Do Turks still even give a shit about Northern Cyprus anymore nowadays, or is it just a vestige of the 1974 coup...

Do Turks still even give a shit about Northern Cyprus anymore nowadays, or is it just a vestige of the 1974 coup? What the hell did Turkey ever really have to gain by taking the island anyway?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus_Missile_Crisis
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not having it fall into Greek hands.

Of course they do. Why do you think the UN gurads the "border"?

And how would that be bad?

I'll be honest. I'm a half-drunk American who only learned that this dispute even existed like half an hour ago. The Wiki made it sound like some Cold War era relic that Turkey leaves a standing army around because both sides refuse to move on, but it appears that nothing of significance has happened in decades. So I was curious if younger Turks/Cypriots even cared anymore?

Turks care about ANYTHING that has an air of nationalist pride attached to it.

sounds like theyre compensating desu

t.Greek here.
Cypriots care very much, I can tell you that. Greeks are split between caring and bullying the Cypriots about it, Turks, well I don't really know, I guess they are proud or something.
Do know this, both sides commited atrocities.

Also, fun fact, the Rizokarpaso village you see at the peninsula is still Greek, yet Turks haven't removed them.

That t. shit is bad enough without being misused like that.

I just wanted to say it outright, just in case anyone called me out. Better to say it than not, when it comes to these subjects, at least.

t. loser

Greek and Turkey aren't exactly friends, giving Turks a flank at your southern border wouldn't be pleasant for Turkey. It would also turn the major Turkish minority into a minor Turkish majority which would risk jeopardizing their situation.
t.geopolitics wannabe

>Greek and Turkey aren't exactly friends

yes they are - pay less attention to loud retards LARPING as nationalists

>giving Turks a flank at your southern border wouldn't be pleasant for Turkey. It would also turn the major Turkish minority into a minor Turkish majority which would risk jeopardizing their situation.

none of this makes sense

I'm a Turkish Australian and I rarely think about and am not really sure why we're even there. My dad is annoyed about because he thinks it goes against the Atatürk quote of not harming another nations sovereignty.

Lel my father was UN peacekeeper in Cyprus in the 70s, almost married a Cypriote cutie.

mate wheres a good place to get a fucking good halal snack pack?

Idk Lakemba? My family barely cares about halal since dads an atheist

>thinking a Kemalist would eat halal food

This is why everyone thinks (rightfully) strayans are dumb

t. doesnt know what HSP is

Dont fucking roast cunts on topics you dont know shit about, it makes you look like a dumb cunt
also how is the first guy a t*rk without ever going to a kebab store, fucking disgusting

>after the invasion the Turks displaced the Cypriots from their homes in the north and resettled Anatolian Turks there instead
sounds like conquest to me OP

fun fact: some Turkish comic artist satirized the situation presenting criminals and other lowly-scum as "tourists" that are brought into north Cyprus by some admiral, you know what kind of reaction this caused

Because falling into Turkish hands was a better solution.

Cypriot here, going to another war isn't beneficial for us especially when we have no aerial and naval forces. Here's a little fun fact though, we almost got into war again two decades ago. Almost.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus_Missile_Crisis

>chimp out and start ethnic cleansing campaign
>Turkey intervened to support and save Turks
>oh no devil Turks occupy our Cyprus eu pls help gib money

>>chimp out and start ethnic cleansing campaign
nice Turkish education there
Greek Cypriots were fighting amongst themselves just as much they've been fighting Turk Cypriots

We wanted our turn, no fun if you get to kill everyone man.

>ethnic cleansing
More like pest control.

This is the view from south, true shitposting right here

>Turks then complain why the south doesn't want to reunite

>proceed to throw hissy fit when people call you out on your shitposting
You did this on the Armenians too. Why?

Shitposting is a local tradition, here is an armenian version

We truly are a doomed area

Nice false facts.
An island that had been greek for over 3k years gets an important minority of turks and then Turkey invades it because Cyprus was going to unify with Greece like they should have done before.

Kemalism isn't atheism though.
most kemalists are muslim.

Turks are really secular though.