How do you traditionally spell Czar, or is it Tsar? Tell me Veeky Forums

How do you traditionally spell Czar, or is it Tsar? Tell me Veeky Forums.

Tsar is straight from Russian.

Czar comes from Caesar.

Tsar is right spelling.

Translating Russian to English isn't an exact science. You just spell it however you think makes the most sense phonetically. No matter how you spell it, "Czar" or "Tsar" it is a essentially "Caesar" but with a Russian accent.

For me it's Tsaar, the best way to spell it

ur a buttheade

No I'm Dutch

Explain to me why the leader of Russia is still called "Tsar" even after Peter the Great abolished the Tsardom in 1721. Or was that just a bait-and-switch?

For me Tyrant is the best way to spell it.

Цapь

aa aa aa aa aa aa aa aa

I use "Tsar" because that's how it's phonetically used. The "T" isn't silent, the Russian letter that begins the word is pronounced "ts" as in "lets".

And a Veeky Forums regular?

Kaiser

The leader of Russia was called Emperor, I notice englishmen here never ever use this title and prefer calling them Tsars for some reason.
Here full title: "By the Grace of God, We Nicholas, Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod; Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, Tsar of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Tauric Chersonesus, Lord of Pskov, and Grand Prince of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland; Prince of Estonia, Livonia, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Bielostok, Karelia, Tver, Yugor, Perm, Vyatka, Bogar and others; Sovereign and Grand Prince of Nizhni Novgorod, Chernigov, Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Jaroslavl, Beloozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislav, and Ruler of all the Severian country; Sovereign and Lord of Iveria, Kartalinia, the Kabardian lands and Armenian province: hereditary Sovereign and Possessor of the Circassian and Mountain Princes and of others; Sovereign of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, and Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth."

Tsar just means emperor and was a traditional title of Orthodox rulers because of its association with the Byzantines. However, Peter the Great also took on the title of Imperator.

Kill yourself dutchie

Same reason we call the German emperor "Kaiser", and the Turkish one "Sultan". It's nice local flavor.

The first letter is "Tse" which is essentially the "Ts" sound but it doesn't really matter.

It's because it sounds cooler. Arab kings are called Sultans (although some of them now call themselves kings because of westernization), the Emperor of the Inca Empire as Inca, the emperor of the Ottoman Empire as Padishah, Voivod as someone who governs a voivodeship, etc.

>Tsar is straight from Russian.

Please transliterate Цapь

Tzar

slav here. To my alphabet it would be 'car' but of course we read it different. 'Tsar' is closer to it than 'czar' though.

This is probably why both Czar and Tsar are considered "correct", there's no one-to-one transliteration possible. No-one even TRIES to translate the "soft sign", it should be something closer to "tsary".

>not transliterating it as C'sar

'Czar' makes it sound like Alex Jones is saying it.
(Pollack here)

Right, within the context of the English language.

For most Slavs, "czar" sounds like Tz-zar (or roughly Caeser without the first vowel sound), and certainly distinct from the Russian Цapь. Tsar is a reasonably accurate approximation.

A quick google says that it is "also wrongly spelled csar, or czar".

>A quick google says that it is "also wrongly spelled csar, or czar".
Wrongly on any basis in the laws of language, sure, but it's an accepted spelling in America so it's "rightly" spellt that way there.

Why do you give a shit? Russian tsars/czars were pretty pathetic

>t.tankie

Not even a tankie, just telling it like it was. Notice that I never implied bolsheviks were better

>tsars were germanophile fucktards who were only good for brutal oppression
>commies were Marxist (German ideology) fucktards who were only good for brutal oppression

The only differences are cosmetic, and the Tsars get more points for style.

Tsar is from Caesar

Czar sounds like Hungarian spelling.

>germanophile
Not true. Alexander II was the last germanophile.

Its Car.

Tsar, Czar, and Kaiser are all from Caesar, you brainlet