You're the leader of a Roman Province. The empire is gone and its all yours. Which provinces would you want...

You're the leader of a Roman Province. The empire is gone and its all yours. Which provinces would you want? What kinda of government do you establish? What policies do you pass right away?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharros
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want Aegyptus

What the fuck is wrong with france

Crete, Cyrene can go it's own way. My policies would be to import fast-growing pines from Sweden and establish a huge navy, both so my island can prosper thru trade, and so it can avoid annexation by outsiders. Also, guns. Government would feature democratic, oligarchic, and aristocratic elements, geared towards making people identify with the state and its prosperity by giving them all a stake in it.

I'd marry this qt

Take Britannia, focus all my energies on a navy to keep out Saxons and Irish and conquer the Caledonians if I can.

Pretend I'm Eugenius, son of Magnus Maximus to give myself cred with the Romans and use to old Celtic to get cred with the Celts.

I would assume the governorship of Tarraconensis and make the focus of my reign the maintenance of the road network. I would move the capital to modern Madrid and require the largest landowners throughout the province to make regular trips to the capital as a condition for retaining their land holdings. If my reign was successful and enduring, my long-term goal would be to build an ocean-going merchant fleet able to operate in the North Atlantic.

This is also the best place to avoid Attila

I would turn Bitynia and Pontus into a crazy Christian zealot state that will fight to the death to keep the muslims at bay. Hopefully the states in Europe will subsidize our efforts.

You might have to wait a little while

>Government would feature democratic, oligarchic, and aristocratic elements, geared towards making people identify with the state and its prosperity by giving them all a stake in it.
So... fascism

Yea Christianity has never been a major motivator for Christendom. Still I'd try to take all that Crusades momentum to just pumping us up.

Fascists aren't the first to hit on this formula, the Romans used it as the basis of their Republic and of course the Americans did too in their own way.

He means it will be over a thousand years before Muslims are threatening your province. Enjoy spending that time as a backwards fundie shithole.

I want Egypt so that I can just write a few letters to the emperor, resolve a few disputes, send in the legions to crush a few revolts, and otherwise chill out in luxury.

>Best Choice Tier

Aegyptus

>Great Choice Tier

Asia, Achaia, Africa, Macedonia, Sicilia

>Decent Choice Tier

Bythnia et Pontus, Thracia, Syria, tarraconesis, Narbonensis, Dalmatia

>Meh Tier

Alpine Provinces, Lusitana, Baetica, Sardinia, Corsica, Galatia, Lycia, Cappadocia, Creta et Cyrene

>Good Luck keeping the resistance down Tier

Armenia, Judea, Arabia,

>Enjoy getting fucked by Barbarians and Persians Tier

Britannia, Lugdunensis, Belgica, Germanias, Raetia, Pannonias, Moesias, Dacia, Mauritania, Mesopotamia (and Armenia too desu)

>Lol You're Fucked Tier

Italia

>Become King of Judea
>Bring all the Jews back
>Turn my kingdom into a Sparta-tier military state
>Conquer Arabia
>Kill all Christians in the country
>Serve as a dam against the flood of Muslims invading from Arabia

Paradise

>there are people who wouldn't governor Germania

Why!?

Because its like asking to get raped by your barbarian neighbours

I bags Aegypt-
Fuck, give me Tarraconensis. The governors of Iberian provinces have a pretty good track record in becoming Emperor.

I doubt there would be any Muslims without Christians.
Also do you have any idea how old the Roman Empire is?

Britannia, so I could stay alone on my autism and fuck my daughters.

GERMAN'D

>3rd Century crisis of Rome actually collapses the Roman Government
>Carve out from this implosion my own little slice of the Northern Adriatic
>Spring Mani the Prophet from jail
>Bring him to my court in his final years and adopt Manichaen as the state religion
>WE GNOSTIC PROTO-VENETIAN REPUBLIC MOW
>Never extend borders outside of pic related because pithy colonies always fail, and keep the government a parliamentary merchant republic with elective monarchistic features
What do you think?

Attila totally destroyed seventy cities in the Balkans

Bah, that's still a century away! By the grace of the Creator, we'll find a way — we're only the most north-easterly Balkans anyhow.

Thracia, I'm gonna need money and good land to retake rome.

sardinia.

No one would care about me, so I would just establish a constitutional monarchy so i can just live and just go with the flow.

Policies: no faggotry, and profession of the orthodox christian faith. All heretics are burned.

But you can't pick Sardinia, it was uninhabited until the 19th century. It's too far from the shore to get there by boat.

if I may offer some assistance ...

> roman city of Tharros
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharros

do u even history bro?

Hahah oh wow you really are a dope! That's just a modern (((reconstruction))) built by Victorians. Google "folly", they loved building picturesque ruins.

>not picking Britain

All you need to do is
>don't hire germanic fedorati
>stop crossing in to gaul with the army to become Emperor
>suddenly you have have enough troops to defend against the Picts, Irish and Germanics

Its that ez.

>Don't get assassinated like Gratian and Marcus
Is probably the hardest part but I reckon everyone would face the occasional assassination plot.

I was in that thread.

I'd pick Sardinia and Corsica
I'd try to unite them under one king with political marriadges and favors
I'd make an effort to heavily fortify the coast zone
I'd try to maintain peace with the free people of Barbaria so that they don't chimp out and practice banditism
A reformation of the army will be in order together with a new fleet
Also, orthodoxy all the way

>trying to unify uninhabited islands

Top kek!

>not knowing that before humans giants lived there and the nuraghi are their fossilized genitalia

Top kek back to you

Have fun dying of Malaria

aegyptus easily. try to bolster national defense/ security against foreign aggression whilst focusing on improving the agriculture and investment in technological advances and improving the lives of the citizens

What?

Sardinia had 350,000 inhabitants during Roman times, I don't know about Corsica

I'd pick Lusitania, government would be a constitutional monarchy with a senate like Rome's, with a king/consul-for-life who each year chooses from among the elected senators a co-consul.
I'd work it so that the king has a lot of power, which he doesn't use, most decision taken by the senate and elected consul. The senators all looking for the king's favour because he chooses the consul.
Wouldn't mind also having Baetica, fortify Gibraltar, build a big trading fleet, and a military one.
Breed horses, have mines and farms.
Multiple wives, because why not? I'm king. Pick the best kids for tribune or consul, see which one does it best and choose them as successor.
Do my best to give them a hard-on for civic duty, the senators and their kids as well, Cinncinatusboos and all that.
Legions would be loyal to the crown, not the senate. Crown pays them and they swear an oath to the crown.

Egypt sounds like a nightmare.
>Almost everyone around you are nomadic desert people that could turn to raiding at a moments notice
>Various Christian sects having autistic fits over the nature of Christ
>Have to pay thousands of people to sweep sand away
>Getting sand all in your clothes n shit

Don't forget the autistic rage Greeks and Jews have when near each other.

Achaia, fortify the mountains, rule as a monarch, be loyal to the church, until some Christian empire forms out of the mess at which point I swear loyalty

no it didn't
until the age of discovery naval technology wasn't advanced enough to colonise sardinia
and even if you could make it, it would take years, if not decades.

Africa
>encourage farming to make sure there's a vigorous output of wheat and olive oil
>encourage the immigration of people from traditionally skilled ship-building regions
>build a navy and keep the previously established trade routes clear as long as possible
>encourage more immigration, this time from the areas of the Empire that have dispossessed farmers and put them to work on my manors
>as the population of immigrant labor grows, have native farmers conscripted into a military force to prepare for the barbarian invasions from Spain
>when the Vandals arrive, give them the same terms as the Imperial immigrants, and destroy them if they refuse

Britannia
Something akin to a Roman Republic with the upper class having a Senate and the lower class having a Plebeian Assembly. Fuck London though, we're moving the capital somewhere better defensible and less nasty - perhaps Bath?

What about Colchester?

Or pissed off nigger egyptboos to the South trying to either revive the pharaoh Egypt or trying to impose Coptic Christianity on you. Good luck.

And who knows, there might be something in the land that drives the leaders to inbreeding.
Ptolemys were Greek and they ended up marrying their sisters.

Though that might be a plus for some.

It has to be something Mediteranean. The Habsburgs didn't start fucking their sisters until they took over Spain.

Dont forget they are the most riotous people ever.