Why are medieval paintings so weird/where can I find more of them?

Why are medieval paintings so weird/where can I find more of them?

They are miniatures user. They are small as fuck and this doesn't look that bad when looking with naked eye.
Plus it's was used alongside margins by monks as a imageboard really

Probably code words. They probably wanted to hide themselves from the Nobles who would target them.

>that image
Someone needs to make one of those party outcast memes with a monk surrounded by manuscripts and all these complaints in greentext.

They're weird because by the end of the Classical period, people had devolved into a state of mental retardation. Hence the dark ages, the lack of perspective in art for 1500 years, etc.

>They're weird because by the end of the Classical period, people had devolved into a state of mental retardation
hahhahahaha
do you even read history?
a bunch of savage people invaded a civilized society destroyed and raped everything, the result?

dark ages

That's not a painting, it's the medieval equivalent of a notebook doodle. It's only a few square centimetres in size.

This is a medieval painting.

Some of the art was unintentionally funny

Please be bait

It's an illustration. The passage probably describes a dream where a bird came and gave the narrator a vision.

Dream allegories were a popular genre in the Middle Ages

So the people were replaced/mixed with invading savages. No doubt this further spoilt the bloodlines and accelerated the degeneration of Europeans into Abrahamic dirt-farmers who could barely draw a decent stick figure.

Post-Classical history is so depressing; even the late-classical period is almost unbearable. When the ancients next walk the earth again, I pray things turn out better.

They just are

>When the ancients next walk the earth again, I pray things turn out better.
>When the ancients next walk the earth again
>ancients next walk the earth

huh...?

it was germanic, they destroyed the WRE, bringing the dark ages to those lands

they destroyed everything, libraries, books, scientist, artists, etc

I remember reading something about how art back then was supposed to be for the glory of god and not man, so it's why people in art weren't very detailed and had very neutral expressions regardless of circumstance.

There were no dark ages. It's a shitty, long discredited meme.

d-do you like it?

Th Classical world seems to have been in a deep, likely irreversible decline from 3rd c. CE. That the Huns did their bit along the way is unsurprising.

The absolute high point of human achievements in many regards occurred between 5th & 3rd c. in Europe and China. But, as is taught, everything with a beginning has an end.

Yes, this follows because there is no creation or destruction.

So, it is only a matter of change until all is reorganised and reality resembles the 5th through 3rd c. BCE. Either on Earth or another planet.

The works of Plato and Aristotle actually all exist in potential today (and possibly in actuality on another planet or on a carbonized scroll at Herculaneum). They will be written and available for viewing if you wait long enough.

It is inevitable.

>when you gotta fill your rape quota and all that's nearby is an old lady

This will do

They were bored so they shitposted.

>That armor

Anyone have the one where like 3 people are murdering a guy in a field and he's like "come on man"

Because they were based on interpretations by shut ins of here say.

>Try and eat me now asshole!

FLAM'D

That's the most bored knight fighting the world's least threatening dragon, I suppose.

That dragon looks like he's more hurt emotionally than physically.

>I...I thought we were friends
>I don't want to fight you, george

>Whatever

This is true. They even had manuscript memes.

>nothin' personal, kid

There seems to have been a kind of rebellion, in which the rabbits overthrew their human masters, while the dogs remained loyal.

The monkeys seem to have remained a neutral party.

It looked that way, because the artists were mostly monks with little ability. They were mostly drawing illustrations based on tradition, because old Roman Books had illustrations. Nobody was teaching them, before artistic conventions became commonplace.

It got better later, once it became a trade

That's a bear.
This is most likely an animal allegory, in the vein of something like Reynard

wtf i hate rabbits now!

>BEGONE THOT

This is the massacre of the infants, but here's a similar picture of Neoptolemos killing Priam with his grandson.
That's a man

Here's an example of how later, ~13th century, Manuscript artists would have been taught. You have little formulae to draw your characters by.

>das it mane

It all makes sense now

> I want to read about the rabbit rebellion

Rabbits do have a habit of being assholes in these things, no fucking clue why.

Rabbits are infamous for being pests in agrarian societies. fuckers don't stop eating till they shit out 10 kids and die.

a bit like niggers really

Better question, when did artist learned how to draw well?

There were said to be some internal disputes

C A L L E D F O R

Fucking Homuncular Jesus

>hell comes out of jesus' arse
kek

lolmao top kek :)))

The bird is a caladrius, it appears only to people who are on their deathbed. On the way the bird acted around them it depended whether they'd live through the illness. The miniatures are not that odd if you actually knew anything about the period.

The quest for purpose in life
Day 1532
>I have been killing these cheeky dragons for years now but it isn't the same anymore ... there must be more to life

this pic gets me horny every time

Bosch makes most sense in the manuscript context. Most of his monsters have analogues in Medieval drolleries, as does his color preferences, pinks/reds and blues, and the way he formulated his figures.
There was a large overlap between Manuscript illuminators and panel painters in the Netherlands at the time. Painters like Jan van Eyck, Gerard David, and Rogier van der Weyden were all illuminators.

>my feet hurt

>"O little book! A day will come in truth when someone over your page will say, "the hand that wrote it is no more."

Monk existencial crisis, right in the feels.

Jesus Christ, it's enough that we have to deal with your dumb ass on Veeky Forums. Why are you here?

Medieval Manuscripts on Twitter.

that pic is old, you should get a new one
i will post a new pic this week, lurk so you can save it