I lost my faith four months ago and since then my life has been a living hell...

I lost my faith four months ago and since then my life has been a living hell. All of my anxieties have come back in full force and everything feels entirely hopeless. I've always hated the way I look, so having an actual purpose has always been incredibly important to me. Without Christianity, life doesn't seem worth living. And now it feels like God is calling me back to him.

The reason I became a deist was because I had a lot of doubts about whether Jesus came back for the gentiles after reading Matthew for the first time. Then I was convinced after reading that there a lot of archaeological contradictions between nature and the old testament.

My question is if it's possible for me to have faith that doesn't waver? Are there any books that might help me? I've already read Mere Christianity and I didn't feel that it was very insightful or reassuring :(

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9QageVk0vAQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>archaeology
You're a STEMsperg, already too far gone from Grace.

You really hadn't read Matthew all that time?
Also try Kierkegaard.

Is this a usual tip-off that people are involved in STEM? I'm getting a degree in computer science
:(
I'm 18 and only became a dedicated Christian when I was around 16. I was reading the whole Bible in chronological order.

Doubt is a normal part of faith and nothing to be ashamed of; there is a reason why even the apostle Thomas wanted to feel Christ's wounds. As far as books you might try Timothy Keller's "The Reason for God" or Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ." I recommend Strobel because his book is about his conversion from atheism that occurred during his investigation of the historical Jesus. Keep searching OP!

>Seek and ye shall find

Yes, it is. STEMspergs are inherently unable to find God sincerely. You're deluded by the Antichrist.

Stop lying.

He's an atheist. Insincere faith. Deists are atheists without the gonads to admit they are atheists.

The whole purpose of this thread is that OP is still working out his beliefs and is looking for guidance.

Too late.

>implying

The first step of rejecting faith is to search frantically for a satisfying proof. You've already established, via modern historical and scientific methods that mainstream Christianity is incompatible with reality., and you want to circumvent this

The only answer Orthodox Chirsitnity can give you is that it is a matter of faith, or we have these miracles so the rest must be true.

This will likely not satisfy you unless you really want to believe.

Your best off embracing what you really believe rather than grasping.

Distributist is in engineering and he is one of the most devout people I know.

OP, christ loves you always. Imo finding Him through logos is the greatest way to. Try listening to some of Jordan peterson's lectures and look at apologia in addition to what archeological evidence you are looking at. Remember that christ and god ascend this material world.

My family is christian, but I use that very loosely. They're the type that believes in all of the mantra without the church-going, and not very many of them read the bible or pray regularly. And yet, they still believe, and still they have faith.

I've been going to Uni for a degree in History and minors in Historic Preservation and Physical Anthropology, along the way I myself lost faith and found it again with a less-practicing, more revering, form of Norse paganism (the non neo-nazi cuck kind, as in actually reading the damn eddas and sagas).

Sorry for the minor digression, but the main point is: Faith can ebb and flow, you can be one thing one moment and something else entirely the next. Or, you can practice and seek information in your own way. I don't believe that there's a hairy dude swinging a hammer and making thunder. I don't believe that me casting runes is performing magic or divining the future, I instead enjoy them to give myself abstract concepts to work with. Just because you're finding natural anomalies within the bible, doesn't mean it has to be any less true in its meaning to *you* specifically.

Take some of it with a grain of salt, people, historically and now, like to write things to explain their surroundings, and as such, when we don't have all of the answers, we get some facts wrong here and there. Doesn't make the message any less meaningful.

But word of advice, the eddas say that I'm supposed to invite someone into my house, even if it's the middle of the night and they're shady as fuck just like the bible says to stone your child at the end of the street if they don't love you enough. There's some outdated things and ideas there that need to grow with the times, so just make sure you're scrutinizing when able :P

All paganism is neonazi cuck trash.
You still have no faith, you're just LARPing. Typical STEMsperg.

The Heliand, an Old Saxon adaptation of the New Testament from the 9th century, differs from the New Testament in that an explicit reference is made to a dove sitting on the shoulder of Christ. Regarding this, G. Ronald Murphy says "In placing the powerful white dove not just above Christ, but right on his shoulder, the Heliand author has portrayed Christ, not only as the Son of the All-Ruler, but also as a new Woden. This deliberate image of Christ triumphantly astride the land with the magnificent bird on his shoulders (the author is perhaps a bit embarrassed that the bird is an unwarlike dove!) is an image intended to calm the fears and longings of those who mourn the loss of Woden and who want to return to the old religion's symbols and ways. With this image, Christ becomes a Germanic god, one into whose ears the Spirit of the Almighty whispers".[20]

>this buttblasted retard in every thread about religion
Will you fuck off and take incaposter with you? It's incredibly grating. I admire your dedication but move on already.

this quite isn't real

>My question is if it's possible for me to have faith that doesn't waver?

Mortals are confused about what "faith" means. "Faith" is trusting God, "Credulity" is trusting a book.

youtube.com/watch?v=9QageVk0vAQ

If the only thing between sanity and anxiety is faith you should know that your anxiety is literally made up and you can end it as soon as you realize that you lost the anxiety from baseless belief in something so you can lose it from baseless belief of nothing in particular.

>gonads
Still belief. The amount of incomprehensible mechanism and concepts only have one possible answer. God.

>there are people so weak they can't handle the thought of life without magic man watching over them

This planet needs to get purged soon

>there are people so weak they can't contemplate the fact that there are things the human brain can't comprehend

This planet doesn't need another lunatic wanting to purge it again.

I dislike pagans as much as the next guy, but "purging" is a pretty edgy solution, tbqh.

This is why nobody likes americans, you retards can't even get a fucking joke

Quiet or we completely remove our money aid to keep your social democracies "working".

I'm eastern yuro, though.
And what makes you think it was a joke? It doesn't exhibit any characteristics of one.

Jokes on you, we get money from Putin

I am not going to explain Veeky Forums humor to you what the fuck, just lurk more

That's 9gag humor, though.
t. knower

I say it with kindness: you need psychological help, user. No "faith" will heal you, quite the contrary.

>xddd stop criticizing mee fucking normie REE

Don't look back. Start reading Plato and gain a superior understanding of theology and morality. Once you have your feet wet, incorporate some aristotle. Also, on the side, read herodotus, thucydides, and then Xenophon's hellenica and anabasis. Also, read some Xenophon in general. You will know where to go from there without any other advice. Don't touch the bible again, at least not until you have achieved a sense of calm.

>But I am constant as the Northern Star

>Polaris is a multiple star, comprising the main star (Polaris Aa, a yellow supergiant) in orbit with a smaller companion (Polaris Ab); the pair in orbit with Polaris B (discovered in August 1779 by William Herschel).
>Polaris A, the supergiant primary component, is a low-amplitude Population I classical Cepheid variable (population I variable stars that exhibit regular radial pulsations with periods of a few days to a few weeks and visual amplitudes from a few tenths of a magnitude to about 2 magnitudes)
>the variability of Polaris had been suspected since 1852; this variation was confirmed by Ejnar Hertzsprung in 1911.
>The range of brightness of Polaris during its pulsations is given as 1.86–2.13, but the amplitude has changed since discovery. Prior to 1963, the amplitude was over 0.1 magnitude and was very gradually decreasing. After 1966 it very rapidly decreased until it was less than 0.05 magnitude; since then, it has erratically varied near that range. It has been reported that the amplitude is now increasing again, a reversal not seen in any other Cepheid.[2]
>The period, roughly 4 days, has also changed over time. It has steadily increased by around 4.5 seconds per year except for a hiatus in 1963–1965. This was originally thought to be due to secular redward evolution across the Cepheid instability strip, but it may be due to interference between the primary and the first-overtone pulsation modes. Authors disagree on whether Polaris is a fundamental or first-overtone pulsator and on whether it is crossing the instability strip for the first time or not.
>The temperature of Polaris varies by only a small amount during its pulsations, but the amount of this variation is variable and unpredictable. The erratic changes of temperature and the amplitude of temperature changes during each cycle, from less than 50 K to at least 170 K, may be related to the orbit with Polaris Ab.

What did God mean by this?

that ur a brainlet

Also:
>Research reported in Science suggests that Polaris is 2.5 times brighter today than when Ptolemy observed it, changing from third to second magnitude.
>The moving of Polaris towards and, in the future, away from the celestial pole, is due to the precession of the equinoxes.[23] The celestial pole will move away from α UMi after the 21st century, passing close by Gamma Cephei by about the 41st century. Historically, the celestial pole was close to Thuban around 2750 BC,[23] and during classical antiquity it was closer to Kochab (β UMi) than to Polaris.[24] It was about the same angular distance from β UMi as to α UMi by the end of late antiquity. The Greek navigator Pytheas in ca. 320 BCE described the celestial pole as devoid of stars.
>Polaris was used for navigation at least from late antiquity, and described as ἀεί φανής (aei phanēs) "always visible" by Stobaeus (5th century), and it could reasonably be described as stella polaris from about the High Middle Ages.
>In more recent history, in Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, written around 1599, Caesar describes himself as being "as constant as the northern star", though in Caesar's time there was no constant northern star.

Faith is a gift from God, there is no trick to make it happen.
>The bedouins say, "We have believed." Say, "You have not [yet] believed; but say [instead], 'We have submitted,' for faith has not yet entered your hearts. And if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not deprive you from your deeds of anything. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful."

>autism

Will do. This seems very interesting.

Great, I'm glad to hear it. If you like community, you could even join some stoic groups on Facebook etc. I'm not saying you ought to be a stoic, but they come from the classical tradition and there are large numbers of them.

In regards to Plato, there's a lot of dialogues, so I would recommend starting simple with some of the shorter and very relevant texts.

The Apology is a popular place to start. It is short and it touches on a lot of the issues that concern you, like purpose and mortality. It inspires the reader to continue studying, too.

There are a lot of video lectures on youtube, too. Gregory Sadler produces short videos that are accessible and discuss particular issues and dialogues. There are many others doing it, too.

BEGOME SUNNI user :DDDD

>My question is if it's possible for me to have faith that doesn't waver?

It shouldn't have been possible to begin with. Religious people should have doubts. Doubts are human. If you don't have doubts you're a fanatic.

'His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters; He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edged sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength.'

>Without Christianity, life doesn't seem worth living
Why?

>Jordan peterson's lectures

nice meme

>another God loving Nazi.
You theists sure know how to pick 'em

I've already tried stoicism and it wasn't really able to help because there's a very religious aspect built into it that essentially became meaningless. The Discourses of Epictetus was the best of the three main books imo but he constantly spoke of God (yes not the Christian God). A combination of Christianity and Stoicism was always effective for me but Stoicism alone seemed neutered in my personal case.

>i'll never understand "something i didn't prove"
We know.

Not him but for fuck sakes this "larper" meme is so beneath Veeky Forums and is a poor attempt to silence actual discussion of religious beliefs that have been existing for centuries and stops us from getting a modern perspective on how it evolved. You do not have a monopoly on faith could easily be called larpers by the rest of the Abrahamic community as well as that of other religions. This honestly looks like projectionism against your own faith or failure to accept the world is bigger than you thought growing up