Africa general

This thread is for the discussion of the history of Africa. I will start the thread off with a dump, but others are welcome to contribute as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

dskmariam.org/artsandlitreature/litreature/pdf/aksum.pdf
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6mz4AK-lTo6KOzj309JKOzssfFArBxiQ
youtube.com/watch?list=PL6mz4AK-lTo6KOzj309JKOzssfFArBxiQ&v=X75COneJ4w8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can anyone give me a rundown of the civs in East Africa? Who developed there?

Well, guess my dump can wait. Yeah, I can. Would you mind being a bit more specific? I know a lot about East African history, but I don't know where I'd start, since there is so much. In the meantime, have this picture of a Swahili home. This style of architecture goes back 700-800 years.

Here is another pic

This is what the inside of such a home may look like.

The Ethiopian area I suppose.

Pic related is an Arab depiction of Swahili sailors, renowned for their highly advanced boats and sailing techniques.

How far back? The "Ethiopian area" has a recorded history dating back thousands of years

I'll just continue my dump and answer any questions people may have, starting with West Africa. Pic related is a horse rider from the Nok people, an early Iron Age culture native to modern day Nigeria.

Sadly, not much is known about them.

Okay, enough on the Nok for now.

Pic related are the Wunmonije bronze heads, found in modern day Benin.

Many West African civilizations have a long, proud metalworking history.

Better view of some of the heads.

Pic related is a Yoruba palace. The Yorube people are the ones who created these bronze heads.

Eshu was here. Were you?

What?

Pic related is part of the Mande settlement Tichitt Walata, one of the oldest West African historical sites, built by a civilization believed to be the precursor of the Ghana empire.

WE

Africans had civilizations with kings as leaders, that is correct.

Pic related is one of many Axumite castles

Other castle, same architecture

Renowned by who? Have any primary sources on these people's from other groups?

Lol bait.

Oh my god these fucking /pol/cucks should be instabanned

Does anyone have any good resources for African history? I'm fine with anything really, I'm just trying to learn about the history of Africa in general and I can't seem to find any good resources beyond the generic postcolonial books that seem to focus more on the Western nations involved than Africa itself.

WUZ

UNESCO put out a series of books on African history all of it free and available in PDF form for download. I think there's 8 volumes but that would be a great place to start

more cavalry

Aksumite (Ethiopian) Kingdom

>The Kingdom of Aksum (also known as the Kingdom of Axum, or the Aksumite Empire) was an ancient kingdom located in present-day Eritrea and the Tigray Region of Ethiopia.[2] Ruled by the Aksumites, it existed from approximately 100 AD to 940 AD. The polity was centered in the city of Axum. It grew from the proto-Aksumite Iron Age period around the 4th century BC to achieve prominence by the 1st century AD, and became a major player on the commercial route between the Roman Empire and Ancient India. The Aksumite rulers facilitated trade by minting their own Aksumite currency, with the state establishing its hegemony over the declining Kingdom of Kush. It also regularly entered the politics of the kingdoms on the Arabian Peninsula, and eventually extended its rule over the region with the conquest of the Himyarite Kingdom. The Persian Prophet Mani (died 274 AD) regarded Axum as one of the four great powers of his time, alongside Persia, Rome, and China.[3][4]

>The Axumites erected a number of large stelae, which served a religious purpose in pre-Christian times. One of these granite columns is the largest such structure in the world, standing at 90 feet.[5] Under Ezana (fl. 320–360) Aksum adopted Christianity. In the 7th century, early Muslims from Mecca sought refuge from Quraysh persecution by travelling to the kingdom, a journey known in Islamic history as the First Hijra.[6][7]

Here is a book on Aksum but its honestly quite textbook-ish. still lots of good info though

>dskmariam.org/artsandlitreature/litreature/pdf/aksum.pdf

Is that a horse? Looks more like some sort of cow or goat.

Any info on the Islamization of Swahili? Were they animists before Islam came? Or Christian, like ?

I get that the Sahara made west african influence limited, but what west african tribes culture was the most influential back in the day? I am talking about art and inventions and stuff.

HOL UP

Africa - Basil Davidson: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6mz4AK-lTo6KOzj309JKOzssfFArBxiQ

Highly recommended as one of few worthwhile documentaries on African History.

thanks mate! Have a reaction image for your effort.

Ignore them, they feed on your responses

the Kongo had a crazy change when the Portuguese showed up. In exchange for the conversion of his people, the king received weapons from Europe. Using those weapons, they conquered troublesome neighbors. Those neighbors were sold to the Portuguese who welcomed the human cargo. The Christian and Pagan tension to a point where civil war broke out. The Royalist forces won the war and the Kongo remained a Christian ruled nation. The king's son went on to study in Europe, learn Latin and Portuguese, and ended up as the Catholic Bishop of Utica (Carthage).

I asked a genuine question based on your very vague statement. Still interested in the answer.

No, it's that he used retarded meaningless sound-good phrases like "renowned" and "highly advanced" without any time frame or real clarification as to what the fuck that actually means. And when I asked him what he did mean, I get called "le scary pol man". Joke of a thread

This shit is creepy.

What did she mean by this?

Can someone explain the extensive mask and Fetichism in West African art? It seems to begin and end at that. Nothing extends beyond tools for worship or festivities.

One of the coolest threads we've had in a long time

some Touareg jewelry croix d'Agadez (cross of Agadez) made out of silver

The real things are even creepier than the Hollywood depictions. Jesus Christ.

I like how the British display their plunder in a museum.

If they had left the items in their native country, the locals would have either let them rot or sold them on the black market during one the many revolutions and civil wars that occur there

This is a cool documentary on Africa if you guys are interested.

youtube.com/watch?list=PL6mz4AK-lTo6KOzj309JKOzssfFArBxiQ&v=X75COneJ4w8

If anyone needs an entry level African history book, I definitely recommend this one by Colin McEvedy. If you don't know anything about Africa's history it'll give you an overview of everything.

Those bronzes were owned by people though, people of power many of that shit plundered was owned and kept by people.

Also that
>revolutions and civil wars that occur there
doesn't apply to every place.

Hell most of the shit they took was used by the peep abroad to shit on Africans so it's not like they had proper interest asides form "look at this nignog shit Nigel".

Came for the kangz stayed for the bantz