Is Stoicism a viable modern way of life?

Is Stoicism a viable modern way of life?

Why wouldn't it be? What part of it do you imagine is not compatible?

What's a good translation of Meditations to read?

It is. I discovered it a month ago and was fascinated how fast it helped me to get rid of social anxiety. And i haven't even embraced it fully yet.

Nah. Nihilism is the way to go

Yes.

The biggest difficulty you will find is that there are not many people who understand Stoicism very well, to discuss with you on any questions you have.
Many people in the "Modern Stoicism" community are not "Stoic", but Epicurean or Utilitarian.

The Discourses of Epictetus is the best book.

Isn't nihilism pretty much mindless hedonism?

i thought stoicism was nihilism?

Although Marcus Aurelius was a man who came from a position of such privilege, it is quite nice seeing his ability to reflect on that position in Meditations.

The Stoics taught us to take a step back from the superstitions ingrained in ancient societies. They brought Gnosticism into, what I believe, a form of pre-enlightenment deism. They realized that man's emotions are not entirely under his or her control. Reflect, breathe, use logic to assess even the most stressful or anxiety driven situations.

Though Marcus was the richest most powerful man of his time, well him, Lucius Verus, and Commodus, the power didn't get to his head like it did with Caesar, Antony, or Octavian.

Really his biggest mistake was grooming his son over a more qualified statesmen/general (one and the same in Rome).

Though Meditations doesn't follow a very good scheme imo, I think it is a profound piece of literature for one of societies biggest grecoboos.

Modern way of life? I think it goes a lot better with the West than one of the Abrahamic religions. Islam is close, being a solid reformation on dark-age Christianity and Judaism (with that Arabian flare of course), but Islam fails to work easily with Secular Humanism and enlightenment values. Yes there is charity, meditation (prayer), and public service, it still pushes slave morality mindset.

To put it shortly, yes Stoicism like cynicism is extremely important in societal checks and regulation.

i didnt even know what the fuck this nigga was going on about

shoulda gotten a better translation

Gregory Hays.

>Is Stoicism a viable modern way of life?
No, it's mindfulness 0.1 alpha

Anything which teaches people to make due with their shitty surroundings lacks a galvanizing mechanism to make it anything more than a fad among well-to-do yuppies

Maxwell Staniforth

What happened with Commodus also was he a Christian or pagan?

Degenerates like you deserve to be hanged. Nihilism is the scourge of modern world.

Yes, but Epicureanism is better. Lead a simple life and answer to no one but yourself.

le epic rickandmorty phoilosophy XDDDD

>Islam is close
Mind expanding on this more? Saw some posts on reddit about stoicism and Islam, but all the people claiming it was compatible were Muslims obviously and just kept harking on about "context".

Is the modern adaption cognitive therapy?

STOICISM IS THE ETHOS OF RESIGNATION, AND OF FATALISTIC DILIGENCE —STOICISM IS THE ETHOS OF THE "SUPERFLUOUS MAN".

I found CBT and ACT less helpful than Stoicism.

Which is why it was all the rage among the romans

With Epicureanism you're still dependant on external factors, like having [spoiler]friends[/spoiler] for example.

The fundamental Protestant/Unionist community of Northern Ireland are seen as 'stoic'. They also tend to be regarded as gashdribbling loons.

What makes someone a "true" stoic, as opposed to modern stoics? Or rather, what are modern stoics missing?

I am a nihilist, it sucks I am conviced that we must lie to people so they never feel empty or lack of meaning in their lifes, keep them in the lie of religion and meaning it makes them eficient and happy. The liberators of ideology will doom us all

>What makes someone a "true" stoic, as opposed to modern stoics? Or rather, what are modern stoics missing?

Stoicism = the only good is virtue. You should only desire what is in your sphere of choice.
Modern "Stoicism" = Things other than virtue are goods. There is nothing wrong with desiring things outside your sphere of choice.

The definition of "good for society" of modern "Stoicism" is similar to that of Utilitarians.

Falsehood is the source of all evil.

Epicureanism is worse than Stoicism.

It's viable, yes. I would recommend studying the works of Stoics and taking it up as a practical system/outlook. Study the works of Plato and Aristotle above all, though (as I'm sure the Stoics did, at least with Plato).

Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus were both pagans. Commodus sat through his philosophy-infested upbringing, biding his time until he was made coemperor. After his sickly weakling of a father died, he came back to Rome and dabbed on all his haters. This cat was killing lions 1v1 in the arena for everyone's entertainment and he's a top 5 all-time thot slayer. His reign also began a dark period of decay which lasted pretty much until Aurelian, who came over 100 years later so... not really the best ruler.

Why don't you just kill yourself if you think everything is meaningless. Why suffer through life?

Turn to Christ, OP.

Stoicism is a response to nihilism. It doesn't claim that there is intrinsic meaning, but instead suggests that you will be happier if you just don't worry about "meaning" and instead concentrate on living a moral life.