If Bulgaria and Serbia reclaimed their medieval names after their liberation from the Ottoman empire why couldn't the...

If Bulgaria and Serbia reclaimed their medieval names after their liberation from the Ottoman empire why couldn't the Byzantines do the same?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikiwand.com/en/Lemnos#/Modern_period
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>what is Romania

It'd be a bit hard without holding their namesake city

Oh boy here we go

Because it'd be rather hilarious for Greeks to declare themselves the Roman empire without having any tangible continuity from it like Eastern Roman empire had.

But then again neither do the modern Bulgarians and Serbians to their respected medieval states

They were still Serbs and Bulgarians. Not a single Roman in Greece.

Greek independence was founded on the cultivation of a "Hellenic" identity rather than a Roman one. Truth be told I don't know where it came from- western classicists spreading the Athens meme among them to undermine Ottoman authority maybe??? Idk.
The Roman identity DID survive, but largely on the periphery and in isolated island communities less affected by Ottoman or western influence.

There is that one famous account of Greek soldiers taking an island and meeting local kids, whose reaction is basically "What the fuck is a Hellene?" The soldiers told them they were Hellenes too, to which they responded "No, we're Romans."

The great irony of it all being that modern Greeks owe far more, culturally speaking, to the late Roman era than to the Classical era.

>Truth be told I don't know where it came from- western classicists spreading the Athens meme among them to undermine Ottoman authority maybe
Think I read somewhere the only reason Athens became the capital as opposed to Thessaloniki is because the Brits were all "muh Classical age"

Haha what

Wherever you read that it's 100% bullshit.

Many Greeks called themselves Romans until recently. Other peoples call Greeks Romans too, most prominently the Turks; they use the term 'Rumlar' which means Romans to refer to the Greek ethnos as a whole (as opposed to 'Yunanlar' ie Ionians which refers to the Greeks of Greece)

Think it was /int/, but it doesn't sound too off the mark

Don't even start it

Also OP, remember all three groups gained independence on a wave of ethnic nationalism. Serbia=land of the serbs. Bulgaria=land of the romans. Greece=Land of the Greeks.

Byzantium/LRE was a multiethnic empire ruling different peoples in different lands. Nobody in the 19th century was interested in a Greek-led empire, just reclaiming Greek clay.

Also, again, the most important benefactors of 19th-century Hellenism were western powers. Western historians had long written off the LRE as a degenerate and decadent polity (the name Byzantium itself was a German invention meant to downplay their Romanness), as opposed to classical Greece, to which the westerners made a claim of cultural heritage.

The western powers had absolutely nothing to gain from a resurgent Byzantium. They wanted to create puppet states and colonize in the region, not birth new imperial rivals. Think about it- Byzantium was a power whose culture was as different from the western europeans of its day as it was from the Muslims, and her collapse was a much a product of Latin Christian incursion and betrayal as it was of Islamic assaults. It also would have reinforced Greek loyalty to Orthodoxy, and put them more deeply in the Russian sphere of influence (and the Russians WERE supporters of Greek independence even while the British and French were still Ottoman allies) The westerners, especially the British, did not want this. They wanted to say "Look, Greek, you are western, like us. Your heritage is Athens, democracy. Join us."

Hope this helps OP.

Thessaloniki was never considered to be the capital of Greece though.
By the way Athens was the third capital of independent Greece after ottoman rule: The island of Aegina and the City of Nauplio were first and second respectively.

>why aren't these ethnicity-based states same as multiethnic empire

gee i wonder

Bulgaria isn't the land of Romans by a long fucking shot

Shit lmao by bad, was rewriting that sentence from something about Greece not being land of the romans.

Wish you could retroactively edit posts on Veeky Forums.

*bulgaria=land of the bulgarians

>without having any tangible continuity from it like Eastern Roman empire had.
There's a reason why after the 4th crusade broke apart the ERE, other than the crusader states there were the Hellenic ones (Nicaea, Epirus, Trebizond) in its place. An interesting fun fact is that those states also began anknowledging themselves as Greeks until Nicaea reclaimed Constantinople.

>On 8 October 1912, during the First Balkan War, Lemnos became part of Greece. The Greek navy under Rear Admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis took it over without any casualties from the occupying Turkish Ottoman garrison, who were returned to Anatolia. Peter Charanis, born on the island in 1908 and later a professor of Byzantine history at Rutgers University recounts when the island was occupied and Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of the children ran to see what Greek soldiers looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ the children replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ a soldier retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans."[17]

wikiwand.com/en/Lemnos#/Modern_period

It fucking hurts holy shit.

My professor of Greek language told me that you could still hear people in backwards villages in Greece calling themselves Romaioi. Could never verify it though.

bc I am Greek

t. Ik*bey

Thessaloniki was almost directly on the border between independent Greece and Ottoman Macedonia, putting the capital there would be pants on head retarded

I think we still refer to ourselves as Romans occasionally. Ρωμιοσύνη is the term we use.

In the Ottoman Empire, people tended to name themselves after their 'culture' or their religious affiliation. The word "Roman" has strong religious connotations even in English, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was suppressed by nationalists and secularists. You can see the same phenomenon throughout Eastern Europe and the Middle East.

SPAIN FRANCE AND ITALY ARE THE TRUE SUCCESORS OF ROME AND WE, THEIR SONS WILL RECLAME THE EMPIRE'S THRONE.

ANGLOS AND G*ERMANS PREPARE YOUR DIRTY WHITE BOIPUSSIS

Where does the term Greek come from?

Unknown, but ultimately Greek origin. It was made widespread because that's name the Romans adopted for them.

iirc the first greek tribe the romans encountered was the graikoi or something
the name got stuck