Who do Hungarians cry about muh Trianon when they were a minority in their own political entity?

Who do Hungarians cry about muh Trianon when they were a minority in their own political entity?

They even hilariously failed at assimilation of non-Hungarians because no one wanted to bother learning their alien language, even despite constant threats and pressures.

Other urls found in this thread:

gumilev-center.ru/29287/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well Hungary wasn't supposed to be an ethnic state to begin with. For over 900 years, it was a multiethnic entity, then Magyars went full retard and decided everyone needs to be magyarized, and it backfired on them.

Teach me about the Magyars Veeky Forums. How did they meme themselves into an equal status with the Austrians?

>Who do Hungarians cry about muh Trianon
But do they really? Or is that just a meme?

Austrian army was in shambles after Königgrätz and they knew they wouldn't be able to quell an eventual Hungarian uprising, so they created the abortion that was the Ausgleich.

sperging out or threats of sperging out at the right places and times

True. What's more it was the Hungarian nobility of all things that forced Magyarization. They even coined a meme term "political nation" so that everyone could be Hungarians even if they weren't ethnically.

1848 really did a number on Hungarian autism.
Negotiating and compromises. Hungarian nobility was a powerful factor in Austria and court in Vienna constantly had to have them in mind or they'd risk another 1848.
They do.

If two thirds of my country, which had stood ins a similar shaped for almost a millenium, were lost to your neighbors ina recent-ish war i would be butthurt too

Croatia and Hungary were in a personal union. Croatia was not "in Hungary".

>They even coined a meme term "political nation" so that everyone could be Hungarians even if they weren't ethnically.
That's standard 19th century nationalism. Most countries did the same, it's how modern ethnic borders were born, to a certain degree.

It's not 19th century nationalism, it was Hungarian nationalism for centuries, dating back to 16th century. 19th century was when it was changed.
>The Latin term Natio Hungarica ("Hungarian nation") was used to designate the political elite which had participation in the diet, consisting of the nobility, the Catholic clergy, and a few enfranchised burghers, regardless of language or ethnicity. Natio Hungarica was a geographic, institutional and juridico-political category.

Croatia was part of the lands of the Crown of Saint Stephen.
We're not talking about Tucsans becoming Italians or Burgundians becoming Frenchmen. We're talking about Slavs and Romanians becoming fucking Hungarians.

>lands of the Crown of Saint Stephen.
Emphasis on the "Lands" being plural.

>this territory was officially defined as "a state union of Kingdom of Hungary and Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia"
Croatia always had a special status distinguishing it from Hungary.

>We're not talking about Tucsans becoming Italians or Burgundians becoming Frenchmen
>We're talking about Slavs and Romanians becoming fucking Hungarians.
I was talking about Slavs, Romanians, Turks and Albanians becoming Greek, for example. A lot of states were trying to convert all all minor ethnic elements into the major one. Germanisation was also a thing during Austria-Hungary.

>Hungary fears the menace of panslavism
>panslavism is completely minor in Slovakia and Croatia and nobody gives a fuck about it there
>Magyars decide to magyarize everyone to prevent a panslavist takeover
>ironically this causes huge butthurt especially among Slavic noblemen and panslavism actually becomes a big threat as a reaction to this shit
They couldn't have bungled it up any harder if they tried.

>They even hilariously failed at assimilation of non-Hungarians because no one wanted to bother learning their alien language

Now that you mention it, why did they keep they their spurdo language instead of becoming slavs generating a slavic "hungarian"? Like what happened in Bulgaria. Is it geography?

See

by a series of historical accidents and some tactical chimp outs on the hungarian part, the hungarians always were able to preserve their independence from habsburg domination of their politics as the habsburgs were able to do is modern day czech republic i.e. bohemia and moravia. With each hungarian avoidance of centralization the more their identity based on special privileges liberties and autonomy from the habsburgs became ingrained in hungarian identity, and so the more vocal and willing to resist any hint of absolutism from habsburgs. This caused eternal butthurt and scheming among the habsburgs but ironically when the Austrians were most in need in the War of the Austrian Succession the Hungarians rallied around Maria Theresa but they were able to confirm and wrangle out even more concessions from the monarch for their support kek

Germanisation was neve really forceful and it was primarily an urban thing. It never caught on outside towns because German was a lingua franca among educated, urban middle classes. Hungarians however tried to Magyarize entire population, both urban and rural, and by forceful decrees.

hungarians are really proud of their
> WE WUZ HUNZ

They love larping as turks so much they started hosting kurultai -- gathering of all turkic people:
gumilev-center.ru/29287/

>Germanisation was also a thing during Austria-Hungary.
No, it was a thing during Bach's Absolutism which was before Austria-Hungary.

>meme event that nobody attends
The turulfaggotry in Hungary is way overblown.

So speaking hungarian is a modern fashion? Was it revived? I'm asking why the language survived, middle ages included, when others in similar situations didn't.

>So speaking hungarian is a modern fashion? Was it revived?
I have no idea how you managed to conclude that from my post.

>How did they meme themselves into an equal status with the Austrians?
Well, they revolted in 1848, seemed to be successful until the Austrians cried to the Russians who killed the revolt. May or may not have ruined the country in the process.

Then in the 1860's, the Prussians beat the shit out of the Austrians and the Magyars look like they're about to revolt again. Austria-Hungary becomes a thing to avoid a 2nd civil war.

Because the Hungarian core was probably sparsely populated and not filled with Slavs, rather it'd be filled with Avars. The Slavic contingent would be Slavonia and Slovakia, with parts of the adjoining territory near Austria.

It's also difficult to say what the demographics had been like in the past; that whole Ottoman invasion of the Balkans and the Austro-Ottoman wars made lots of people move around. Northern Serbia, for example, was probably not predominantly Serbian until Serbia ceased to exist. Transylvania, similarly, might've seen a de-magyarization and an influx of Vlachs from Wallachia, Moldavia, and Bucovina. The Mongol invasion that raised everything that wasn't built with stone didn't help either.

>question is about a centuries long period
>awnser (both of them) is about a very recent and specific time

I mean that part about speaking Hungarian being a modern fashion. How the fuck did you arrive at that conclusion?

ITT: butthurt slavshits and romas

look at the map idiots, places with hungarian majority were taken away, magyarization is a meme, there was a law that made sure minorities can get education in their language if they are at least 20% of the local population

ppl in this thread are spouting the mental illness that is panslavism and WE WUZ ROMANS

quite good

Nobody is defending panslavism here.

But you're a slavshit, Laszlo.

they weren't a minority, they were over 50%

not in most of the territories lost in Trianon. I think that's what OP meant

Two things
>Hungarians made up 54% of the population at the time of dissolution
>Magyarization was succesful, as they went from 40% in 1890 to 54% in 1918, in other words, their population was growing faster than the kingdom as a whole

Because the modern borders failed to reflect ethnic boudnaries.

Its really simple to see by looking at any map, I don't understand why slavshits and vlachs are incapable of realising this.

Even today, if I cross the border, 3 out of 5 tiems the majority will understand my language.

Because in Bulgaria really only the elite was Bulgarian-Turkic, while with Hungarians a very sizeable Hungarian population migrated into the Pannonian basin too, whom quickyl assimilated the sparce slavic-avar population, while the mountainous fringes hosted the other ethnicites whom with Magyars didnt mix much.

we didn't remove gulyás properly

>very sizeable Hungarian population migrated into the Pannonian basin
not really. unless they perished during mongol raids.

But the amount of territory that was taken is still unfair. your map also proves it op

>be Austria
>loses world war
>still gets some clay from their closest ally
eh

Yes really. The sheer richness of X. century finds demonstrate this.

Don't know about other places but you'd have to travel a fair bit into transylvania to find hungarians.

Nope. Please don't comment when you are so unknowledged, thanks.

3.3 million Hungarians were left outside of Hungary, of course they are going to be butthurt.

>Don't comment
>I litteraly live there
There's a few shitty villages and that's it, only area with any significant hungarian population is tărâmul Secuiesc and that's smack dab in the middle of transilvania.