They decoded the Voynich Manuscript!

They decoded the Voynich Manuscript!

arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/the-mysterious-voynich-manuscript-has-finally-been-decoded/

Other urls found in this thread:

motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wnj43x/gods-lonely-programmer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Huge news.

So it's about medicine?

Who the fuck cares...

Fuck off nigger. This is huge news.

/x/ on suicide watch

>& humanities strikes again

>Reading early modern latin medical texts isn't history related

Have some yous

Is there translated text with images somewhere?

Quite underwhelming tbqh. I was hoping for it to be something composed by a schizophrenic monk who had visions about other realities or something. That or some heretical superstition.

No it's turned out just a manual on how to keep your vagina clean and shit...

Not true. This article is a product of alien slaves who want to keep their secret code a secret. Don't let yourself be fooled by them!

but why is there vedic astrology in there? (black serpent etc.)

medieval medicine was silly like that

Wasn't there already a thread about this?

I need a quick rundown.

It's Cosmopolitan for the late Medieval Era.

Because astrology was used in medicine at the time.

WTF NO SATANIC RITUALS?

FAKE NEWS

science illiteracy at its finest
some pop e-zine reports on a new theory and it's presented as a "discovery"--THE TRUTH AT LAST
of course there's a bunch of theorists who think they've decoded the voynich
now there's one more

This one is actually very convincing

90% of the article just discusses the imagery, much of which was already known (or at least speculated upon). He doesn't present any evidence of having translated it beyond a single sample sentence.

right, because the "convincingness" of a theory is something that can be determined (a) scientifically and (b) by amateurs after reading one pop science article

We need a standard unit of measurement for convincingness. I nominate the "Legit" (Le.)

Why is everyone acting like some botonaist from the dark ages owes them more. This is real history, a human that catalogued plants and medicines. This discovery confirms what humans are capable of. Better than living like animals.

Although aliums woulda been cool too

Because it was a favorite Reddit story and they need 24/7 explosions and CoolStuff(tm) in their historical diet.

what level of convincingness corresponds to 1 Legit?

10 convinces make 1 legit
10 co = 1 le

so if a theory convinces 10 people it has 1 Legit?

sounds legit. The President of science approves.

Its a fucking fake. This has been known since it was found. People from the 1400's often used stencils to make their own "languages" are incomprehensible to anyone who doesn't understand it and then make books full of mysterious bullshit and sell them as magic books. The plants in the book don't even exist. That being said, I have a soft spot for the Voynich Manuscript because aesthetic as fuck. Whoever bought hat got their money's worth.

fake and gay

this is a hypothesis, not a decoding. if he had actually figured it out, there would be a translated version for us to read, not "yeah, it's probably [thing we already knew]"

They're lying.

They wrote it many moons ago. We do not know their purpose but can only trust that it was in humanities best interest

>"convincingness" of a theory is something that can be determined (a) scientifically
It actually can. It's called reductionist empiricism

>Wahh! Reddit!! Waah!!

If it were made by an insane person, it wouldn't be as logically structured as it is.

It's kind of disappointing for me because I had hope that nobody ever would decipher it, that it would be this one single thing where human reason stops working. The whole thing would be like some Borges story IRL.
So I'd be really happy if it turned out that it's still not solved, but this is a very concrete and convincing hypothesis. Kind of weird that nobody had figured that stuff out before, though. For example, Gibbs says that plants aren't named in the text but in the missing appendix (because that was common practice in medieval herbariums, they say in the article), which directly contradicts Bax, who assumed that the first word on a page would be a plant name (because that too was common practice in medieval herbariums, he says in his paper). And how come no-one else noticed similarities with other popular medieval medical books?

>If it were made by an insane person, it wouldn't be as logically structured as it is.
motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wnj43x/gods-lonely-programmer

It cant sound legit if it has only convinced you! You need 9 more people.