20th cent. mental health and lobotomies

Why was there such an increase in mental health issues in the 20th century?

Also, why did they turn to lobotomies with such poor results? It seems odd to me, perhaps they did these procedures more for research rather than the mental health of the patient.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Asperger
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the reason there was an increase in mental issues in the 20 century is because most of those mental diseases were made up by the jews to control the white race

Please expand on your answer user

you see after world war 2 there was a huge influx of jews most of them high skilled workers ie doctors they were mad at white because nazis slaughtered them like common cattle so they made all these mental diseases to control the white race and to get revenge.

There wasn't an increase. Mental health simply began taking its modern shape in the 20th century, and was far more often diagnosed.

>Tfw you search through the records and realise there were no signs of asbergers or autism in the general white population prior to 1945.

Kiddo, you can blame the jews all you want, but that won't make your Asperger's go away.

There was no increase in mental health issues. Modern medicine was simply able to diagnose people who would previously have been called sad, strange, or idiots.

Destruction of traditional family models. Believe it or not, but people generally loved each other more back in the past, as compared to today where even families treat each other like shit.

Partly because we're better at defining and diagnosing mental health issues. Partly because our societies pressure our lives in ways that exacerbate issues which our minds can't deal with easily.

I'm sure plenty of people had depression, anxiety, etc. in the past given its physiological nature they just weren't diagnosed. Even today there is a huge social stigma to being 'mentally ill' so people just don't get help with it.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Asperger
Hans Asperger published a paper that was nearly a carbon copy of a paper published in 1926 on Autism, you're full of shit.

Napoleon got pretty autistic the first time he was with a prostitute.

jewish pill shill

your welcome user we know the truth

You all say this but I don't recall a time in history when a mass amount of people were locked up in asylum for mental health.

Even if they lacked the ability to diagnose. Wouldn't they detain mad individuals in some manner?

What originally destroyed the traditional family model?

Mental Health Issues fuck you up, the traditional reasons we detain people (for mental issues or for criminal behaviour) is because they fuck other people up, it'd be a waste of resources to detain a depressed person.

are you dumb?

mentally ill people back in the day just starved to death, killed themselves, were put in prison, etc

there wasn't an uptick in mental illness, it's just that more mentally ill people are living longer lives.

It's kind of like if a motorcycle rider is wearing a helmet and gear they are more likely to be injured because if they aren't wearing a helmet and gear they are going to be dead instead.

Weird statistics shittery.

Different user.
Now ain't that the question of the half millennium?
Figure it out, contact a good historian, and write a book.

user we've had asylums for centuries, they were just little better than prisons.

>that thiccness
Dam son

In defense of the lobotomy, it did TECHNICALLY work in a lot of cases. it just wasn't worth all the side effects.

We had asylums but I can't recall mass detainment.

Do you fucking know what Bedlam was.

Jesus Christ you people are historically illiterate retards.

I personally believe it slowly dies as technology improves. We rely on each other less and less with every decade, and we get so consumed by it we don't realize how much we throw away for self reliance.

Right, it's also why people are talking about more veterans coming home with horrifying and disfiguring injuries than ever before

It's not that war injuries are getting worse, it's that our medicine is getting better and these people actually go home to their families rather than just bleeding out to death on an army cot.

Exactly.

It's like when the British army started supply metal helmets instead of cloth caps to their troops in WW1.

Casualty rates for wounded men skyrocketed and they were considering stopping the issuing of helmets until they realized that it correlated with less deaths to head wounds from shrapnel.

I am, thats why I'm asking Veeky Forums. I'm more of a /g/ kinda guy.

Interesting, so do you think AI, virtual reality etc, will make the family unit obsolete?

>The elder of three sons, Hans had difficulty finding friends and was considered a lonely, remote child.[3][4]
>He was talented in language; in particular, he was interested in the Austrian poet Franz Grillparzer, whose poetry he would frequently quote to his uninterested classmates.
>He also liked to quote himself and often referred to himself from a third-person perspective.[3]
So Asperger was an Asperger?

>Why was there such an increase in mental health issues in the 20th century?
Because of the increase of psychologists and psychiatrists.
Doctors only produce sick people.

Pic related. Come back when you are 18.

Do some basic reading yourself and then come back, dipshit.

Lobotomy was like golden boy of the its era. It was really popular and was even used for simple stuff like depression. It took quite a while to be replaced. Before that they would just send people to mental institutes(which werent all that better compared to prisons) which they would spend their rest of lives. The purpose of insitutes werent to save the patient is just put him/her away from eyes.

Medicine was getting good in treating physcial wounds, but the thing about treating a bullet in neck is that you've got to deal with a person who knows the experience of taking a bullet to the neck, Shellshock and other symptoms like it were a result of non psychological medicine improving, prompting study into curing people with severe psychological trauma, the second world war prompted this yet again, which prompted more study, and when the lobotomy was discovered it seemed to cover the bases of "curing" patients, and make no mistake, there was real medical controversy about the effectiveness of the lobotomy, the lobotomy was a consistently effective treatment in a time without many.

This is definitely a factor, but I think it's also pretty conclusive that we lead mentally unhealthier lives than a couple of centuries ago.

Is bojack horsman any good?

>Why was there such an increase in mental health issues in the 20th century?

1. Bureaucratic system existed to record, examine, diagnose, and treat mental disorders. History is created by shit people write down, regardless of victory or defeat.

2. A pharmacological system which introduced novel compounds and drugs in a short amount of time. JFK on legal meth, housewives on legal meth, professionals on legal meth. I would bet money that the legal usage, by millions of americans, ended up having a massive downer effect after years of use. The 50s as American dream fantasy and the 60s as a reaction to feeling the downer from a previous high.

3. We live in settings where the mass of population is utterly unprepared to try to navigate social networks of a size far larger than what existed in prehistory and history. The brain is constantly stressed and defensive around high density environments. The only people who actually "thrive" are psychopaths who don't have the cognitive load of trying to have empathy for every person they come in contact with.

It does sound plausible though. Like if I was a Jewish doctor in France and all my stuff got stolen and a number of family killed, I'd move to America and say that those people who did that were all autistic in someway.

PS: Cognitive load. The bullshit machines of modern society are effective because they ease the cognitive load by offering simple morality tales embodied as a single character in what is effectively no content propaganda.

PS PS: Disruption of sleep cycles due to inhibition of melatonin production via the blue glow of all our electronic screens. The brain produces waste, which needs to get cleaned up. The body has a number of "cleaning protocols" that only happen when melatonin is released.

CONT.

and honestly, I think a lot of it is the feeling of powerlessness that is instilled in public schooling and all the bullshit systems they process kids in.

When people talk about boot camp brainwashing people, it's complete bullshit. It's not the mental contents that are being brainwashed in boot camp. It's the regulation and habit of group movement and behavior aka marching in order. Waiting in line for a meal. Eating within a certain time. Waking up early. Fitting into the group to avoid a callout from authority. So on and so forth.

That is the way public schooling controls kids. Get them used to organizing in groups for some shitty lecture by a shitty lecture. Ad nauseum through 12 years of "education". Get used to eating food that is complete crap for kids. Wake up early, even if they're teenagers who should be sleeping in an extra hour or two.

Behold the true modern art, the regulation of "irregular shapes" of behavior and sociality of the masses into the neat circles and squares of people who send their kids to private schools. What do kids learn in private school? That only livestock attends public education.

Insomnia causes most deaths here . . . Show me the apartment
that lets you sleep! In this city sleep costs millions,
and that’s the root of the trouble. The waggons thundering past
through those narrow twisting streets, the oaths of draymen caught
in a traffic-jam, would rouse a dozing seal—or an emperor.
(Juvenal, Satire 3.232–238)

I think mental problems were bigger in urban rome than compared to anywhere else.

at some point in the FAR future i think synthetic biology combined with AI will make human connection obsolete

St. Bethlehem Mental Hospital, otherwise known as Bedlam. It was literally the origin of the word "bedlam" meaning "insane disorganized chaos".

For a TV show, it has kino-tier screenwriting. A lot of other aspects are lackluster, but it's worth watching just for the dialog and motivic development.

Interesting, your replies were insightful.

Thanks! What books are a good source of information for this topic?

It's pretty excellent, I don't like the leftist propaganda, but I think its worth watching.

What are you talking about? I don't know about the US but asylums literally haven't existed in the UK for decades. Enoch Powell of all people shut them down. For nearly a century we used to dump the mentally ill into asylums, mental illness is not a new thing.

When exactly did this start and what caused this trend?

People had more important things to worry about than some socially retarded spergs education back then

>I don't recall
Oh?
And how many thousands of years old are you?

Agriculture

jew

Prove it

It's pretty okay if you turn off the Veeky Forums poster chip. I liked this 4th season less though, too much centered around two characters I didn't give a fuck before (mainly because one didn't even exist) and barely any development for Bojack and his friends.

It's pretty horrific how we used to treat the mentally ill. It's not like we didn't know about it, John Locke wrote extensively about it and believed it was society's duty to properly care for these people. Sadly most institutions did not put his ideas into practice.

Not him but at least in the US, Reagan had the asylums shut down, primarily to fund the Star Wars program (which fell through anyway). Kennedy had already planned a switch to a more therapy and and home-based approached, and Carter started funding it, but when Reagan came in everything was shut down, including Carter's new programs.

Now I'm not saying we should have left the asylums as they were. They were essentially government-funded prisons where the orderlies regularly abused the patients. But you can't just cut off all forms of care like that, because you know where the mentally ill go when they have no support? Most become homeless.

Capitalism

In a really cynical way, I think offloading the mentally ill onto the streets had a more primary function of scaring the beejeezus out of those almost out of poverty and the lower middle class."If you quit your standard of living, these people are going to go inside your house and rape you in front of your mutilated family"

Then when they introduced "hard on crime" legislation, they were able to be perceived as protectors of a social order. Of course this credit was given for a problem that originates more in government than anywhere else!

Firstly: The traditional family structure has not been destroyed, nor will it be in that sense, it will just be one among many other family structures.
Secondly: I've read bourgeois drama from that time and I can tell you that families sometimes did treat eachother like shit and did betray and hurt each other. I'm telling you, at any given point in time there were families that didn't mach the ideal.

The Science of Sleep is an excellent midpoint between actual journal articles and pop-sci, written by the man who discovered REM in the 60s. Ebook is on libgen.

Not sure about lobotomy (or leucotomy) books, but they were ultimately valuable to understand the relationship between the frontal cortex and the thalamus, the bridge between which both -otomy and -eukotomy irreversibly severed. 90% of what we know about the brain has been found out by fucking with parts of it in living people.

Actually understanding there was such as a thing as a mental health issue and diagnosing it was primarily something that happened in the 20th Century.

socalism, nothing breaks the bond between brothers faster than bitterness about having to clean up after the lazy shits for ten fucking years

[enableSpoiler]yes, I am projecting, pls no bully[/youFuckingJew]