PreHistoric Architecture

ITT: Bronze/Stone age sites./buildings that interest you. I"ll start.

The Nuraghe of Sardina, massive drywall fortresses constructed during the stone age.
(Pic related, Su Nuraxi)

>Inb4 stonehenge

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:200805231215_Wollhaarmammut_Millie_Schädel.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lament_for_Sumer_and_Ur
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Op here, Layout.

Stonehenge.

I should one day visit Vinca and a similar site in Serbia on the Danube called Lepenski Vir. But I doubt they have anything in terms of guides or at least some sort of half-informed local to talk you through it. Seems a shame, Vinca is is about 20 minutes car ride from where I live, and I never got round to go there

All the good stuff is deep underwater off the coast of England and northern France.

Nan Madol, capital of some shitty pacific empire till they collapsed in the 15th century. the entire city was built on artificial islands.

Pic related

I wrote a paper about this like, 3 years ago. I wrote it my Senior year of high school so it might be kind of shit but I can post some of it if anyone is interested.

>tfw you'll never live in doggerland

That's another Nuraghe, Nuraghe Arrubiu of Orroli

Anyway good taste OP

Nuraghi were built in The bronze age

map of Nan Madol

Shit.

What?

Post, user.

Good one OP, this well temple was built by the sane civilization who built the structure you've posted, it is known as the temple of Santa Cristina because of the Medieval church built near the site.

It was made around the 11th century bc and the perfectly fitted stones you see are made of basalt rock, so shaping them must have required quite some time, pic related is the monumental staircase leading to the underground tholos chamber, today only the underground portions of the building survive, but archaeologists think there originally was an outside tholos structure as well..

Underground tholos

Op here, nice find!

This is another temple they built, it dates back to the 13-12th century bc. it's called Su Tempiesu, and is one of the best preserved "open air" parts of a temple, since a landslide covered it in the 9th century bc and preserved it

Archaeologists have found ceremonial bronze swords stuck on the roof of the temple

Sticks and stones?

Some bones too:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:200805231215_Wollhaarmammut_Millie_Schädel.jpeg

Reconstruction

Op again, nice. (Fake arch is cool too.)

I only heard of this because of civ 6. must have looked super comfy in its heyday

Post it, I am sure that no one would think it's shit and call you a shitfag or something like that

>Nuraghe
>Stone Age

Nigger what

>Basically Atlantis but actually feasible.

Here's another interesting monument from bronze age Sardinia

This is a ritual fountain found in the settlement of Sa Sedda e Sos Carros, thanks to a hydraulic implant water flowed through lead pipes which peaked from the stone made ram protomes into the central basin

The settlement had other interesting features such as primitive sewerage system

bump

Yes they used the corbel arch a lot

Here anons, sorry for the long down time.

Many archaeologists in the 18th and 19th centuries described mounded Mississippian villages as having a large emphasis on buildings on top of mounds, Sissel Schroeder notes this and observes “The larger size of structures on mounds...have all been used to support the inference that mound summit architecture signaled a social or economic status distinction”

In an early Neolithic village in India, at a site called Balathal, the walls of a house are plastered to signify major events in a persons life, and to signify holidays, specifically religious ones (Boivin 6).

Jose Marquez-Romero and Victor Jimenez-Jaime observe that “All Iberian ditched sites so far identified share a characteristic feature of their European counterparts: the presence of a considerable number of pits.” Early European villages and settlements were usually found in places that were easily accessible and lower than the outlying area (Marquez-Romero and Jimenez-Jaime).

Cardonal is a Neolithic village in northern Argentina. The village of Cardonal is made up of around 100 stone circular or sub-circular shapes made into compounds (Scattolin et al. 5). Scatolin et al. also state that in the compounds of Cardonal, many functions were fit into several buildings (9).

Most neolithic and early agricultural European settlements had buildings in circular and curved geometric shapes, Marquez-Romero and Jimenez-Jaime state “Though still overall circular in appearance, some recently observed layouts include wavy or sinuous ditches.” Scattolin et al. argue “From this perspective, the space of the house can be understood as a historicized field forged by people-object relationships and by the operations that become substantiated in the course of such interactions” (1). In the late Pleistocene and early Holocene period in the Middle East, houses started to become clustered, more than one story, larger, and square (Balbo et al.).

And sources

Balbo, Andrea L., Eneko Iriarte, Amaia Arranz, Lydia Zapata, Carla Lancelotti, Marco Madella, Luis Teira, Miguel Jiménez, Frank Braemer, and Juan José Ibáñez. "Squaring the Circle. Social and Environmental Implications of Pre-Pottery Neolithic Building Technology at Tell Qarassa (South Syria)."

Boivin, Nicole. "Life Rhythms and Floor Sequences: Excavating Time in Rural Rajasthan and Neolithic Qatalhoyuk."

Creese, John L. "Rethinking Early Village Development in Southern Ontario: Toward a History of Place-Making."

Helmer, Matthew, and David Chicoine. "Soundscapes and Community Organisation in Ancient Peru: Plaza Architecture at the Early Horizon Centre of Caylán."

Kidder, Tristram R., Haiwang Liu, and Minglin Li. "Sanyangzhuang: Early Farming and a Han Settlement Preserved beneath Yellow River Flood Deposits."

Márquez-Romero, José E., and Victor Jiménez-Jáime. "Monumental Ditched Enclosures in Southern Iberia (fourth-third Millennia BC)."

Scattolin, María Cristina, Leticia Inés Cortés, María Fabiana Bugliani, C. Marilin Calo, Lucas Pereyra Domingorena, Andrés D. Izeta, and Marisa Lazzari. "Built Landscapes of Everyday Life: A House in an Early Agricultural Village of North-western Argentina."

Schroeder, Sissel. "An Investigation of the Origins of Variation in Perishable Architecture at Jonathan Creek."

Thanks

There are lots of intriguing archaeological sites, but Gobekli Tepe is probably the most interesting site I know. After reading Steven Mithen's "After the Ice", I'd add Çatalhoyuk and Nevali Çori to the list.

Great Post, user.

Thanks guys! I just really love architecture and this kind of thing.

Pucc mesoamerican style.

>you will never live on the fringe between savagery and civilization, between furs and stone masons, with tight bodied nubile young women toned from manual labor

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,
it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
- Assyrian Stone Tablet, 2800BC

While I doubt that the quote is authentic, I have no doubt that the people thought the same back then too.

That quote is false, it's commonly attributed to Isaac Asimov. "Books" didn't exist until the Roman Empire.

It's towards the end of the Bronze age that you start to see religious literature that goes from being "Our gods are amazing and all powerful and that's why we conquered everything" to "life is bad! gods please save us!"

it is well documented that ancient Greeks thought of themselves as living in a degenerate age. They looked at the ancient Mycenaean ruins and couldn't fathom how they were constructed: they thought that golden age humans got the cyclops to build things for them.

I don't think that one is, there are similar ones around

The first that comes to mind is an Egyptian text from c.1991-1803 BC where a man complains about the bad conditions of society among other things, though I remember there being older similar Mesopotamian tablets:

>In the poem, Ipuwer – a name typical of the period 1850-1450 BCE – complains that the world has been turned upside-down: a woman who had not a single box now has furniture, a girl who looked at her face in the water now owns a mirror, while the once-rich man is now in rags. He demands that the Lord of All (a title which can be applied both to the king and to the creator sun-god) should destroy his enemies and remember his religious duties. This is followed by a violent description of disorder: there is no longer any respect for the law and even the king's burial inside the pyramid has been desecrated. The story continues with the description of better days until it abruptly ends due to the missing final part of the papyrus. It is likely that the poem concluded with a reply of the Lord of All, or prophesying the coming of a powerful king who would restore order.[

Well it did seem highly unlikely that people would write popular literature on clay tablets

He is wrong though, see:

And even older:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lament_for_Sumer_and_Ur

Those were poems represent the important first few steps towards literary introspection, but they are not the source of that supposed Assyrian tablet from 2800 BC.

Yes that's why I said that tablet is fake

They are however really old too and have similar themes

Kuelap in northern Peru, preinca Chachapoyas culture.

They build a 20m high 600x100m terrace on top of a mountain, using 700k m3 of stone, more than 3 times of the great pyramid.

They were conquered by the Inca shorty before the Spanish arrived and (with great resistance) integrated in the empire.
After the second conquista within a century (some of them sided with the Spanish), warfare, assimilation, displacement, subjugation and european diseases the Chachapoyas culture faded out of existence, leaving their structures to be overgrown by the highland jungle.

I got some OC of the site if someone is interested

I am

approaching from the south towards the east entrance

view down the east entrance

Did they use mortar of any kind?

wall between first and second level of the terrace with a llama for the tourists

nope, all dry stacked masonry

view down the west wall

Looks like Great Zimbabwe

well now that I about it, they filled it with earth, but not what we would call "mortar"

western entrance

reconstructed hut

just looked it up, I see what you mean. there is even the similar zigzag stone ornaments

what is most fascinating about this site is the scale. building a massive thing like that.
they must have spend centuries carrying stones up there, slowly raising the level of the settlement.

this is prehistoric?

Well 15th century AD but in remote Pacific.

inb4 incafag

well, in this case the Incas were indeed superior to the Chachapoyangutans

Test

Why ironcucks substituted the noble bronze and the sturdy stone for their god-awful grayish kitchen utensil tier of a metal?

Santu Antine, 1600 bc, the tower originally reached 23 meters

Incas already had a type of mortar, but Peru has high-energy seismic zones where your average building can get fucked up.

>every man wants to write a book
someone explain how this should be perceived as bad?

guys, how do I get started on prehistory architecture and societies? can anyone point me some anthropologists or something

>someone explain how this should be perceived as bad?
A lot of people deceive themselves out of ignorance and inflate egos into believing that they and their experiences are rather unique, and that everyone would benefit from reading about them, when , in most cases, they have common ideas that have been written to death before they were even born

This is true. But I want to write a book with nationalostic purposes. I want to contribute to the european replacement, my high IQ and my documents accumulated over the years will be published in 10 years from now or less.

>inb4 ironic banter
Your deal man, make sure whatyou write is atleast original
mind you, original doesnt mean different by itself, it means different and good, mmkay?

Oh yeah it's pretty much original. It's about Inca superiority.

I'm studying how german intellectuals reacted to mein kampf so I could use some of that int. If you can contribute, I'd really appreciate it.

>Inca superiority
I honestly was expecting a /pol/ like white supremacism input
that's rather fresh actually, I would like to read that. Im afraid I cant help you with the topics listed, if I knew some more maybe I could

>I want to contribute to the european replacement
what do you mean by this tho?

Do you believe in the current european replacement and extinction?

Europe will probably look something like Brazil by mid-century. America too, probably.

no
I dont hate my race, and I dont want/need to feel replaced
I dont want to replace them either though
I dont know why cultures must be like that. Nigga there are kids that just wanna be to themselves and not fuck with anybody, why can't there be nations that feel that way?

>why can't there be nations that feel that way?
Switzerland and Buthan

It won't happen. Other races suffer from low birth rates when they encounter the social-democrat system and western culture. It's a cancer.

site has been neglected
the most important archaeological site in the world - left in the open - rains washing it away

bits have even been stolen

It's more down to women rights. High standards of women rights mean low birth rate, low standard of women rights almost always show high birth rate.