Jesus's resurrection

This this thing happen Veeky Forums? Paul wrote in 1 corinthians 15 that more than 500 people saw Jesus at once after he was crucified. What does Veeky Forums think

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HE IS RISEN!

Well, I certainly believe in the Empty Tomb, since it's in all the gospels, even the earliest versions of Mark, which contain no post resurrection appearances by Jesus, although Resurrection is implied-it's not like he just says the tomb is empty.
Also, I don't think St Paul is a good person to believe, since he wasn't there.

But 1 corinthians is earlier than all the gospels

The resurrection is made explicit when Jesus cooks breakfast for the disciples on the beach in John 21.

There is as evidence for Jesus as their is for Herakles. So there's that.

There is more evidence of the fucking holocaust

But if Paul were to see Jesus years after the crucifixion, could Paul not infer that Jesus rose from the dead?

The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the best recorded event in ancient history.

This is supposed to be a history board, is it not?

And yet not one shred of evidence for Heracles, whom you have absolutely no idea was a real person deified by the Greeks thousands of years later.

Veeky Forums is a containment board for historically illiterate autists.

>best recorded event in ancient history.

Mentioned in ONE book written generations after the event? You call that "recorded"? What a dope!

most recorded does not mean best recorded

Accounts of some of the most notable historical events have also been made after a time that you call "generations" had passed and sometimes even longer. Also the Bible isn't a single book.

No event mentioned ONCE generations later is at all reliable, and there are countless events attested multiple times by contemporaries, the only way you could claim Jesus is "the best recoded" is if you're a liar. Oh but you already said you were Christian, so I guess that goes without saying.

Paul's conversion post dates the Ascension. For all he knew, that was Jesus' ghost

>Generations
>Mark dates to like 65 AD

“Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. For these reasons the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me. Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”

Now as he thus made his defense, Festus said with a loud voice, “Paul, you are beside yourself! Much learning is driving you mad!”

But he said, “I am not mad, most noble Festus, but speak the words of truth and reason. For the king, before whom I also speak freely, knows these things; for I am convinced that none of these things escapes his attention, since this thing was not done in a corner. King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you do believe.”

Just a stolen tale, a mockery of Egyptian Religion.

Horus the Child
>Born on the 25th of December
>His birth was marked by the Star Sirius shining bright
>His birth was followed by the Three Kings
>Son of Isis the Virgin
>Had 12 Disciples
>Performed miracles, turned water to wine and multiplied the fishes
>Purified the Dead
>Died and Resurrected

If you are a Christian of course you would believe in resurrection, but many think pagans did not believed in Christian miracles or vice versa.

We have evidence that pagans sent their sick and the folk who were "haunted by demons" to be healed, we have Christian writers talking about pagan miracles, but of course they associate itself with devils.

Nevertheless I suggest every Christian to look into the life of Apollonius of Tyana, someone who performed miracles and gained quite a bit followers, if that sounds familiar.

Apollonius was a meme. He was the pagan's answer to Jesus.

point is, there were many miracle workers Jesus was not a weird exception, neither Apollonius
People were not awed by christian meme magic. Hell even emperors performed miracles

>A poor man who was blind, and another who was lame, came both together before him, when he was seated on the tribunal, imploring him to heal them, and saying that they were admonished in a dream by the god Serapis to seek his aid, who assured them that he would restore sight to the one by anointing his eyes with his spittle, and give strength to the leg of the other, if he vouchsafed but to touch it with his heel. At first he could scarcely believe that the thing would any how succeed, and therefore hesitated to venture on making the experiment. At length, however, by the advice of his friends, he made the attempt publicly, in the presence of the assembled multitudes, and it was crowned with success in both cases.4 About the same time, at Tegea in Arcadia, by the direction of some soothsayers, several vessels of ancient workmanship were dug out of a consecrated place, on which there was an effigy resembling Vespasian.

Yeah, people still ostensibly perform miracles today. That's not what makes Jesus special. Being the son of God does. The God

I do believe miracles deserve more credit in early conversions, healing and excomunicating miracles were esspecially helpfull to conversion, as the one god and son of one god and jesus jazz were seen as weird as best and trecherous at worst. Miracles brought conversion, not martrydoms not realizing how special jesus was. At least for the majority of the early gentile conversions.

Miracles are underrated in examining early history, since we are use to conversion not by miracles but by logic and reason and words etc.

Yes, but ultimately Jesus offered more than Apollonius. He offered salvation and order, where Apollonius was just a guy who could fix your cart with magic.

Jesus is with you everywhere according to doctrine, while you need to be physically around Apollonius for him to do anything

I've been delving into various theories.
Atwell's is fun and has eerie synchonicities, while the standard mythicist position is less of a conspiracy theory. The biggest red flag is the gap of time between the event and when the first writings emerged, then add in how it's fairly easy to track how the mythos evolved through the epistles into the gospels and through the gospels especially the differing versions of the empty tomb and resurrection. I mean if I was one of the apostles and witnessed that why would I wait 15-20 years to write it up?

If you are a Christian of course you would believe that but Christians did not had a monopoly in afterlife.

Many a prophets and religions and mytery cults offered afterlife and salvation, Many Neo Platonist, who despised Christians far more than any other imho, had staunch beliefs about the soul and afterlife, not counting other more monotheistic religions like Zoroastranism and Manicheanism (which became so popular that you have contra manichaeos from Saint Augustine)

also
>while you need to be physically around Apollonius for him to do anything
This is not what his followers believed, there is a reason why his myth survived his death

2000 years almost passed, and anal pain is still alive in Satan and his children

And yet in John 20:14-18, when the resurrected Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene outside the tomb, she does not recognize him as Jesus until he identifies himself to her.

If the resurrected Jesus looked different enough from the original Jesus that one of his closest companions couldn't recognize him just a few days later, it seems like this could be more of a symbolic resurrection than a physical one. Like the message of Jesus lives on, not the body of Jesus.

For the Son of Man will come in His Father’s glory with His angels, and then He will repay each one according to what he has done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

HE FAILED.
Go home and change your religion.

Mass hallucinations are possible. Hell, protestants who believe Paul are pretty quick to write off the various visions mass groups of Catholics have had, e.g. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

>Be Yahweh
>Want to give a message to your people
>Wonder what the best way to do this is
>I know, have a single man tell a small group of people in a remote area of the world and hope they record him accurately
>Also I'll kill him and raise him in a way that leaves no evidence of it having happened, hoping that people really believe the couple of people that see it happen
>This can't possibly cause any confusion or doubt