What part of the armor is this rusted piece a part of? The seller claims that it's from the 16th century, is this legit?

What part of the armor is this rusted piece a part of? The seller claims that it's from the 16th century, is this legit?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Heart#History_of_the_devotion
youtube.com/watch?v=1XGS_Slqb_A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

And what's with the heart shape?

why do you want this? you can't wear it and it will fall apart any minute now.

It's cheap and still a piece of history I can own.

It looks more like scraps from some sort of pig iron container than a piece of armor. I think you got duped

Nigga go to a battlefield with a metal detector. Whole pieces were picked clean hours after the battle but a lot of broken shit like this got left behind. Go find your own

It's a brigadine.

Having fabric (typically linen, sometimes canvass) or leather over armor was relatively common in the 14th century (source: one of Knyght Errant's videos). I've never heard of it for 16th, but I'm hardly the end-all be-all authority on medieval armor.

Are you sure? Bump for more opinions

So gay

I'm very sceptical that these are from the same item.

the larger individual part (with heart and ^ shape) is ropey as fuck. I wouldnt touch it with a bargepole. it doesnt look like any armour piece I've handled. (and while this may be a turkmenistani carpet-weaving forum, I have handled a fair few originals...). it might be a tasset, in which case, a very late 16th or early 17th C date is possible. But its pinging all the wrong ways in my gut instinct.

the lower part, the 3-5 strips (lames) on the other hand? That _is_ interesting. Where this is for sale is the first question mark - the archaeological context of its find-place is important.
Is it 16th C? I'm not 100% convinced. It could, possibly be slightly older, very late 15th C italian export. The little scallops on the rivet areas is a very italianesque detail.

what is certain is the condition is utterly fucked, and it needs conservation and protective wax.

forgot, if it is italian export, that part is the fauld, the skirt-like part on the waist. bottom of this pic of an italian export harness, probably 1480's to 1500 in date.

the part with the heart? I honestly have no idea what that is meant to be -hence my scepticism.

Thanks for the info. It's a US seller who has no idea of the history either and got it from an estate sale with some other unrelated antiques as well. Think I'd be overpaying $300 for it?

very much so, no idea of authenticity, and you can actually buy some decent stuff for $300.

Where? Finding authentic armor in the US is almost impossible. Hell, there's only 3 museums in the entire US that even has armor on display.

>Think I'd be overpaying $300 for it?

I wouldnt pay anything for the heart part.

I would pay maybe 200 for the possible fauld, on grounds that it has no provenance, and requires conservation.

As such it *may* be a very late 15th C italian export fauld. or it might be a victorian fake.

>pig iron
memes

is it really that easy ? i live in an area of europe with extensive medieval activity, basically right next door

No. Not in the slightest. Battlefield finds are exceptionally rare even for archaeological digs.

suspected that. with the price of armor, i dont think anything was left behind anyway

>hurr why is there a heart
If it's legit it's most likely the catholic symbol
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Heart#History_of_the_devotion

youtube.com/watch?v=1XGS_Slqb_A

It's not easy, but it's hell of a lot more gratifying. If you find anything big though you have to give it away or at least in my country risk being absolutely sued out of the clothes on your back. A friend of who does that sort of thing for living found a silver goblet inscribed with emperor Justinian and Theodora's names. Motherfucker kept it for 2 days before turning it in and said he was scared the shit out of being found in possession of it. Me, well the nicest thing i've found was the crossguard of a Xth-XIth century saber

have fun tripping on a mine