And of course, government funded public research is at an all time high. Because the ever made more money than privatized research.

I have never understood how some people who could be considered intelligent are so fucking clueless. They think anything outside of professional degrees/ hard STEM will actually land them a high paying job. Also, the STEM STEM STEM campaign is being done to drive down wages as well.

I never said I did you dumb nigger.

I guess nursing, primary teaching, and accounting don't require degrees where you live.

yeah. Depending on the job you want collage is 100% a waste of time.
If the job you want requires college, /only/ 50% of your time will be wasted.

makes sense.
Software engineers are getting 120k minimum right now. More if you're out west.

I've done the math. Even if you take out loans @ 6% you're better off going to college and making 50k/year than not going to college and making 35k /year. IF you're going to wagecuck either way. The math gets better when you factor in upward movement.

Some degrees actually do benefit from schooling. Accounting is one. Engineering is another. it would be hard to just "pick up" advanced physics or just "pick up" sophisticated accounting treatment.

>Software engineers are getting 120k minimum right now. More if you're out west.
and you're paying about half for living expenses.

Outside of STEM, business, and a couple professional degrees, college is worthless for the average individual.

How are people making minimum wage surviving then?

gibs

working two jobs and getting some gibmedats, living in a house with multiple people... pretty typical.

>Most jobs can be learned through apprenticeships with some minimal course work.
>most

keywords bud

also dont pretend like accounting is hard. its a low iq job.

>He thinks he's getting his loans at 6%

>low iq job.
Pays competitively to engineering.

They're putting up with intolerable bullshit. Like 1.5hr+ commute times.

How much debt will education get you into, and how long will it take you to pay that debt off, presuming you actually manage to get a job in your chosen field?

zero

>zero debt from going to college
I do not think you understand why people say college is a scam.

OP is talking about 4 year/bachelor's degree.

I'm a senior. I have 0 debt. No scholarships/grants either.

>education is a waste of time
> t. uneducated teenager

Why not go through the motions then? It'll only serve to benefit you in the end if you have credentials. It might suck paying some shlomo to tell you what to read for tens of thousands a year, but it is what it is. The value of a degree is as stable as society allows, so decide based on what you want to do, how beneficial that role is, and how much society values a degree.

Junior, but same here. It is the people who take out 100k in loans for a sociology degree that get fucked over by the system.

Most degrees are worth jack shit to society.

Become a doctor or engineer in the top 20% of your class or don't go at all.

Not true. Most corporate jobs will not touch you unless you have a degree.

>wanting to be a corporate cuck

Time is more valuable. I don't give a shit to work as an engineer, or an accountant, or a whatever for 20+ years. I don't want to do it. I'd rather have my time. You could die next year of some disease and that's it for your life, and you spent 4 years of it going through more educational hoops. Time is above money.

yeah and plumbers can make more than both. what's your point?

It's just the most basic prerequisite, like being able to breath and having a heart rate.

The funnels to get people from college degrees to corporate jobs are becoming ever thinner. It's a game designed to make you lose.

Literally basic supply and demand.

Education is still good, you're just getting the wrong kind.

>Become a doctor or engineer in the top 20% of your class or don't go at all.
Implying all those MD's and engineers in the low 80% just die.
The Alibaba chink got it right when he said

>outside of everything that isn't a meme about college, college is a meme

I disagree, that sounds extremely risky. The world will only get more competitive. Plus there's a correlation between high academic achievement and developing other skills (I assume they mean leadership and whatnot). It's not like all the mediocre students become super networkers in their free time.

In my bachelor and my Master degree the only people who could afford to be mediocre and not struggle later could do so because their parents had them set for life.

Chinese men have the strangest bone structures.

I think the guy was rejected from jobs in the past literally for being ugly

by not living in silicon valley?

Then why dont you give away all your money and walk off into the forest where you'll have all the time in the world.

Any hobo can tell you having time is not better than having money. You need a good balance of both for maximum happiness output but i get what you're getting at

D E L U S I O N

You leave her alone, she seems like a wholesome girl.

I did a levels in germany and decided i didnt want to study but did an apprenticeship as a carpenter
And i shit you not today i earn more money and have more fun doing my job than most of my friends who went to university and that is without my crypto earnings

that's because white collar jobs in europe pay fucking nothing.

I don't get you Americans, just save for couple of years and move to another country where education is either free or relatively cheap, with your annual income you can do whatever you want.

white people dont like it when minorites get ahead. africans are the most educated immigrants. hows that for karma.

go to socal

That photo killed me a little bit inside.

Actually a lot of educated Africans are really smart though. How come?

Haha bullshit, I'm 22 and graduating next year in electronic and electrical engineering.
I have a graduate scheme for 36k already lined up.

>average

No its not for the UK poor fag

you're earning 36k USD a year?

I was talking about the UK bro, 36k in £

i still dont follow, hes given you a set of data but because you're earning more (an anecdotal example) then its wrong?

wew

lad

how did you pass EE if you dont know what averages are? fucking hell

>live in flyover
income $70k tax 25% CoL 25% save 50%
>live in cuckifornia
income $110k tax 35% CoL 50% save 15%

Most of my friends who graduated this year with a Bachelors will be making more than the average the image was talking about.

Not sure where those figures are coming from.

>Most of my friends who graduated this year with a Bachelors will be making more than the average the image was talking about

most of my friends were making 100-120k straight out of university but that isnt close to the average here (most of them went off to work for mining companies). its pretty easy to say that but you dont know how much everyone else is earning with the same qualifications

>Not sure where those figures are coming from

it literally tells you at the bottom of the image

>Software engineers are getting 120k minimum right now. More if you're out west.
Meanwhile, in my shithole of a country, Software engineers earns the least of all engineering professions($45k starting) with miniscule pay growth and yet, vast amounts of these jobs are outsourced to Pajeets

behold, the Yuropoor mindset
>move to another country to get an education, whether inferior or not, that is not valued by any employers outside of that country and never be able to use that degree back in America and never get the annual income of an American

I just turned 23 and might enroll

Yeah man I don't trust those averages anymore. I'd rather get a real prospective from talking to people rather than reading figures online all the time, most of which are outdated. They'll give you a rough idea on where there is demand in the market but that's about it. Same thing goes for university rankings and similar.

>Why is education such a waste of time these days compared to even 30 years ago?
There is so much information, that trying to learn it is pointless and impossible. relying on computers to give us the answers to things is the inevitable future of things.

Child of a self-made worker who didn't graduate one of the top schools in the country for Aerospace engineering.
He could have but whoops got my mom pregnant and has honor in him so since she dropped out now he has to in order to start supporting the family with a stay-at-home wife.

The benefits of college and university is being allowed a bubble from the general pressures of the world in order to just focus wholly on learning and eating up as much information as possible. You don't need to worry as much over food, having a job and housing (some like dad still do if they don't get as much loans though but generally speaking)

Now, my Dad had a pretty terrible situation to contend with. Babies on the way (there's five kids in my family), a wife that doesn't work and no finished degree, he buckles down, lifts his sleeves and works like a madman.
Pushing 80 hour weeks or more first working terrible jobs in call centers or crappy it companies while staying up late at night studying code languages (he's always done so but the situation took him into high gear) because from watching the trends of the economy, he knew that it will become marketable.
On top of having to commute 1-2 hours or more into work and having an emotionally unstable wife who keeps forcing the family to move across the country state to state to her hometown (to this day she can't live far from her mom), he keeps having to find new work but eventually makes a big break after getting a job at microsoft.
I was about five when he got that job so he had to grind non stop for 7ish years to get there without his degree and numerous set backs. All five of us were born at this time so we packed it all up and moved out to Washington state to the greatest days of my childhood.

Without a college degree, you are without the "base" skill sets. You will need to prove your worth twice as much starting from near nothing to get the same opportunities that graduates have. Con't

Because the number of retards that are allowed to enter college has risen dramatically, so most schools are forced to lower their requirements proportionally. Even elite colleges like Yale are now full of rampaging negroes and idiot feminists. Leftism destroys everything, starting with the educational institutions.

This is really more of an entry-level /pol/ thread but anything is better than LOL RATE MY BLOCKFOLIO so, 6/10, you made me respond.

tons of interesting parallels to the (100-400 year period) fall of rome, tbhq familia

>cont
I graduated Uni but in a degree that's hard to use unless you have money without getting a loan from the gubment (farming because I see trends going towards it). Most farmers statistically need a main income so my plan's to grind and save until I can buy my own land and put my education to use.
Granted I did that route because I was a clueless and guideless kid without much purpose. I studied web design before that since coding runs in the family but it wasn't until I started working post grad that I realized how vital it is to code and how much more I could make.

Dad pays alimony to my mother who I stopped talking to for years.
Don't marry too soon and have kids with a woman who shows signs of instability or who doesn't work. Seriously, it messed up all our lives when she fled the state with myself and siblings in tow and left behind divorce papers for Dad to come home to. We are still healing from that major setback because she continues to abuse the system to siphon money from him so she didn't have to work and party all day erryday.
Get a women you meet in your path to success and who works as hard as you do.
And regardless, Prenups, prenups, prenups.

If you consider college, apply to the best and any others. Even if you don't get into the best at first, transfer later. Community college is great to start in, I entered into an honors program by getting great grades in community college and got accepted to all schools I applied to with no debt since I worked full time to pay half my tuition and Dad paid the other half. Work your ass off, party to a minimum, invest in friends who aspire to the top of the field, network with good leads at your school.
The greatest benefit to university
Is.
The.
Networking.

My dad proves you could get ahead without a degree into top level positions by just working hard but he was still far behind his now retired friends who worked just as hard and used all the benefits of university.

And then they expect you to buy a house for £400,000