Why do people continually forgot the importance of artillery in the battlefield?

Why do people continually forgot the importance of artillery in the battlefield?
Ever since the French brought them over to Italy in the 16th century theyve been a major player in warfare,and after the war of the Austrian succession theyve been the main contributor of battle casualty,you had 43% chance to survive a musket ball in the torso while you had 11% from artillery fragments

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting
youtube.com/watch?v=7BaSwaBPg6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No they dont
Its so obvious, that there isnt a lot to say about it.

>you had 43% chance to survive a musket ball in the torso while you had 11% from artillery fragments

What about an artillery ball in the torso?

>comparing big gun to several THOUSAND small guns
>>/k/

People still think that our boys in the ground need to come out and take land by their own rather than calling out some MLRS to demolish durkas
Infantry are nowadays just holding forces

Everyone who was deployed in the ME know US troops don't kill enemies anymore
They're basically a bait/hook force

>1. deploy ground troops in hostile area
>2 durkas come out of their hole and engage them
>3 ground troops take cover and shoot at the general direction at the enemy to keep them hooked
>4. air support arrives and kill durkas

Every engagement in the ME ever

We need to make warfare great again

Yes we need to, I want us to live and see a modern day version of a WWII artillery barrage. Thousands of M777s, M119s, M109s, M270s and HIMARS firing at the enemy. Glorious.

With the footage set to some bombastic classical music

Don't make weaponry powerful enough to stop a Tyranid invasion and then complain that you have no enemy worth using them on.

>Why do people continually forgot the importance of artillery in the battlefield?
It's okay to be dumb but not an artilleryman t. pioneer

>Why do people continually forgot...

It really makes me think...

Because most people only care about small arms

Something of the sort happened in Battle of 73 Easting

This basically happened in the Gulf War

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_73_Easting

>burgers and bongs roll their tanks across the desert
>engage in one of the biggest tank battles since WW2
>Iraqi tanks absolutely annihalated due to the fact that burgers and bongs have thermal optics allowing them to see everything at night and during the sandstorm
>"On 26 February 1991 British artillery units unleashed an hour long artillery strike on Iraqi positions. It was the greatest British artillery display since World War Two"
>spent the rest of the night roughly destroying 1 enemy tank every 2 minutes

It's the link I always enjoy posting when Ruskieboos talk about their shitty Cold War tanks and how they can "still compete with modern western tanks" (yes, people genuinely believe this).

Many of them were destroyed before they even saw the enemy, there's just nothing you can do when the enemy can see an extra kilometre or so further than you and they also have far more accurate cannons.

What's funny is that even IFVs scored kills, not only with TOWs but with their autocannons too.

>fighting involving arabs
>using this as an example against anybody else
they fuck up regardless of what sort of equipment they have
just look at the modern Iraqis who manage to lose M1 Abrams to ISIS close assault infantry with explosive charges because they can't figure out the idea of having infantry to

much slimmer than muskets,which projectile cauterizes the flesh when it penetrates
cannonball rolling down and skimming the surface would probably be mixed up with dirt thus even slight scratches would turn deadly
i want to see troopers form up a line,switch their rifles into semi autos and engage enemies ala Napoopan in line warfare
they'll probably get decimated by a single mg but the psychological awe of seeing such bravado must be immense

this
arab tankers only orders are to drive up straight into enemy line,they rarely traverse the turrets or utilize their commander hatch for spotting
ive heard iraqi tankers having a a 60 kilometer advance up to the iranian lines during the 1980 war
in normal circumstances this would be phenomenal to achieve a penetration that deep into enemy line but there was no follow up or attempt to strike the enemy strategic depth

>artillery in the battlefield?
ON the battlefield, you slav euronigger gypsy

they are in the battlefield
my trashy friend

I've heard that some people were shocked that the Iraqi army was defeated so quickly given their size. It makes be wonder what did think Saddam had before the Gulf War because in hindsight things were heavily rigged in the US and friends favor.

you cant have an effect IN something, you have an effect ON it, eastern european poverty stricken euronig convict slav gypsy

Allah SAW feels that Saddam and his martyr army was worthy of an early jannah

Norks must have gone "well fuck me" back then.

So Ukraine?

There was a very popular meme prior to the gulf war spread by Pierre Sprey (pic related), John Boyd, Riccioni et al which basically stated that high-tech weaponry would all break down in the heat of battle and that large numbers of cheap and simple weapons systems would be the only ones to survive in battle. Their ideas were adopted by a lot of US lawmakers as a way of seeming pro-military while seeking to cut military budgets as much as possible. Of course, the Gulf War effectively proved these ideas to be bullshit because T-72s were mown down in the hundreds.

Even Coalition forces didn't expect it to go that well. There were parts of the invasion that didn't even have to be implemented because the Iraqis just crumbled. They kept their shit conscripts on the front lines to sit in trenches and be bombarded for weeks by air strikes. Something like a 40% casualty/desertion rate at some points in the line as Saddam kept his Republican Guard behind the lines.

I think Saddam expected his front to get chewed up, but had faith in his elite forces to slow the invasion and stack up enough casualties on the Coalition's side to grind it to a stand still.

Check out Stormin Norman's press debrief during/right after the invasion. The Burgers were themselves surprised by how smoothly things had gone. They spent weeks developing the most comprehensive logistics chain and stockpiles in the late 20th century. They expected a fight.

>1990-91 Gulf War briefing General Norman Schwarzkopf part 1
youtube.com/watch?v=7BaSwaBPg6M

I do that all the time in Battlefield 2