Is this an accurate representation of what Eastern Orthodox believe about God...

Is this an accurate representation of what Eastern Orthodox believe about God? How does this even work with divine simplicity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2DZbXf0Fyn0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yes chrisitians get easily upset about the result of contemplation and they need to invent an interpretation where the human does not become one with god, contrary to hindus, because humans are too impure and their god is too pure.
Chrsitians claim that is it the energy of god that is felt during the contemplation.

Both hindus and christians are wrong and cling to spooks, but Christians are even worse than hindus about achieving contemplative states.

Who actually gives a shit about purity/impurity? Do people go around saying "CLEANSE THE IMPURE!!!!!!"? I've never seen that.

Humans were created specifically to not be a part of God. You choose to follow God's will because you want to, because you agree with God, through your experiences on Earth you learn and discover God's truth.

>How does this even work with divine simplicity?
It doesn't, hence why they deny that ancient doctrine

I've seen it argued that simplicity applies to the substance (ousia) of God.

Simplicity applies to God. It is the question of whether God is composite or simple. The reason is that if God was made up of things, those things would have to pre-exist God, in order to "make" God when combined.

Yes, but I have seen Orthodox argue that this only applies to his substance.

They argue falsely, for the reason I just pointed out. Simplicity is on or off, there is no in between, either God is absolutely simple, or fully composite.

But the ousia is the sun, and the energeia are the rays.

No. This is what Eastern Orthodox believe about Jesus, i.e. God.

The rays are not the sun

I know, but the ray come forth from God, the rays don't need to exist to make God God.

>applying your petty mortal logic onto God
>incorrectly
They are an aspect of the sun, which radiate from the sun, and could not exist without the sun.

I audibly shouted

The rays are also not within the sun. They proceed from, and are distinct from, the sun. So if the energies are the rays and the essence is the sun, then the energies are outside of God. But the Greeks believe God possesses these energies.
>>applying your petty mortal logic onto God
My reason was created by God, God, being perfect, would not wish to deceive me.

But it's impossible to know anything about God unless we have access to his energies.

user, what are these energies?

God’s energies are His working in this created world, His activity, His operation. God’s energies are His presence among us and in us. The Energies are what we actually can see God doing. His energies are sometimes identified with His glory, His grace, the uncreated light.

That is just the manifestation of the divine essence.

first for jhanas

>all this argument about how we can experience God

Man, monotheism just seems incompatible with a personal God. Honestly, Deism and Pan(en)theism offer such better answers. Deism has a truly monotheistic God who you can't directly experience, which solves an innumerable number of problems. Panentheism allows one to accept that you're part of the divine, and so personal transcendent experiences make far more sense. Pure pantheism is like "existence is God" so you can transcend as much as you want.

Or you go for an absolute principal like the Tao or Brahman which isn't explicitly a mind. In fact these concepts seem much more insightful to me since they transcend the idea of "mind", why would God be bound by consciousness?

Or you can go full materialism and think that non-divine process drive everything, and that transcendence is an individual, subjective experience. So, you experience transcendence but it only tells you about your own mind rather than existence at large.

Compared to all this, Christianity just seems like a spiritual dead end, especially because real transcendence (being in the presence of God) only happens after death, so life is just a prep stage where you achieve faith and obedience to God but nothing more because of the "fallen world".

Are you retarded? Did you not read anything written here?

We can only know God through his energies.

That's exactly what I wrote about. According to the Catholic view you can't even experience God directly, the Eastern Orthodox view requies a subset of God that isn't totally God that you can kind of partake in. There's all this wrangling to explain how one can even personally experience the Christian idea of God, when there are far more straightforward explanations with a lotof explanatory power.

In Catholic theology you can, in their theology his manifestations is his essence. Orthodox take a more subset approach.

When God created the world, was this act separate from His power? No, it was the manifestation of His power.

Which is his energies.

This literally gave me aids

Do you think these "energies" are properties possessed by God?

Wholly unknowable in His essence, God wholly reveals Himself in His energies, which yet in no way divide His nature into two parts–knowable and unknowable–but signify two different modes of the divine existence, in the essence and outside of the essence. This is a central doctrine of the Orthodox Church. God exist as three hypostases, the nature or essence, and the energies. The Son and the Holy Spirit are, so to say, personal processions, the energies natural processions. The energies are inseparable from the nature, and the nature is inseparable from the three Persons.

>God exist as three hypostases, the nature or essence, and the energies
Well, then the Greek view is that God is composed of three parts; the persons, the divine genus, and energies. So you believe that Godness is made up of triunity, deity, and energy.

>My reason was created by God,
And perverted through the years, you idiot.

You're intentionally being retarded, if you actually read that you'll know that's not what I said. You also seem now to be blaspheming the Trinity, unitarians like you go to hell.

>You're intentionally being retarded, if you actually read that you'll know that's not what I said
No I think it is. The source of our confusion has been that I understood you to understand the creator-creation divide, and that God's essence is not a genus, an abstract object in which many concrete objects may participate. But clearly by your statements your understanding is that deity is an abstract object, and God a concrete object, the only being participating in that form. You see, I possess human essence, I doubt you'll dispute that, but I also possess a whatness unique to myself, "meness". Part of this essence is the human essence, that which is not human is by definition, not me. So necessarily "Godness" (the particular of God) and "deity" (the universal of the divine genus) are distinct in your view, since there are things which are true of God but not deity. Hence, God is composed of three parts: triunity (the threeness of person), deity (the simple essence), and energy (the operations of the being).
>You also seem now to be blaspheming the Trinity
How so?
>unitarians like you go to hell.
What makes you think I am a Unitarian?

No. And I am not even Orthodox

Thanks for reminding me how disgusting Constantine is.

>lust is sinful
never understood this thing about Christianity and other similar religions
why is lust supposed to be bad? what the fuck is wrong with these people?

>REEEEE HOW DARE THEY CRITICIZE MY ENDLESS NEED FOR STRANGE PUSSY (EVEN THOUGH IM INCEL) REEEEEE

Because competition for women has a tendency to dissolve the bonds of friendship and unanimity between men.

Not to mention plain experience should show the vast amount of deceit and corruption that surrounds such competition. Families can be shattered and dissolved over a single incidence of "lust" between two people, in spite of vows they made to another person at home.

But also remember that most religions seek to pacify a person's "sins"/negative traits because they become a powerful force for social dissolution, if left unchecked.

Lust has with it a component that you are going to go out and get the object you are lusting after, the person in this case, with or without their permission.

So given infinite time and infinite power, you would rape everyone you lust after.

Hence lust is a sin, and like all sins, begins in the heart.

The strong sexual attraction you feel for your spouse is not lust.

>God is incapable of maintaining anything.

Why would He maintain what you reject?

"The senses, the mind and the intelligence are the sitting places of this lust. Through them lust covers the real knowledge of the living entity and bewilders him"

>cling to spooks
cling to a noose you fucking faggot

wisdom flickshots

>muh essence
Does that mean that you can't possibly prove the existence of God?

>>The strong sexual attraction you feel for your spouse is not lust.
lel

(*except to yourself)

>"accurate representation"

Surely you realize how oxymoronic this phrase is.

What?

How can you prove the existence of something you can't know/comprehend for yourself let alone other people?

How do we make Christians good at meditation?

>user, what are these energies?
>But it's impossible to know anything about God unless we have access to his energies.

I'm the Son of God and can point out numerous empirical manifestations of God.

youtube.com/watch?v=2DZbXf0Fyn0

euphoric

fag

ITS DOESNT MAKE SENSE TO ME SO ITS LE WRONG
Typical redditor/muslim argument.
>muh raisins and long-wided pseud argument with no actual substance
The 'enlightenment' was a mistake, as were Americans.